Anyone been to the Opera?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Mr. Budd

Anyone been to the Opera?

Post by Mr. Budd »

I got tickets for Berlioz's Faust next week. B-hitter? Flask?
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Re: Anyone been to the Opera?

Post by Phritz »

i just downloaded this, because i've read that Henri-Georges Clouzot died while listening to this.

also, i've been listening to quite a few operas lately (first time in my life. still not really my cup of tea, but i'm starting to warm up to a few of them). especially "the visit" from Gottfried von Einem,. and Shostakovich's "Lady Macbeth". probably some Luigi Nono later.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

follow the story, read the history and longreaching meaning of what you'll be watching, then enjoy the execution of that live...you can find meaning when it actually has import, and on top of that you'll see the art in the specific performances
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

I am well familiar with the piece of music, the related musical pieces (gounoud etc.), the libretto (hail Nerval), the origins, the performers. I'm more concerned about hearing about specific nuances of live opera performance.
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

I would just smoke at the house. maybe drink some weed hot chocolate, then flask it at the show. its not even fun trying to take a stealthy hit with a bat around that kind of crowd. not worth it.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Phritz wrote:i just downloaded this, because i've read that Henri-Georges Clouzot died while listening to this.

also, i've been listening to quite a few operas lately (first time in my life. still not really my cup of tea, but i'm starting to warm up to a few of them). especially "the visit" from Gottfried von Einem,. and Shostakovich's "Lady Macbeth". probably some Luigi Nono later.
Don't skimp on the Austrians - Berg's Wozzek and Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire are interesting to say the least. I figure you probably know those already though.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Masochrism wrote:I would just smoke at the house. maybe drink some weed hot chocolate, then flask it at the show. its not even fun trying to take a stealthy hit with a bat around that kind of crowd. not worth it.

I was kinda kidding about that honestly. I will get mad-baked before leaving the house but I do that before * so...

I don't like to drink and sit for hours so...I think sudafed and ibuprofen will be the key substances here.
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

yeah, i responded seriously though.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Masochrism wrote:yeah, i responded seriously though.

FWIW - I just had an aftermarket sunroof installed in my new pimp-sled specifically so I can ride around smoking dope. I really like to smoke dope.
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

I don't see "420" or "blunted" or "chronic" ANYWHERE in your screen name. :false:
Jesus H Dump
Cranker9

Post by Jesus H Dump »

Mr. Budd wrote:
Masochrism wrote:yeah, i responded seriously though.

FWIW - I just had an aftermarket sunroof installed in my new pimp-sled specifically so I can ride around smoking dope. I really like to smoke dope.
I hope they did a good job and it doesn't end up leaking like most aftermarket sunroofs. Godspeed my friend!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I cannot get into Opera (beyond the overtures) because of my ignorance of it, and I don't really see a reason to work my ass off to like something that holds no appeal?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Masochrism wrote:I don't see "420" or "blunted" or "chronic" ANYWHERE in your screen name. :false:
I thought Mr. Budd sounded neater than Mr. Graphixx. The sunroof doesn't leak at all so far and is warranty protected. It's a great fart eliminator too.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:I cannot get into Opera (beyond the overtures) because of my ignorance of it, and I don't really see a reason to work my ass off to like something that holds no appeal?
For a scientister you sure do say a lot of non-scientister type of stuff.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Is anyone actually more appealing when they act precisely according to stereotype?
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:Is anyone actually more appealing when they act precisely according to stereotype?
What does appeal have to do with entertainment?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

So I'd be more entertaining if I were more sciencey? I am not quite sure what we're talking about here. I admire your willingness to work at enjoying what has always seemed to be an overblown artform whose ideal audience is weepy middle aged women.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:So I'd be more entertaining if I were more sciencey? I am not quite sure what we're talking about here. I admire your willingness to work at enjoying what has always seemed to be an overblown artform whose ideal audience is weepy middle aged women.
That is so fucking far from the target audience of this production. Yes Ross, you probably would be more entertaining if you applied your mastery of scientistry to your aesthetic persuits as well...IMO at least. I'd never willingly sit through Puccini etc... Berlioz is not Puccini.

Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

The more traditional, older stuff is something I can't really get into, it either bores or irritates me. I don't enjoy the Italians, although I do like Mozart's work. By the time one gets to the Second Viennese School I'm much more comfortable/attracted. So, of course, Wozzeck is way up there, Lulu also. I'm not a big fan of Schoenberg's operatic music but I can groove to it. I really only find it enjoyable when I'm putting it up against Stravinsky...which most people do anyway.

RE: going to the opera, yeah...it's great. Never take a woman or someone with a short attention span, though.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Necrometer wrote:I don't really see a reason to work my ass off to like something that holds no appeal?
That doesn't make any sense at all.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
Necrometer wrote:I don't really see a reason to work my ass off to like something that holds no appeal?
That doesn't make any sense at all.
Of course it does... imagine if intellectuals loved Carrie Underwood, but to you it just sounds bad. But then they say "oh, you'd appreciate her work if you read her autobiography". Would you read a book to allow you to enjoy (what sounds to be) shitty pop-country? Of course you wouldn't. That's opera to me.

The CD player in my car is failing and I'm seldom too lazy to bother with the iPod, so most of my driving is to the classical station. On Sundays they play Opera, and whenever they're singing it sounds terrible to me. Will not invest. I appreciate the concern/advice/etc, and I know you guys mean well.
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Carmen de Bizet.
La Boheme de Puccini.

Damn I would LOVE to see Faust live.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

Mr. Budd wrote: Don't skimp on the Austrians - Berg's Wozzek and Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire are interesting to say the least. I figure you probably know those already though.
Einem is austrian... :wink: . i'm pretty sure "the visit" isn't considered a "good" opera, some of the vocal lines sound horrible in my ears, but still i very much enjoy listening to it: some of the music sounds exceptionally great to me and i very much enjoy some parts of the "bad" singing (for example the guy with the extremely nasal voice). plus "the visit" is one of my favourite stories of all time. btw. Dürrenmatt, who himself wrote the libretto for the opera, never spoke another word with the composer after the premiere. haha, i guess he didn't like it that much.

since most of my music listening works in episodes - i'll suddenly discover a genre and will only listen to it until something else piques my interest some time later -. i'm into my second foray into classical music. i haven't heard anything from schönberg or berg that i really enjoyed (iirc i liked "lulu". i need to listen to that lp again). i saw "wozzek" once in an opera house, with school. but idiotic teenage me and some of my classmates left at about halfway to go to a record store.

i can't stand classic opera. it sounds too nice, i can't have that. and i really hate mozart. so, i'm poking around a little in modern opera stuff, like nono, penderecki, bartok ("bluebeard's castle wasn't that impressive btw.). ...
rīdoonrīmenbā
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Phritz wrote:i really hate mozart.
:theylive: :what:
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.