The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:15 pm but the Steam version of RA works so well with n64
Which Core ya’ use for N64, and maybe more importantly, is it configured with mouse support for something like GoldenEye? Because I found some of the single player aiming impossible with the controller with that one.

Besides Cyberpunk 2077, I’ve been replaying Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the Quake 3 engine one) with a mod that’s right there free and easy to use on Steam. RealRTCW, it’s called and I use the Vanilla Plus version of it and it’s magnificent. Nice new graphics, weapons, enemies, and optimizations.
Eight Bit Alien
HATE RIDING BIKE...PULL ME.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

There's an emulator specifically prebuilt for mouselook/WASD with goldeneye- RA won't help you there. If you ever wanna do that let me know and ill send it to you. Ill warn you, it makes the game trivially easy.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:01 pm There's an emulator specifically prebuilt for mouselook/WASD with goldeneye- RA won't help you there. If you ever wanna do that let me know and ill send it to you. Ill warn you, it makes the game trivially easy.
Thanks. I know that it’s supposedly coming to Xbox, and should have better controls. If it’s only Xbox Series X or whatever the hell it’s called I’ll come visit a request upon you. If I can get it for Xbox One, wont be a necessity. Jesus, with the friggin’ names of the thing is giving me an aneurism.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Cone on man, don't be like that - and I mean the dissing of the Saturn as well as that fun-denying attitude...
anyway, at some point of its life the Saturn became the supreme 2d arcade game conversion console, see the Capcom fighters etc., and many of those games are still great today obviously. Unfortunately, you can nowadays simply emulate the original arcade versions, but in the 90s proper arcade conversions were the shit. Still, there seem to be great exclusives for the system, like Prius Dragoon Saga, the Shining Games, Legend of Oasis, Lunar, and Guardian Heroes.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

id like to want to play this one day. i watched my friend play it for a couple hours and all we did was look at obscene minor details like this everywhere and it was constantly blowing my mind
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:08 am

id like to want to play this one day. i watched my friend play it for a couple hours and all we did was look at obscene minor details like this everywhere and it was constantly blowing my mind
The amount of “realism” in RDR2 is grandiose almost to a fault where fun can give way to its grand design. Still, the polish is remarkable, and I’m highly tempted to play again it after Cyberpunk 2077 just to see which game has the more polished story missions. Only missions, though, as Rockstar is clearly the king of actual open world (sandbox?) construction and implementation.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:38 pm
spacehamster wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am
THE KILL wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am
Huh. I would have thought that components have roughly similar prices in different countries, otherwise I'd assume that people just order one from somewhere cheap. How much did you spend on yours, Spacehamster?
A little under 1700 CHF, i7, RTX 3070 Ti. But that's for a built brand-name PC because I can't be bothered to learn how to build one. If you can do that and you're willing to order components from wherever you can get them cheapest, I'm sure you can do it for less than that. What I do know is that prices for electronics vary wildly, and it's one of the few things where Switzerland is relatively cheap.
:shock: shit, that's quite a bit of dough... maybe I should just get a PS5 or something :tdown:
Yeah, for some strange reason electronics are generally dirt cheap in Germany, too.
Pre-Covid PC gaming was extremely cheap, specially in Germany. But nowadays it is still crap. The problem is still the video card, for which you can still spend anything from 700 EUR to 1200 EUR to get something just decent, and we are not talking about fancy stuff. The rest of the components already reached stability again, for CPU even the shittiest i3 is enough. 16 GB or RAM have again normal prices, and motherboards are again from 100 EUR for something OK-ish.

So you are correct, you will do much better with a PS5. Which is at the moment 550 EUR and they have graphics that are VERY decent, you will need a VERY good PC to best the PS5. Your roadblock in this path is your TV. Because probably you have a TV that can do only 60 fps.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Eight Bit Alien
HATE RIDING BIKE...PULL ME.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:39 am Cone on man, don't be like that - and I mean the dissing of the Saturn as well as that fun-denying attitude...
anyway, at some point of its life the Saturn became the supreme 2d arcade game conversion console, see the Capcom fighters etc., and many of those games are still great today obviously. Unfortunately, you can nowadays simply emulate the original arcade versions, but in the 90s proper arcade conversions were the shit. Still, there seem to be great exclusives for the system, like Prius Dragoon Saga, the Shining Games, Legend of Oasis, Lunar, and Guardian Heroes.

Hey man sorry. Listen.

My nephew put a virus on my computer, and it makes tiny computer watermelons appear on the screen when im typing. It confuses and startles me, and it also tricks me because they look so juicy and delicious that I get hungry. So while I'm trying to send emails to my boss or write on the Relapse board, I start to notice little watermelons, and before you know it I start slobbering and drooling all over the place - and thats about when everything "goes Haywire"!! It's only the beginning of My Headaches!

I don't know if you remember your science classes, but drool (water) is "nature's aux cable". So once I've built up a healthy column of slobber going straight from my head into my keyboard, before you know it I've got little short circuits happening left and right. I'll try to type "chicken recipes" and then BOOM - WATERMELON! Suddenly my hole starts pouring fluid, and a moment later my fingers get zapped with tiny lightning strikes! And before you can say boo, a darn shorted circuit has changed my google search into "bomb bridge Islamic terror cell" or "middle school wet t shirt swim team 2022"!!! All because my nephew thinks he's some kinda space age Bart Simpson!

