The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I got like two hours into Doki Doki Literature Club and the stupid homebrew port I was using deleted my save file.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 am the originals - at least the first two, I stayed clear of the supposedly shitty third one - had (really good) voice acting though!
Sure, and the voice actor they got is actually the same guy that voiced Isaac in the sequels, but I wasn't a fan of the idea then and I still think it's weird. Something about Isaac never speaking added to the feeling of helplessness, disorientation and claustrophobia that the game is so good at.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:47 am
THE KILL wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 am the originals - at least the first two, I stayed clear of the supposedly shitty third one - had (really good) voice acting though!
Sure, and the voice actor they got is actually the same guy that voiced Isaac in the sequels, but I wasn't a fan of the idea then and I still think it's weird. Something about Isaac never speaking added to the feeling of helplessness, disorientation and claustrophobia that the game is so good at.
Oh, so the first one didn't have voice acting - I was convinced it did. I played the second one for a lot longer than the first one. Looking forward to playing DS1 again on the Xbox360, no need for a remake IMHO... can you at least turn off the dialogue?
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eh, I drank some beers and watch all the Nier Automata endings on YouTube because that wasn’t cutting the mustard at all after Elden Ring. It has a better story & characters, but everything else is such a massive downgrade. Just going open world to sandbox is enough to taint the experience. Deleted.

You know what though? You know I’m seeing & hearing what might be a titan of a game to fill these shoes. Motherfucking Harry Potter game. Fucking new Harry Potter is looking like it might be the Visigoths come to sack Elden Ring off my psyche. Am I actually going to buy mo’fo Harry Potter game?

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

what ending did you get in elden ring? Did i miss that
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 am what ending did you get in elden ring? Did i miss that
I’m a complete deviant and Goggled “get laid in Elden Ring” and was informed to follow the Ranni ending. So, I did. I didn’t really look into any other endings, so I don’t know, but I did kill the Dung Eater, and I did become Hugs Lady’s champion or something.

P.S. Fuck these game “journalists” telling me to help them cancel culture the Harry Potter game. So, all the employees that make ends meat making this thing should suffer because your snowflake bones were broken by words. Fuck you!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah ranni or frenzied flame ending are the best
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:41 pm yeah ranni or frenzied flame ending are the best
I don’t know beans about that second one (Flames). I still watch some YouTube videos about Elden Ring. Mostly about some builds I can do in the future. There’s one badass gravity meteor swarm machine gun spell I wish I found. But, it’s crazy seeing a lot of NPCs I never met, and a few bosses like that double headed dragon.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’ve been meaning to finally play this bad boy for years. Be it the Gamecube or emulation. Looks like this is what finally does it for me:

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The Bill wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:46 pm I’ve been meaning to finally play this bad boy for years. Be it the Gamecube or emulation. Looks like this is what finally does it for me:

I bought this and I’ve played for a good chunk. Never mind the brand new graphics (which are fantastic for a Switch game, actually fantastic in general) but the controls are now proper First Person controller controls and they are wonderful. This game fucking rules now. Actually glad I waited all those years for this. Bring on 2 & 3, Nintendo!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Zero world problems. I had actually started Silent Hill 2 before starting Metriod Prime HD. Now, I don’t want to play them alternately or some such thing. Not these 2 games. I think Silent Hill is probably harder to drop in and out of.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Silent Hill 2. Still very good, but age isn’t doing most 3D PS1-PS2 era games justice.

Have to put a hold on Metriod Prime HD because my-son is using the Switch for some new Kirby game.

I think I’ll replay Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I want that samurai Yakuza game and Atomic Hearts, but waiting for a proper discount first.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:mastoman:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Alien Isolation looks and sounds fucking incredible, but I feel like I'm going 20 minutes inbetween opportunities to perform any action whatsoever. I'm kinda just slowly walking down hallways finding doors that are fake, then finding doors that are locked. When things are actually happening its very tense and fun, but I just don't think I have time for this right now.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:55 am
I’m very confused by all of that. It’s not on Steam, either.

The new Tomb Raider games are tonally messed up. This version of Croft isn’t some female James Bond type doing Indiana Jones type ways, but instead a hot dork who is obviously a sociopath. I guess you can say the same about a lot of video game characters like Max Payne, Freeman, or Drake. Yet, she doesn’t have that edge to her. Not like an American McGee Alice. She’s too nice and nerdy to be slaughtering animals and people with care free abandon. I like the games. I really do, but her character is truly fucked up.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Thats a funny observation :lol:

I haven't played a tomb raider game since the original on PC back in... 1997? Had the itch to go play around with the series again. Kinda split on just dicking around with the original, or trying the new normaltits ones.

Did a a quick search to see if any of them had been ported to Switch officially, found this absolutely bizarre shit.... I dont fucking know whats going on anymore

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... 15-switch/
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Playing a lot of bames lately because I'm in dadmode and its the worst time of year here

Metroid Prime remaster - great core game, absolutely amazing what they pulled off graphically. I was messing around with an upscaled version on Dolphin a year ago and this still beats the pants off that.

I have mixrd feelings about the Prime series, as a huge Metroid fan. Some of this gameplay hasn't held up too well, although its never really a chore. Exploring is great and the scanning gimmick us an all time classic, but the actual combat is dry and repetitive (especially backtracking). Worth it for the music, for me.

Doom 2016 - absolutely fucking wonderful experience, minus the platforming. I have bad joycon drift, and this was a tough one to handle. But i was really blown away by the level of detail and thought put into the levels... the music is famous now I guess, but christ i was surprised how much juice they squeezed out of Doom. I still play Doom 1 or 2 about once a year, big fan.

Doom Eternal - put this down after a few hours and might not come back to it. It felt a little wacky and arcade-y, playing it back to back with the first. I know this is absurd, but I was really getting into the plot and vibe of 2016 - this game is a lot more sarcastic and self-aware, which gave me whiplash.

Tony Hawk 1/2 Remaster - adolescence is feeling like you're punk enough to reject the thps soundtrack, adulthood is feeling a sense of longing when you realize they changed all the songs.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

The Mummy Demastered - was fucking amazed by this. I'm usually disappointed by nowadays throwback willyvania shit, they always make for cool trailers but I've never enjoyed one since Axiom Verge. This game rules though! And its based on the shitty tom cruise movie!
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

AM2R - Better than shitty stupid fucking Dread and more fun to play than Fusion. Beats the pants off that shovelware ugly Samus Returns from 2017. Why they decided to make the new games linear combo-twitch boss rush speedrunner shit for nonbinary furries is fucking beyond me.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:34 am
FVBTVS wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:55 am
I’m very confused by all of that. It’s not on Steam, either.
Yeah its on kickstarter they still gotta develop it
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I had the same experience w doom 2016 and then eternal. 2016 was orgasmic and fun but then eternal kinda lost me in the details and execution
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I think I might be on the verge of down right hating DOOM Eternal. It’s no longer a proper DOOM game outside of character design. The universe became something from 90’s Image Comics. Or better yet, the Darksiders games. Too much micromanagement during combat and atrocious Mario 64 platforrming. I loathe its ammo/health/armor system. And it makes me retroactively dislike DOOM (2016). Also, not a fan of arena combat.

Quite frankly I’d rather play Brutal DOOM or one of those mods (Zelda DOOM, Pirate DOOM, Castlevania DOOM…) than revisit either game ever again.

I’ll look into AMR2 and The Mummy.