Uncut version of Nightbreed found

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Uncut version of Nightbreed found

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

Allow us a moment of indulgent horror fanboy geekery. Clive Barker's Nightbreed, his ill-fated follow up to Hellraiser and the horror genre's very own Magnificent Ambersons, has resurfaced as an uncut workprint. Huzzah! The film was drastically interfered with by its studio and has long been the subject of wistful could-have-been fan speculation, but the speculating is almost over. Let's hope we're not terribly disappointed.

An extremely ambitious adaptation by Barker of his own novel Cabal, 1990's Nightbreed was envisioned as a horror Star Wars: a spectacular cavalcade of mad creatures and monster action. Weirdly, it stars David Cronenberg as serial killing psychiatrist Dekker, and Craig Sheffer as his patient Boon, framed for his murders. Shot down by the cops, Boon is resurrected in the secret mythical city of Midian, where the monsters live, and joins them as they defend the gates of the city against the "real monsters" from the normal world.

A massive pantheon of creatures– both make-up effects and puppets– was assembled for the production, but only about a third of them made the studio Morgan Creek's final cut, which barely ran to 90 minutes. Barker had long feared the excised footage lost forever, but his 145-minute rough-cut workprint was finally uncovered last summer, and will debut in late March at Minneapolis' Horror Hound Weekend.

One screening only for the time being, but surely a home release can't be far off now...
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Uncut version of Nightbreed found

Post by zzzzzzzz »

Hell yeah, that's fucking awesome. I remember when this came out when I was a kid they had a massive cardboard cutout of the main monsters at the video store (back when those were fun prosperous businesses) and I got a promo booklet for the movie which had a profile on all the creatures with their special powers and background story. I hope its gory as hell but I'm sure it will be extremely cheesier. With that much footage added back I hope its all at the end of the movie, with more SWAT dudes getting ripped apart by the bezerkers.

I miss the underground catacomb labyrinth full of monsters genre. Little Monsters, Texas Chainsaw 2.. that kind of shit
cold radiance
DO THE DEW!

Post by cold radiance »

Amazing that they could just "lose" the print of a movie that cost millions to make. Also incredible that they cut 50 minutes from Barker's version. WTF? Ouch.

Cronenberg is awesome in that...
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

The book had a few good buttfuckery parts IIRC.
worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

Link?
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Mr. Budd wrote:The book had a few good buttfuckery parts IIRC.
Also some fine examples of Barkers' artwork that I'd like to turn into a tattoo...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
Lord Beguile
JOSH

Post by Lord Beguile »

soiled depends wrote:
Mr. Budd wrote:The book had a few good buttfuckery parts IIRC.
Also some fine examples of Barkers' artwork that I'd like to turn into a tattoo...
You want a tattoo of buttfuckery? Makes sense, though
Bored013 wrote:I've spoke to a few girls after they've been raped...there is of course the pain, the violence, the degradation...but there is also the question. "Why did he leave?"
hana maru wrote:..i've dealt with tiny dicked men pounding on my girl parts for minutes at a time.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

I'd like to see this. :tup: I saw the movie after reading the book and I was disappointed by how much was left out. Now I know why...
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

nice one man.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

I definitely can't wait to see this. One of my favorite movies.

"That's what these are for. I'm an actor, see? There's a face beneath this face."
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

ungodlywarlock wrote: One of my favorite movies.
:theylive:

John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Looking forward to this.