And that's not the worst of it - not by a long shot! As if I didn't have enough to worry about what with the watermelons, drool-mouth, electric lightning fingers and mistyped emails, the darn pool of water will slide right out of my keyboard and into MY CROTCH! Thats right, if I see one of these pesky watermelons, then before you know it my lap is wetter than a dog who fell off a boat!

So before long I've got gigantic arcs of 120v lightning shooting straight outta my computer and all along my poor pulsating private-part pecker! I'm mistyping letters to Grandma, getting confused about fruit, and having my crotch electrocuted all at once!!!!!!

So please understand that when I say things like "Sega Saturn games are all retarded weeaboo games like Genki Genki Quest and Nip Nip Chicken Puzzle Racing" it's not what I meant to type at all! It's all because of these darn watermelons and my poor electrocuted penis!!!
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I hate it when watermelons mess up Sega Saturn talk. Don’t even get me started with the 3DO and hermit crabs.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

All you guys are like "ooh my ps5" and "oooh my pc games" while I'm sitting over here playing Marvel Snap on a phone, making all the sopping wet panties drop to the floor every time I play a Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur combo.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I think I may actually have to set the difficulty on this GoW Ragnar's Cock game all the way to baby mode just to see how the story ends because I'm done playing it. It's way, way, way too fucking long for absolutely no good reason. I think I'm about 70% through and it honestly feels like the actual game ran out of ideas six hours ago, and so now it just throws the same five enemy types at me in random combinations with absolutely no thought to whether it makes sense and it stopped being fun a long time ago. I'm just squeezing through loading screens masking as tunnels, listening to people tell me how they feel about their toxic family relationships and hoping the next combat encounter won't suck.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Krieg wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:33 am
THE KILL wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:38 pm
spacehamster wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am
THE KILL wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am
Huh. I would have thought that components have roughly similar prices in different countries, otherwise I'd assume that people just order one from somewhere cheap. How much did you spend on yours, Spacehamster?
A little under 1700 CHF, i7, RTX 3070 Ti. But that's for a built brand-name PC because I can't be bothered to learn how to build one. If you can do that and you're willing to order components from wherever you can get them cheapest, I'm sure you can do it for less than that. What I do know is that prices for electronics vary wildly, and it's one of the few things where Switzerland is relatively cheap.
:shock: shit, that's quite a bit of dough... maybe I should just get a PS5 or something :tdown:
Yeah, for some strange reason electronics are generally dirt cheap in Germany, too.
Pre-Covid PC gaming was extremely cheap, specially in Germany. But nowadays it is still crap. The problem is still the video card, for which you can still spend anything from 700 EUR to 1200 EUR to get something just decent, and we are not talking about fancy stuff. The rest of the components already reached stability again, for CPU even the shittiest i3 is enough. 16 GB or RAM have again normal prices, and motherboards are again from 100 EUR for something OK-ish.

So you are correct, you will do much better with a PS5. Which is at the moment 550 EUR and they have graphics that are VERY decent, you will need a VERY good PC to best the PS5. Your roadblock in this path is your TV. Because probably you have a TV that can do only 60 fps.
Thanks for the insight, fellow German. Looks like I will, indeed, look for a PS5, which, I assume, can also be used to watch Netflix. Re: the TV thing, don't worry, I have a video projector! (Which can only do HD resolution and probably 60 frames max... thing cost 500 bucks 8 years ago)

Honestly, I'm always wondering why people make such a big fuzz about 140 fps or similar. Arcade gaming has always been 60 frames at best and has always looked brilliant to me. I do admit that I have never played a game that was running at 140 fps, but at least in my experience, my cheap video projector has an image quality that isn't too far off from that offered by a shitty cinema. Then again, for me, video grames graphics peaked with Metal Slug 3.
Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 pm All you guys are like "ooh my ps5" and "oooh my pc games" while I'm sitting over here playing Marvel Snap on a phone, making all the sopping wet panties drop to the floor every time I play a Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur combo.
:lol: I've heard good things about Marvel Snap! Good thing I don't have a modern smartphone...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Pretty sure I haven’t touched this since before I was married. This is also the first game I finished since June. Now, this is the kind of FPSer I love. It’s not a “boomer shooter” thats more like Quake and them. This here is one of the children of Half-Life. Late 90’s/early 2K is gold.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

THE KILL wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:20 am
Thanks for the insight, fellow German. Looks like I will, indeed, look for a PS5, which, I assume, can also be used to watch Netflix. Re: the TV thing, don't worry, I have a video projector! (Which can only do HD resolution and probably 60 frames max... thing cost 500 bucks 8 years ago)

Honestly, I'm always wondering why people make such a big fuzz about 140 fps or similar. Arcade gaming has always been 60 frames at best and has always looked brilliant to me. I do admit that I have never played a game that was running at 140 fps, but at least in my experience, my cheap video projector has an image quality that isn't too far off from that offered by a shitty cinema. Then again, for me, video grames graphics peaked with Metal Slug 3.
High frame rates are needed if you are playing anything competitive, specially FPS, like CS:GO. If you do not have a very high frame rate you will be seriously handicapped.

