The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Hunter »

The Bill wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:09 am Does it have that turny joystick that lets you play games like Ikari Warriors or Heavy Barrel?
NOPE. It's also missing a spinner, so that's also kind of a bummer. BUT, it does twin stick shooters fine. Lightgun and spinner games can be played with the trackball pretty well. I haven't tried Ikari Warriors - maybe they use a dual stick set up for that instead? People mod the fuck out of the thing, so maybe there's some solutions for the spinner joystick?

Some notes about the AtGames Legends Arcade Pro:

1) User interface is a little laggy, unfortunately. Slow to get around menus, and not super responsive.
2) So many fucking games. Too many. Need to start deleting ones I'll never consider playing.
3) Pinball feels laggy - but apparently the deck works pretty great with Steam, so I'll try pinball on that and connect via usb to see if there's a diference.
4) Portrait mode pinball didn't work on an old mid 2000's 32" tv, but worked fine on my monitor.
5) Joystick restrictor gates are 8 directional, so older games that used a 4 direction gate feel a little odd. Minor gripe - and someone has a mod for a gate that transforms with a button press. Not sure I'd go that far with it.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone, but for me, it's pretty awesome for the price.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So after over a month of basically just being frustrated with having no idea where to go next, I've now played through Killzone 2 and 3 intead and started a new Cyberpunk 2077 playthrough.

I did finally find a guide that told me what to do after beating Rennala, though, and because I was probably supposed to do this earlier, I beat the boss at the entrance to the Altus Plateau on the first try, so maybe just maybe the game's finally got me hooked again. We'll see how long it takes until I'm just zipping around the map aimlessly again, though.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Note to self and warning to others:

Never ever play a game without a run option right after playing Quake. You’ll feel like you’re in molasses and it’ll drive you mad.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

elden ring is the best game of all time
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

FVBTVS wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:15 pm elden ring is the best game of all time
Yeah it is
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I would really like to play the Elden Ring but…

1) I see it’s constantly being patched and things are being nerfed. Would want the finished, polished product.

2) The dark souls formula is something I am sick and tired of. I’ve played several games that use it and have only ever like the original Dark Souls.

3) Too many goddamn older games I’m of the mind to finally beat/rebeat.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The patches are mostly just about PvP balancing, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Hasn't affected my game one bit.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I think i suck too much at those action combos to play it. Its like that right? Combat is complex timed button combinations?
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 am I think i suck too much at those action combos to play it. Its like that right? Combat is complex timed button combinations?
In the Souls games? No. Not at all. You have a very small number of different attacks and any combos almost always consist of just tapping R1 a couple of times. It's much more about reading attack patterns, and everything is generally slow, so the timing has everything to do with patience and focus and almost nothing with twitch reflexes.

When Demon's Souls came out, Miyazaki actually said he's bad at action games and wanted to make one that he could be good at.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

then why does everyone say they're so hard

your story is coming apart my friend

checkmate
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

in some ways elden ring is a lot harder in a pure sense than the other from games i played (ds 1 and 2) but there's also considerably more avenues and tools for beating their hardest parts than there were in past souls games. there's more ways to summon cool ai companions that assist in tough fights. you can also grind to upgrade those summons so that they are strong as fuck. most critically, they can take the heat off you in boss fights and do a shit load of damage or give you a half second to heal.

however, if you've never played any of those souls games before you're definitely way behind on how to play them and think about them so that you don't get overwhelmed and stressed out. basic stuff like knowing how/when to block if you run a shield. how/when to roll. how to go slow and how closely you need to pay attention to the environment.

checkpoints in elden ring, like the bonfires from previous games are way more plentiful and when there's no bonfire at a boss fight or difficult area(grace in elden ring) there's stakes of merika which are literally checkpoints you respawn at so you olnly have to run 10 feet to the boss door again. a lot of the "i cant believe i have to do all this fucking shit again because i died stupidly" from previous games is completely gone.

if you run into something completely insane that twists your brain into knots and has a hit box and attack pattern you literally cant understand theres more than likely a way to either completely avoid it and go somewhere else only to come back when your dick is bigger than it is or cheese it. the open world is so open that most of the time if you're having that haard of a time you're probably not high enough in level yet, doing enough damage or dont have strong enough gear etc

but then yes there are absolutely bosses who dont give a fuck about your life and they'll never let up attacking you until you are thin fleshy paste under their boots. and theyll even talk shit while they do it. the variety and rhythm of attacks from even just the first major boss in elden ring puts most of the challenges of ds1 to absolute shame save for 2 or 3 exceptions. i'm not looking forward to fighting margit again when i play a second time..

if you have a thick skull and refuse to try something different and only want to beat certain parts a specfic way or in my case look up some more information on the internet that will fill out your understanding you will have a hard time

most of the viral things you hear about elden rings difficulty are also about its opitional boss encounteres

they are hard but far from insurmountable

and dying a lot is okay
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

its the best game of all time
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:36 pm

2) The dark souls formula is something I am sick and tired of. I’ve played several games that use it and have only ever like the original Dark Souls.
I was definitely more primed and ready for elden ring because i skipped ds3 and sekiro for sort of the same reason
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’m drunk and I like fucking liking 70’s disco.

