NYC/Bos/DC: your input please.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
altars of radness
Olde Timer

NYC/Bos/DC: your input please.

Post by altars of radness »

I have some time off at the end of March/beginning of April and I'm going to head to New York for a while. I was hoping you'd be kind enough to suggest some shit I need to see while I'm there.

I'd also like to hit up either Boston or DC. Pros/cons of either place would be greatly appreciated. How much is the bus/train to either of those places from NYC?

Merci. :pizza:
Last edited by altars of radness on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
copstache
Total Recluse

Re: Easterners, your input please.

Post by copstache »

there's a chinatown bus from ny to dc that's super cheap. like under $30 cheap.

dc: beer. if you're into fancy beer there's no shortage of places to find it around here. and unlike lots of places on the east coast, (pennsylvania...) you can wander into pretty much any grocery store and find microbrews.

if you feel like being a stupid tourist, we have awesome museums and they're almost all free. you can take hella grim pictures at the exorcist stairs in georgetown. if you're here in spring, it's beautiful around the monuments and tidal basin, great place to walk around. it's been fairly shitty for music lately unless you're into twee pitchfork indie crap. you can catch a movie at the Uptown which i believe has the one of the biggest screens on the east coast. yeah we suck for music but check the papers for artsy fartsy crap, we usually have tons of it. you can go to silver spring md and hit up the afi theater and watch rad old movies on a big screen. it's easy to get around in the city, we have a (usually) good underground metro system
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

for a good time, pm me

wink
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

also we have just about the coolest statue in the world, except that they moved it outside of the city. i think you might be able to get there via metro?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

holy fuck that's :moreawesome:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

copstache wrote: it's been fairly shitty for music lately unless you're into twee pitchfork indie crap. yeah we suck for music
this makes me sad. When I was in high school there were quite a few good bands playing around. do those ft reno shows still happen?
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Cum visit me in NJ... I'm just a short bus ride from NYC, and I'll provide memories you'll never, ever forget... no matter how hard you try. :awesome:
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Masochrism wrote:
copstache wrote: it's been fairly shitty for music lately unless you're into twee pitchfork indie crap. yeah we suck for music
this makes me sad. When I was in high school there were quite a few good bands playing around. do those ft reno shows still happen?
yeah it does. 2009's schedule. a big pile of "who?" and "ehhh"

Monday, June 22nd
Pash, Funk Ark, The Sweater Set

Thursday, June 25th
Electricutions, Meow vs Meow, Noon:30

Monday, June 29th
Cigarbox Planetarium, Small Doses, Batala

Thursday, July 2nd
Caverns, Aerialist, TBA

Monday, July 6th
Go Home Robot, Sea Monsters, Power Pirate

Thursday, July 9th
TBA, Imperial China, FFFever

Monday, July 13th
Poor But Sexy, Laura Zax, Formers

Thursday, July 16th
Godisheus, Girl Loves Distortion, Laughing Man

Monday, July 20th
Meredith Bragg, Hey Arbore, TBA

Thursday, July 23rd
Night of a Thousand Cakes!

Soft Power, Benjy Ferree, TBA

Monday, July 27th
TBA, Stoney Lonesome, Pree

Thursday, July 30th
Last show of the season!
Title Tracks, Casper Bangs, Grendel Babies
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

granted, most of these bands are okay, but after how great local bands were up until about 2004 or so, it's just nothing to get too excited about. where are bands like fugazi or faraquet or q and not u or black eyes or frodus? well okay, frodus is back together and medications are basically faraquet but still. neither of them are on that schedule, you know?
det-riot
Inhale/Exhale

Post by det-riot »

I think DC is a great city to live in, but to visit, I'm not so into.

Other "cool" shit here:
The Capitol visitor's center is $600 million of your tax dollars and I hear it's impressive.
The 9:30 Clun has the best sound of any clun I've ever been to.
I think the food is amazing for the price.
Tons and tons of colleges (packed with single girls). I swear this city is full of really smart, hot, interesting ladies.
Dischord house. I dare you to take a picture on the steps and pose like Ian.
The local under-the-radar places are the best and we have shitty :pizza: :pizza:
TheLonelyRock
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by TheLonelyRock »

DC has a few great local bands......Body Cop, Deathrats, Drugs of Faith, Lotus Fucker (if I do say so myself).....Lots of DIY shows always happening.

Somehow I always forget there are a few other folks from DC on this board, how have I never met any of you people?
aka drinkBlackCoffee
necrothrash
I like to smell things.

Post by necrothrash »

Soft Power....
TheForeman
There Was Blood Everywhere

Post by TheForeman »

Boston.

No other city in the world has as many cute, young, interesting, dumb, smart, punk, plain, stuck up, rich, poor or just plain awesome girls age 18-32. I think the population is something like 60/40 girls/guys. There are over 50 colleges in the Boston area and there's always "underground" music shows and art projects going on. It's an old city with a young vibe.

