Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
kickpuncher
Map, Monitor, Surge

Re: Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Post by kickpuncher »

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 2 - 10/10

Holy fuck. While I found some of the "fill-ins" rather tedious, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a comic storyline as much as the Underworld arc in this book. And the art... again, not so great on the filler issues, but the ending was just fantastic! And now: Book 3...
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Flashpoint 1-5 (plus random other tie-ins):

Fuckin fun. Goofy, but fun. Great ending!

Justice League 1:

First issue of the entire reboot. This didn't offend me, but it wasn't terribly entertaining. Thought the dialogue was dumb. Bleh. Only 51 more chances to seduvce me, DC.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

What the fuck is going to happen to the Batverse?
No Cunting Elves
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

It's very confusing.

I think:

Flash fucked up real universe, went to bad universe, came back to good universe - in doing do, remade universe. Now Wildstorm comics are part of DC Universe, and odd things appear to have happened to continuity - although a lot of old shit seems to have stuck around. It's very vague. No way to know until more books are out, I think.

The current series of Justice League takes place 5 years ago. None of the superheroes know who each other are, and it appears that the public views superhumans as something new and odd. I think that means all of Batman's continuity, whatever has been kept, must be squeezed into a five year span of activity...

Babs is Batgirl again though, I know that.

I don't like the new drawings of Harley Quinn.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote: Babs is Batgirl again though, I know that.
This seriously makes me want to scream and punch DC editors with my fists.

Anyway,

War of the Green Lanterns: Ergh/10. I liked the GL books a lot until the Sinestro Corps War happened. Then that was unexpectedly popular and DC decided to choke the life out of GL with progressively dumber crossovers. I'm not even sure I understood what happened at the end of this one, it was just some dumbtarded deus ex machina bullshit.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

I liked the Sinestro Corps War, aside from the rushed ending. The whole deal with the different Corps is kinda goofy, but whatever. Blackest Night was alright, but wasn't nearly as good as it could've been. Pretty much didn't see a point in keeping up with those books after that event.
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

IFryKids wrote:I liked the Sinestro Corps War, aside from the rushed ending. The whole deal with the different Corps is kinda goofy, but whatever. Blackest Night was alright, but wasn't nearly as good as it could've been. Pretty much didn't see a point in keeping up with those books after that event.
That's pretty much me, except I kept reading. Mostly because I started the current GL Corps book with #1, so it's hard to let go. I definitely enjoyed Sinestro Corps War, but it drew too many eyes to the books, and now they're ruined. Corps especially was great when it was this geeky space opera book that nobody seemed to read, and now it's just retarded.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

I don't dislike all the members of the different corps, by the way. Larfleeze is :moreawesome: , and Atrocitus is not bad, but otherwise its become a clusterfuck.

Space operas are my favorite kind of super hero comics, really. It fits the scope of how outlandish super heroes can be. I can probably read Annihilation a million times and never get bored.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the whole deal with the White Lantern made me think the Tigerzord was gonna pop out any second. Dumb as hell.
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

All that Lantern stuff appeals to me so much as a concept. Every time I think about it I start to geek out. But then I get sad because every time I try to actually read and enjoy it, I fail.

I liked the Sinestro Corps stuff with Superboy Prime a lot... thats going back like 4 years though now, haha!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

IFryKids wrote:I don't dislike all the members of the different corps, by the way. Larfleeze is :moreawesome: , and Atrocitus is not bad, but otherwise its become a clusterfuck.
I hated Larfleeze at first, but he kinda grew on me. Like all one-dimensional comic relief characters, he's best used in very small doses, but they've generally been good about that.

Otherwise, the whole "emotional spectrum" business was sort of an interesting philosophical concept in theory, but in practice, it just means every page of the comic now looks like a fucking gay rainbow, nobody can keep track of who anyone is anymore and the rings seem to just do whatever the fuck the writers feel like having them do at any given time. It just doesn't work. Parallax may have been a reasonably okay retcon idea to explain Hal Jordan coming back, but then they really should've forgotten about it and not made up ten more like it in different colors.
Space operas are my favorite kind of super hero comics, really. It fits the scope of how outlandish super heroes can be. I can probably read Annihilation a million times and never get bored.
I'm generally more into the urban setting because I grew up on Spidey, Batman and Daredevil, but Annihilation is definitely something I can get behind. :tup:
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

skimming back through transmetropolitan trades that my dad mailed back to me. fucking great stuffs.
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick

Post by CHUFFED beyond necropsy »

"The Plot: The Secret Story of 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion'" by Will Eisner - 8/10

(OMG Jews!)
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Acts of Vengeance Crossovers Omnibus - 10
kickpuncher
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by kickpuncher »

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 3 - 5/10

Vampires, Werewolves, and Slavery, oh my! :drool:
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

The X-Files/30 Days of Night - 6.5
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

kickpuncher wrote:Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 3 - 5/10

Vampires, Werewolves, and Slavery, oh my! :drool:
:fp:

Secret Avengers #7 - 6.5/10
No Cunting Elves
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Secret Avengers #16 (Warren Ellis)- 9.5/10
No Cunting Elves
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

X-Men: Age of X - 7
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

The Unwritten #1 - 8/10
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Annihilation Book 3

The conclusion to the Annihilation story is fucking fantastic. Things just keep getting bigger and crazier until Galactus blows up everything, basically, and since it's Keith Giffen, it somehow manages to stay relatable and character-driven even when shit happens like a giant space bug from the Negative Zone called Annihilus building a planet-destroying cannon out of Galactus' half-dead body. 9/10

Unfortunately the book also contains a series of self-contained epilogues about the heralds of Galactus that consist mostly of funky-looking characters without faces or discernible motivations floating through space waxing exposition about the "power cosmic" before... killing someone or blowing something up and then maybe having a little dialogue scene with Galactus or something. Boring, self-serving, and most of them have shitty art to boot. 5/10 because the first one is good, it's just all the others.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

spacehamster wrote:Annihilation Book 3

The conclusion to the Annihilation story is fucking fantastic. Things just keep getting bigger and crazier until Galactus blows up everything, basically, and since it's Keith Giffen, it somehow manages to stay relatable and character-driven even when shit happens like a giant space bug from the Negative Zone called Annihilus building a planet-destroying cannon out of Galactus' half-dead body. 9/10

Unfortunately the book also contains a series of self-contained epilogues about the heralds of Galactus that consist mostly of funky-looking characters without faces or discernible motivations floating through space waxing exposition about the "power cosmic" before... killing someone or blowing something up and then maybe having a little dialogue scene with Galactus or something. Boring, self-serving, and most of them have shitty art to boot. 5/10 because the first one is good, it's just all the others.
I had stayed out of comics for like 12 years, but Annihilation is what brought me back. :tup:

Nova pulling Annihilus's innards through his mouth. :moreawesome:
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

IFryKids wrote:
Nova pulling Annihilus's innards through his mouth. :moreawesome:
That and when Drax throws himself at what looks like about a hundred of those space cockroaches = awesomest splash pages I've seen in a while.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oh yeah, and Drax basically punching Thanos' heart out of his chest, and his only reaction is "...interesting."

The damn thing is just full of moments like that.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

spacehamster wrote:Oh yeah, and Drax basically punching Thanos' heart out of his chest, and his only reaction is "...interesting."

The damn thing is just full of moments like that.
Thanos's reasoning for being involved with Annihilus. :awesome:
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

IFryKids wrote: Thanos's reasoning for being involved with Annihilus. :awesome:
Yeah. Best supervillain motivation ever? Or at least one of the cooler ones...