Beat Batman as well
Last edited by The Bill on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Good shit.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:38 pm then why does everyone say they're so hard
Don't straw-man me, bro.

Seriously though, I never really thought these games were as insanely hard as everyone makes them out to be. They're "hard" compared to a lot of the "press X to not die" stuff that was popular in the late 00s when Demon's Souls came out, or just generally all these hand-holding games that cater to people who really just want to watch a CGI movie and press a few buttons every now and then. I actually get the impression that games in general have reverted back to including a healthy level of challenge in the last 10 years, no doubt because of the success of the Souls series. But for anyone who's played older arcade games, they're really not that hard and very clearly designed to be beatable, it just takes a bit more patience than people are used to these days, and you have to actually learn how to play them and not just stumble past checkpoints while you're checking fucking Tiktok.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i played 9 or 10 hours of sekiro and that bitch is hard
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:13 pm i played 9 or 10 hours of sekiro and that bitch is hard
I felt that way initially too - part of it is knowing there's no way to just power level past a boss because the only way to increase your damage output is by beating bosses. And it's definitely faster and more reliant on twitch reflex than the Souls games, but by the time I had platinumed it, I could beat most of it in my sleep. It's just not an RPG - it only has one playstyle that works.

The one that gave me the most trouble was Bloodborne. I still haven't platinumed that one because some of those Chalice Dungeon bosses are just fucking impossible.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:05 pm I actually get the impression that games in general have reverted back to including a healthy level of challenge in the last 10 years, no doubt because of the success of the Souls series. But for anyone who's played older arcade games, they're really not that hard and very clearly designed to be beatable, it just takes a bit more patience than people are used to these days
Couldn't agree more. I mean, just play good old Donkey Kong, or Ms Pac Man, or many of the NES classics, they will fuck you up quickly if you don't know what you're doing... that's what it used to be like, and it was part of the longevity of those games. I largely suck at most bullet hell arcade shooters released in the last twenty years, but due to their brutal difficulty they still usually give me a rush that's hard to find otherwise.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat the Leon campaign on the original Resident Evil 2. I really do like the remake much better, but it has aged a lot better than I thought (haven’t played it since ‘98). And expect for a few pushing puzzles the tank controls didn’t bother me. It was also a smaller game then I remember as well.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Claire B play through. Yeah, it’s oddly aged well. Nice guitar music for end credits. Fuck modern day “hip-hop” and pop music electronic. Rip good music with real instruments.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Replaying the real original Half-Life 1. You can now play it at 4K. I don’t know what the fuck Valve did to it when they made Half-Life Source, but the original is so much better for some reason. Maybe the Source engine’s physics fuck with the game.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Finished Half-Life it mostly ages well except for Xen which is worse and worse every time I play it.

Hey, look at me. I’ve got an aging yet still POWERFUL PC and I’m going to put that horsepower to playing HL1 mods.

Finished Half-Life Caged. A touch difficult, very short, but very well done. There’s a nuclear explosion at the end for no reason at all.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I remember the early days of that shit, back when both Counterstrike and Team Fortress were HL1 mods.

Wasn't there some zombie mod for HL that was pretty big? That might be cool to check out now.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:06 pm I remember the early days of that shit, back when both Counterstrike and Team Fortress were HL1 mods.

Wasn't there some zombie mod for HL that was pretty big? That might be cool to check out now.
Damn that monkey!

I believe you are referring to They Hunger. Excellent mod back in the day, and one I'll be revisiting soon. This Aussie fuck does a decent review:

The same modder created the mod I just finished.
USS Darkstar. Really goddamn excellent. This was also the very first mod I ever played back when. I remember I only had a N64, and there were no good new games ever out for it, so I would check out PlaentHalflife.com before I went to work and download the newest recommended mod in the morning. I had that phone internet back when, so it would take the whole daggnabit day to downloads the thing. USS Darkstar was included with PC Gamer magazine back in the day, though. It's Die Hard via Aliens, without those Aliens, but the Half-Life aliens. It has a sequence where you're shrunk, which I'm thinking Duke Nukem Forever ripped off from it. High quality work. Damn that monkey!