Boston is a huge beer city. There are over 40 breweries in New England. Boston is home of BeerAdvocate.com and it shows in the peoples interest in craft beer. There's always a beer/food pairing dinner going on somewhere in this town. This weekend was host to the Extreme Beer Fest. Just ask Sam Calagione of Dogfish or Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River about how much they love the beer culture and respect of craft beer in Boston.

If you like museums we have plenty of those. I suggest you checkout the Museum of Natural History at Harvard and get stoned and go to the Museum of Fine Arts or the Museum of Science. Also American history runs deeper in Boston then anywhere else in the country, there are plenty of walking tours, trolley tours or self tours you can take.
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

If you're cool PM me.
Vanessa America
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Vanessa America »

What are your interests?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Pyrite Medal of Ignorance wrote:fuck you, you ginger whore.
http://domestigrind.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/catbombnyc
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

necrothrash wrote:Soft Power....
yeah but like, mary timony always rules.
TheLonelyRock wrote: Somehow I always forget there are a few other folks from DC on this board, how have I never met any of you people?
i actually live in nova/am antisocial
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Vanessa America wrote:What are your interests?
Music and partying for the most part. I want to see some bands, check out some off-the-beaten-path local shit and whatever tourist traps that won't make me look like a complete fucking sap.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. Maybe I'll fly into Boston and just work my way down to DC. When you're a second grade teacher, the world really is your oyster.
altars of radness
Olde Timer

NYC, Boston, DC: your input please.

Bump and new thread title. I'm thinking Boston -- New York -- DC -- New York. Depends on what kind of flights I can find.

Reliable gig guides for these cities would be much appreciated, as would suggestions for anything cool happening between Mar 22 and April 1-3.

Thanks again.
Marcel
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Re: NYC/Bos/DC: your input please.

Post by zzzzzzzz »

All three places suck and should be destroyed, anyone who think otherwise is trying to trick you into losing more money. edit: 900 citizens of a northeast city equal 1 real human being, get ready to run a rat tunnel
Last edited by zzzzzzzz on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

You'll spend over a hundred bucks driving between the three from bridge tolls, bullshit, the land is crap, the people suck, the cities are shit, burn to the ground and fucking die
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

America's Mad Maxlands (not the northeast) enjoys the freedom of not having to pay money to drive every 5 fucking miles and see other citizens as equals worth helping out in a tight spot unlike the fucking shitstain concentration camp hellhole rat traps of the northeast, tricking idiots into thinking its worth the fucking headache to navigate complex hellish rottunnels of woe, misery, braindeath (shrinkage), for fucks sake, I never even kne(eeeeew)w what air pollution looked like til I ventured up there, its fucking disgusting, fuck you pigs.
HeyWard
DO THE DEW!

Post by HeyWard »

Stay out....
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
...Unless you bring Gnarcosis.
Metal Parties for NY Fuckfaces Check It: cluster FUCKED

delmuerte "That's like a 1/10th of one dick, unless you're Scott Ward. In that case, it's like 10 dicks."
rape bear "I forgot to add: Scott Ward's pussy eating skills."
copstache "scott ward: rapist"
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

zzzzzzzz wrote:America's Mad Maxlands (not the northeast) enjoys the freedom of not having to pay money to drive every 5 fucking miles and see other citizens as equals worth helping out in a tight spot unlike the fucking shitstain concentration camp hellhole rat traps of the northeast, tricking idiots into thinking its worth the fucking headache to navigate complex hellish rottunnels of woe, misery, braindeath (shrinkage), for fucks sake, I never even kne(eeeeew)w what air pollution looked like til I ventured up there, its fucking disgusting, fuck you pigs.
what poetry :roll:

you spent all night writing this.

"Now those guys will see how deep and articulate I am. They'll never make fun of me again."
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

copstache wrote:granted, most of these bands are okay, but after how great local bands were up until about 2004 or so, it's just nothing to get too excited about. where are bands like fugazi or faraquet or q and not u or black eyes or frodus? well okay, frodus is back together and medications are basically faraquet but still. neither of them are on that schedule, you know?
I know man. it's just not the same. to be fair, i may just be out of the loop, but i didn't recognize a single one of those bands on the 2009 FR schedule.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Masochrism wrote:
zzzzzzzz wrote:America's Mad Maxlands (not the northeast) enjoys the freedom of not having to pay money to drive every 5 fucking miles and see other citizens as equals worth helping out in a tight spot unlike the fucking shitstain concentration camp hellhole rat traps of the northeast, tricking idiots into thinking its worth the fucking headache to navigate complex hellish rottunnels of woe, misery, braindeath (shrinkage), for fucks sake, I never even kne(eeeeew)w what air pollution looked like til I ventured up there, its fucking disgusting, fuck you pigs.
what poetry :roll:

you spent all night writing this.

"Now those guys will see how deep and articulate I am. They'll never make fun of me again."
What's strange is that he was posting somewhat normally for a while...and then all of a sudden this kind of stuff...