The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Cryptoplasty »

I'm not sure if you are up to date or not, but Patrick has not been on the main podcast since Ryan Davis died in July. He has his own podcast with Alex Navarro on Mondays and Fridays. Alex and Patrick needed their own podcast. Neither of them fit in with the other guys, especially Alex. They both show up on the main podcast when they happen to be in town, but it's rare. Alex is actually really annoying when he's with the others.

As for Patrick...he's a smart guy, and really informative when it comes to news. He also really loves hipster games. I don't have much of a problem with him.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

copstache wrote:i sincerely apologize to anybody who's friends with me on steam today for all the notifications of me playing Deadly Premonition.

holy fuck this port is broken.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706035

Same guy who fixed Dark Souls did a fix for DP. He's single handedly saving Japanese PC games.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

Necrometer wrote:>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjd_Led5Xeg<

does anyone still play these?
OK, FF8 was the last one I played at all, and only halfway through at that, but seriously, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

You should play 9 it ruled :tup:

The graphics in that trailer looked incredible
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

riley-o wrote:The graphics in that trailer looked incredible
I think so! and the interactivity of environment looks like a lot of fun

my buddy who I used to play FF7 with is about to have a baby with my sister - maybe he and I can nerd out with some XV now that he's perma-homebound
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Wang Mandu wrote:
copstache wrote:i sincerely apologize to anybody who's friends with me on steam today for all the notifications of me playing Deadly Premonition.

Same guy who fixed Dark Souls did a fix for DP. He's single handedly saving Japanese PC games.
i've been using it, but it doesn't fix

- crashes to desktop
- freezing during cutscenes
- the map distorting, turning into error messages that stretch across the screen
- the game periodically deciding you're not allowed to aim up or down

compatibility mode helps, but i got to a point where i literally can't get past a cutscene because it turns into a black screen and crashes.

re: patrick. he's fine with written articles but i really can't stand him being on podcasts. he just sucks the joy out of them without exception
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

just played the lords of shadow 2 demo....

definitely wasn't super impressed. Partially because the combat was gimped (sort of the nature of a demo, so I can't be too critical of the gameplay because of it), but mostly because I'm not liking the setting and aesthetics too much. That was my big concern when the first gameplay vids started showing up, and the demo didn't help to diminish it.

I liked the huge variety of settings in LoS, from natural beauty to gothic architecture, but I'm starting to think LoS2 is all going to be bland industrial gloom. And the flying metal angel thing just seemed out of place. It seemed like it would be more fitting in Bioshock Infinite or something.

Not saying the game won't be good, and I'll surely play it, but not a day one buy for me anymore barring insanely good reviews. honestly, I'm more excited for South Park at this point
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

game informer gave it a 6. and that's game informer. not looking too good.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

i'll redbox it
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

and a 4/10 from edge... ouch.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

copstache wrote:i've been using it, but it doesn't fix

- crashes to desktop
- freezing during cutscenes
- the map distorting, turning into error messages that stretch across the screen
- the game periodically deciding you're not allowed to aim up or down
Yikes. I heard the PS3 version was crap too so I held out once the PC version was Greenlit on Steam. I'll probably wait longer to suffer through it but am still keen on playing it.

Got a Titanfall beta code and downloading now. Those dumb motherfuckers sent me an Xbox One beta code. :lol: PM me if interested and it's yours.

Edit 2: Finally got a PC code but I read it's going to be open for all today for Xbone and tomorrow for PC.
Last edited by Wang Mandu on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:

Durante is a god. I hope he doesn't have to do anything for DS2. I'm scared...
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Titanfall = kind of fun but not something I'm willing to pay full price for. I definitely see the appeal but I wonder if this will actually sell Xbone consoles when Sony is basically outselling them 2:1. I thought I was doing pretty well.in game (I usually suck at online shooters) but saw the results screen and I only killed AI bots. :| Definitely not the second coming the press is hyping it up to be but what else is new.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

so do the titans actually add anything major to the gameplay? They look cool enough, but I wonder if they're basically a novelty in the end
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

In the hands of a skilled player, I could see them turning the tide in a close game. Plus you can eject and have the Titan follow you around the map. I read about one guy parking his behind a building in hiding while he was sniping people. When things got crazy, he hopped down into the titan and flanked the incoming enemy titan.

