DO YOU READ?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: DO YOU READ?

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I'm a total escapist. Sometimes to a fault.
No Cunting Elves
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Bored, Esq. wrote:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... umphed.ars

"I can feel it most strongly when I'm reading. Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That's rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I'm always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle."

Etc.
One more thing that might contribute to this in me:
[b]How to Read a Scientific Article[/b] wrote:Reading a scientific article is a complex task. The worst way to approach this task is to treat it like the reading of a textbook—reading from title to literature cited, digesting every word along the way without any reflection or criticism. Rather, you should begin by skimming the article to identify its structure and features. As you read, look for the author’s main points. Generate questions before, during, and after reading. ...
http://cnx.org/content/m15912/latest/

Some of those "how to" things for science lit even pretend you should read every word of the methods section (provides detailed information with the intent of allowing one to copy the research), which is a near-complete waste in the majority of cases.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Attn: Necrometer

Post by MANTIS »

Whiffleball Ace wrote:
TheDOAD wrote:Not related to you but one of the weirdest moments in my life was a few years back with a guy I went to college with who I admired for his intelligence and work ethic and just overall persona. He told me he that unless it was a technical how to book or something he had Not read a single piece or fiction or non study related Non fiction since high school. He was 30. Blew my mind.
Yeah, I have a friend like this. He's a geologist. It's just a whole different set of wiring, I think.
I have a friend like this who is a programmer. I'm sensing a pattern.

It should be said too, that some people just don't take in information well in this way. I have a pal who loves audiobooks but has trouble translating the words into images and such when he is actually doing the reading. He's an intelligent guy, just has trouble focusing on reading a book.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Attn: Necrometer

Post by MANTIS »

doppelpost
Morpheus
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by Morpheus »

I hated reading up until I was 25, I could barely read at that point and hadn't owned a single book (though I did read a couple of J.D. Salinger books while in prison aged 19 and found them rather dull). I started reading properly aged 25 after being given a copy of "Sophies World" and Bertrand Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy". Since then I've read over 800 novels, plays and books of poetry. I've read everything of significance by Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, