Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Transmetropolitan #1-3
8/10 Looks very promising...can't believe I haven't read this yet.

Scalped #49
10/10 This is everything I love in a comic. This is the best monthly out there right now and has been for a long time. I can't recommend this series enough.

Scalped #50
9/10 Great guest artists make this one...and the ending = holy fuck
No Cunting Elves
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Honky Kong 64 wrote:Transmetropolitan #1-3
8/10 Looks very promising...can't believe I haven't read this yet.
:fonz:

The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria - 7.5
The Walking Dead - 83-85 - 8.5
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Bored013 wrote:
Honky Kong 64 wrote:This is the best monthly out there right now and has been for a long time. I can't recommend this series enough.
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/26 ... 803427850/ <--

??

Will check out.
Yep that's it. I started it skeptically because it didn't look like something I'd be into AT ALL...however the artwork was great enough to keep me interested and coming back up until issue #20 or so where the story really took off. There are a few guest artists featured along the way who helped me realize what a genius that Guera really is.
No Cunting Elves
kickpuncher
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by kickpuncher »

Criminal: The Last of the Innocent #1 - 8.2

Had no idea Brubaker was pumping out another one -- love this series.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Animal Man: Animal Man - 7
Animal Man: Origin of the Species - 7
Animal Man: Deus Ex Machina - 9
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Batman #667 The Island of Mr. Mayhew - 9/10
No Cunting Elves
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

I'd agree with that rating. Morrison's run on Batman stuff for the past 3 years has seriously confused the ever loving shit out of me (i'm still not quite sure I understand what happened during RIP, but whatever) but I'll be damned if it wasn't entertaining. Plus his run on Batman and Robin was fantastic with some of the freshest Batman villains in years being introduced (IE Professor Pyg). And he actually took Judd Winnick's dumb idea of bringing Jason Todd back and made the character not retarded. Never got around to reading Incorporated though.

I just want more of Batman: The Dark Knight. Story seemed pretty cool so far for the 4 issues, and David Finch's artwork is spectacular.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Batman RIP and most of Morrison's run on the regular Batman title: garbage.
Morrison's Batman and Robin run: good stuff.

The Batman and Robin books are an almost impossible accomplishment, really. I'm still not sure why it worked. Morrison's goal with RIP and the stuff that lead up to it was to get back some of the more out there elements and the goofyness, and I really thought he fell flat on his face with it. Then he turns around, does B&R, and it just suddenly works and actually looks smart. WTF? But boy, those were some fun reads.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

Garth Ennis has ruined anyone else writing the Punisher for me.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

spacehamster wrote:Batman RIP and most of Morrison's run on the regular Batman title: garbage.
Morrison's Batman and Robin run: good stuff.

The Batman and Robin books are an almost impossible accomplishment, really. I'm still not sure why it worked. Morrison's goal with RIP and the stuff that lead up to it was to get back some of the more out there elements and the goofyness, and I really thought he fell flat on his face with it. Then he turns around, does B&R, and it just suddenly works and actually looks smart. WTF? But boy, those were some fun reads.

I think the guy absolutely has a streak of very endearing genius, but absolutely no self-edit function. It's just idea, idea, idea, sometimes hitting extremely quickly, often without supportive structures like explanation, plot, or consequence. He really has a fantastic imagination and I'm incredibly glad he found comic books and that I get to read comic books he writes, but the mania of it sometimes makes me seasick.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
BLACK SKIRT SHAZAM GIRL. Anti-life equation! What if it was on the internet? All the girls are in bondage pigtails, but the anime heroes are confused and don't get it here's a nightclub in Japan, they mean for the best here they come to save the day! OK now the machine can use the power of wishing and there's 400000 supermen and the animals can fight too. THE BULLET WENT THROUGH TIME, remember my thing where batman had a secret batman inside him and there were 50 guys? OK good because he's about to use a gun, OMEGA BEAM!!!! rip batman rip. But not
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
From Blintzes to Crepes
Elitist Prick

Post by From Blintzes to Crepes »

Friendly Goatus wrote:I want to shout obscenities into her vagina and then whisper apologies into her butthole
monsterod wrote:I'm gonna skin my dick to this when I'm sober enough to cum.
Gunther wrote:shut up redneck
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

baller snipe ^
james wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
BLACK SKIRT SHAZAM GIRL. Anti-life equation! What if it was on the internet? All the girls are in bondage pigtails, but the anime heroes are confused and don't get it here's a nightclub in Japan, they mean for the best here they come to save the day! OK now the machine can use the power of wishing and there's 400000 supermen and the animals can fight too. THE BULLET WENT THROUGH TIME, remember my thing where batman had a secret batman inside him and there were 50 guys? OK good because he's about to use a gun, OMEGA BEAM!!!! rip batman rip. But not
:fonz:

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft - 8.5/10

This one grabbed me by the balls. Something about the way this guy
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Stephen King's son
writes dialogue is very refreshing. I can't wait to get caught up on this as I mistakenly saw something from the most current monthly and I'm wondering how the fuck the story ends up there.
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote: I think the guy absolutely has a streak of very endearing genius, but absolutely no self-edit function. It's just idea, idea, idea, sometimes hitting extremely quickly, often without supportive structures like explanation, plot, or consequence. He really has a fantastic imagination and I'm incredibly glad he found comic books and that I get to read comic books he writes, but the mania of it sometimes makes me seasick.
Yeah, that's pretty much spot-on. I mean, this is the guy who wrote Arkham Asylum, and I will never ever in a million years seriously cast doubt on the genius of someone who can write something like that. But I really wish he had just a slightly better grasp of what it means that not everyone else is a complete and utter lunatic like him, and maybe sometimes we need to have certain things explained to us maybe just a tiny little bit.