For normal baming the sweet spot is 60 fps. For someone used to 30 fps (previous console generation) the jump to 60 fps is abysmal.

Good that you want a PS5, the bad news is they are still very difficult to find, specially in Germany. The best you can do is joining a Telegram group that will notify you any time there is a "drop" (gay name they have when a shop receives stock). You will have to jump on the spot because in one or two minutes everything is gone. There are "drops" about every second day. and to make things worse, most times there is something available it is not just the console, but it is a bundle with a gay game (FIFA is the worst offender, but lately there has been boundles with GOW). So they force you to buy a game you do not want.

This has been so far the best and the worst console generation, best from the tech side and worst from the logistics side.

P.S., I've used this Telegram group in the past: PS5 Radar | Der PS5 Bot
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I got my PS5 in a bundle with a second controller that I've never used and a Samsung SSD that'll probably end up in my PC instead, but at least both of those things weren't a game I didn't want, so I guess I got relatively lucky. It really sucks that this thing is still so hard to come by because purely in terms of graphics performance, you'll need a really good PC if you want to see any sort of significant improvement, and it also means that the games are generally more expensive - plus a lot of stuff is made to be backwards compatible with the PS4, so it doesn't look as good as it could.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Once again, many thanks for the insight fellas. :tup:

Honestly, I just wanna play Darktide and Vermintide...

I'll probably ask a mate to lend me his PS4...
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Games I play the most now:

- Marvel Snap: it's better than it has any right to be. I wasn't a Hearthstone guy, either.
- Slay the Spire: I played this too much for at least a year and I'm glad Snap came along to help divide my time
- Vampire Survivors: I put on a podcast and zone out
- Hades: Just started this and it sucked me in like everyone said it would.

After half-watching the game awards, this is what I'm looking forward to the most:

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i just tried vampire survivors for the first time last night and played 3 hrs straight 😅

stupid addictive
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:28 am i just tried vampire survivors for the first time last night and played 3 hrs straight 😅

stupid addictive
Seriously. Yet, what ever I do, I cant do shit against the Red Reaper. Not sure it is beatable without glitch tricks.

Been continuing my replay of the old Half-Life mod trilogy They Hunger, I started many months ago. Man, I either had more patience back in my 20’s for fan made shit, or I was desperate for non-stop first person shooting.

Oh, and I keep forgetting, but without that Netflix Cyberpunk series I probably wouldn’t be into the game as much. It’s like a video game manual without saying what the buttons do.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:29 am
Never really played Vermintide, but Darktide's pretty fun, and it gets 40K right. I hear the console versions have insane framerate drops, though, and I'm playing on PC, so I wouldn't know.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:53 am
Never really played Vermintide, but Darktide's pretty fun, and it gets 40K right. I hear the console versions have insane framerate drops, though, and I'm playing on PC, so I wouldn't know.
Re: Vermintide, surprised you haven't played it much since you're as much a fan of the Skaven as I am. Anyhow, is it conceivable that the framerate drops in Darktide will be eliminated by future patches?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:10 am
Re: Vermintide, surprised you haven't played it much since you're as much a fan of the Skaven as I am. Anyhow, is it conceivable that the framerate drops in Darktide will be eliminated by future patches?
Impossible for us to know. Is it an Unreal engine game? They have shader stuttering issues. Lower antialiasing, and if that doesn’t help, drop the resolution to something that’s still acceptable. Can you switch the renderer to DX11 or Vulkan, instead of DX12? All the advice I can offer as I never played it and probably won’t ever as co-op horde games like Left 4 Dead and such ain’t my bag.

*Edit* Oh, sorry, Just realized you were talking about console versions. I wouldn’t bet the farm it gets fixed well enough to ever be smooth.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:49 pm
Impossible for us to know. Is it an Unreal engine game? They have shader stuttering issues. Lower antialiasing, and if that doesn’t help, drop the resolution to something that’s still acceptable. Can you switch the renderer to DX11 or Vulkan, instead of DX12? All the advice I can offer as I never played it and probably won’t ever as co-op horde games like Left 4 Dead and such ain’t my bag.

*Edit* Oh, sorry, Just realized you were talking about console versions. I wouldn’t bet the farm it gets fixed well enough to ever be smooth.
Yeah, no way I'll spend a grand or more on what would essentially be a video game machine. WHenever I think about buying new video game related stuff, I remember I have so many old games lying around I've never touched :|
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Yeah, I dunno, I tried Vermintide briefly and didn't like it much at the time, but I can't really remember why.

No idea if the framerate drops on the PS5 are fixable, but Darktide isn't exactly a game I'd buy a PC for. It's stupid fun, but also pretty shallow and I'm sure I'll lose interest soon.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Also, anyone play Callisto Protocol yet? The reviews have been pretty underwhelming, but I'll have to get it anyway, it's just a matter of how long I'll wait and what else I won't play instead.