Anyone been to the Opera?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Mr. Budd

Re: Anyone been to the Opera?

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Necrometer wrote:I don't really see a reason to work my ass off to like something that holds no appeal?
That doesn't make any sense at all.
Of course it does... imagine if intellectuals loved Carrie Underwood, but to you it just sounds bad. But then they say "oh, you'd appreciate her work if you read her autobiography". Would you read a book to allow you to enjoy (what sounds to be) shitty pop-country? Of course you wouldn't. That's opera to me.

The CD player in my car is failing and I'm seldom too lazy to bother with the iPod, so most of my driving is to the classical station. On Sundays they play Opera, and whenever they're singing it sounds terrible to me. Will not invest. I appreciate the concern/advice/etc, and I know you guys mean well.
"typical opera" aka Wagner isn't interesting at all IMO - but there's so many variations and forms that it's worth checking out the modern stuff at least.

I REALLY dig shorter works like Delius' Sea Drift.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

OK ok, this is good to know... I'm just going on what I've been exposed to.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

I'm really sorry I finally caved in and read this thread.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

Hell-haine wrote:
Phritz wrote:i really hate mozart.
:theylive: :what:
i live in his birthplace. you get him and his stuff shoved down your throat at every corner. if you live here, you have no choice but to hate him.
everything i've heard from him, sounds too nice, too cheerful, light spirited. i can't stand that. i've seen a few of his operas ("magic flute", "the abduction from the seraglio", maybe more.) and it does nothing for me. i need to give the "requiem" a proper listening though.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

Wagner seen correctly, played expertly, can be an amazing fucking thing. saw a group locally put Tannhäuser on...it was magisterial in the best possible way. when that kind of thing fills the room, you know why you're there, and you know what a lot of stuff means
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Chad wrote:Wagner seen correctly, played expertly, can be an amazing fucking thing. saw a group locally put Tannhäuser on...it was magisterial in the best possible way. when that kind of thing fills the room, you know why you're there, and you know what a lot of stuff means

I'm sure - I remember the Ring Cycle got RAVES here a few years ago.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Necrometer wrote:OK ok, this is good to know... I'm just going on what I've been exposed to.
Download and listen to Berg's "Wozzeck." It's like the Gorguts of opera... ;) It still sounds so fucked up, even now...the story, Berg's life itself, the details behind the composition, the history of the opera as it was handled by audiences...it's great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wozzeck <--

RE: your other point, if I hadn't gone out of my comfort zone and tried to appreciate things that I was at first repelled by I would have missed out on so much. One learns how to appreciate things...one can't just react instinctively all the time, even those instincts are stupid learned behaviors often...
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Mr. Budd wrote:
Chad wrote:Wagner seen correctly, played expertly, can be an amazing fucking thing. saw a group locally put Tannhäuser on...it was magisterial in the best possible way. when that kind of thing fills the room, you know why you're there, and you know what a lot of stuff means

I'm sure - I remember the Ring Cycle got RAVES here a few years ago.
Man, fuck Wagner. :)