Anyway, Witch Doctor #1 - 7.5/10

I like the premise (House M.D. meets the Exorcist is basically how they describe it), but it needs to be fleshed out a bit better. Right now it's more like a geekier version of Hellblazer, and the great thing about Hellblazer is how non-geeky it is for a book about magic. It's also kind of funny to see Image release something that is basically a Vertigo book. But it has potential, and the demons look awesome.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Transformers Ongoing #22 - 10 Decepticon insignias out of 10

I've fallen way the fuck behind on my comic reading, but after seeing a preview of this issue on a few sites I got intrigued and decided to jump back in. This was a good issue to jump in with. For whatever reason, Megatron has surrendered himself to the Autobots and he is now onboard Omega Supreme with them en route to Cybertron. During the trip, the Autobots discuss his punishment. Should he be imprisoned or should he be executed? Prime also decides to talk to Megatron himself and try to get some insight as to why Megatron surrendered. The issue is, ultimately, the two of them talking, but damn if it isn't an engaging issue all the same. I'd imagine it'd be hard to breathe new life into characters that have always been enemies, as well as give them reasons for so (especially considering G1 Megatrons reason appeared to be RARRGH I'M A GUN I'M EVIL and not much more), but this issue does just that. It shows in flashbacks some of the incidents that lead up to Megatron deciding to eventually declare war, and in the present it gives us an interesting take on his and Primes relationship. The two swap political debate, war stories, and talk about how they met. Frankly, this is one of the best Transformers issues I've read in some time, maybe even ever. The art is fantastic too. Alex Milne had a tendency in the past to crowd his panels with other bots, backgrounds, etc. He has streamlined his work, without losing his eye for detail. The coloring in this is fantastic too. I look forward to the next issue, which will finish up this two part story arc.

Yeah, tl;dr, I know.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Is anyone really excited for DC's the new 52? I'm curious as to how well some of this is going to play out. Bruce Wayne returns for Batman #1, Swampy gets a reboot and also Blue Beetle! etc...

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/the-new-52/
No Cunting Elves
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I'm going to jump on it, but I'm confused about wtf will be going on. I read today that it will not be a complete and absolute reboot and some continuity is going to stick. I had kind of hoped for an Ultimate DC type jaun...
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm mostly using the reboot as a jumping off point to dump some of my subscriptions that I should've gotten rid of long ago. I'm also a bit confused about what's going on and frankly, I just hope it's not going to affect those DC titles I do still read too negatively. Pretty psyched about Capullo drawing Batman, though.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

Does DC REALLY need yet another reboot? They've had several already. Say what you will about Marvel, but at least they haven't the need to do a reboot like this every time somebody farted.
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1969 8/10
Good stuff, if admittedly little underwhelming compared to the first two books. Pretty slow at times. Lots of drug use. Some sex.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Shocking ending. I hope he writes another LOEG issue, I'd hate to think that this is the last we see of the characters.
Hellboy 1 & 2 9/10
Finally got around to reading Hellboy, and its great. Took me a while to get used to the graphical style; in a way, it reminded me of Sin City, but obviously with added colours. Nice stories, and mixing the world as we know it and occult and steampunk elements works amazingly well.

Swamp Thing 1-5 :what: :moreawesome: :what: :moreawesome: :what: / 10
Probably up to par with Watchmen. Fuck me, Moore's writing in this one is so ridiculously good that it actually made me laugh a couple of times.

Alan Moore's Complete Future Shocks :lol: /10
Lots of one-offs, most of them farcical, but even here, he experiments with the medium in very interesting ways.

I'm in the middle of rereading Sin City, and I'm looking forward to reading Daredevil - Born Again I've got waiting on my shelf.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Daredevil Born Again 10/10

Holy fack! I liked David Mazzucchelli's art in Batman Year One, but I really enjoyed the hell out of it here. In terms of writing, it's as great as The Dark Knight Returns, but also a lot slower, at times almost a pure character piece. Lacked a bit of a closing finale, though, but maybe the next issue picks up where the last one ended.

I hope I'll get to go to the post office later and pick up two other collected FM's Daredevil volumes and Elektra Lives Again. :mastoman:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'd like to re-read Born Again, but I've got so much stuff piled up that I haven't read yet, I'll probably never get around to it.

It's just a little sad how Frank Miller used to write stuff like that, and now he's, well... that.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote:I'd like to re-read Born Again, but I've got so much stuff piled up that I haven't read yet, I'll probably never get around to it.

It's just a little sad how Frank Miller used to write stuff like that, and now he's, well... that.
Well, granted his newer stuff isn't as good as the older things he wrote, but it's still great hard boiled exploitation. I'm totally looking forward to a new Batman Allstars volume and Holy Terror.

Asterios Polyp 9/10
David Mazzucchelli again, but completely different from what I would have expected. Difficult to describe, but it was a joy to read.

Shaolin Cowboy 1-7 7/10
Liked it a lot more the first time round. The drawings are, as usual, mindbending. Story not so much, the series basically consists of two long drawn-out fights. Almost like an adult version of Dragon Ball.

Robocop VS Terminator 9/10
Sounds like pure trash, I only checked it out because it was scripted by Frank Miller. was pleasantly surprised. A bit too much action, maybe.
kickpuncher
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by kickpuncher »

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Book 1 - 9/10

Some of the Floronic Man's dialogue was lame/annoying, but other than that I was enthralled.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

American Vampire #1 - 7/10
No Cunting Elves