The game is fast too so dying isnt too much of a hinderance....not sure.if that is good or bad.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Friday:

Why do I bother trying to sneak in Far Cry Classic when I know these pricks can still see me miles away no matter what I do? I still like the game, but I don't remember the A.I.'s Eye of Sauron abilities being this drastic. I also have huge issues with not being able to re-map the controls and that weapon select is partnered up with the grenade quick switch button instead of the gun quick switch button.

I found that Metal Gear Risings DLC was free so I DL'ed the dog & Sam packs. Tried to play as the dog, but once i got to the first cut-scene I knew I was too drunk and had a hard time paying attention as Mistral was rambling on and on about god knows what. So, it was back to Dark Souls for the night.

I'll talk about Dark Souls in the Dark Souls thread, but effective immediately it replaces Dragon's Crown as the go to game to play when I'm done with another other game I'm playing for the night, or I just don't know what to play. It also becomes the one sword and dragon game I have limited patience for. Sorry, Dragon's Crown, you were fun for a while but it's time to go to pasture.

No idea why I got so extra drunk Friday. I admit I didn't eat all that much during the day, but still.

Tuesday is Strider. I want this.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

While it wasn't exactly on my list to Santa, I did have some interest in that South Park game. Turns out it has a turn based element to it. PASS!!!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Irrational Games (Bioshock) shutting down...

http://kotaku.com/bioshock-studio-irrat ... 1525186316

Irrational Games, the studio that makes BioShock, is shutting down. BioShock creator Ken Levine said today that he plans to move on to smaller, narrative-heavy games that will be released digitally.

Levine, who ran Irrational, announced the news on the Irrational Games website today, noting that he'll be starting "a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two" and laying off all but 15 people.

"While I'm deeply proud of what we've accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we've done before," Levine wrote. "To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience."

The troubled development of BioShock Infinite was no secret—Levine's latest game was an expensive production, affected by multiple delays and scrapped features, which might explain his new focus.

Levine's new goal, as he wrote today: "To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally."

Irrational's final project will be part 2 of the BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea downloadable content,which is out next month. We've reached out to Take-Two for comment, and for more details on the future of the BioShock franchise.

There might be a bright note with a refocused Levine, but Bioshock is my lover, so I'm giving this news the big thumbs down at this point in time.

Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

not too surprising really.... 5+ years, $100+ million worth of development hell for a shooter that sold well but not close to the biggest sellers in the genre probably makes that a smart decision. can't imagine how stressed out Levine must have been
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

never really played bioschock in the end (dont care) but i am definitely interested to see what this guy does next given what he says he wants to do.
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

me too.... the guy knows settings very well, maybe better than anyone in games, is pretty good with story, but I think the gameplay in all the bioshock games is average at best (I quit playing the first one because I thought the combat was so janky). I'd love to see what he does with a smaller, non-FPS game
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

The Bill wrote: Levine's new goal, as he wrote today: "To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally."
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

but then having said that i played the titanfall beta for about an hour or so yesterday and it was godamn fun

too bad its not 2007 right now
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

a world of no wrote:narrative-driven games for the core gamer
Problem here is this means nothing intellectually to me but empty jargon talk. Yet, it makes me feel like he's talking about Two Souls or Walking Dead.

a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I have faith. He wants to make games for gamers, not casuals, nor the shitty fucking money machine corporations that don't care about their developers or their customers. I'm 100% behind developers wanting to make games for themselves and like-minded people. It's been a very pleasing trend the past few years. Hail Gaben!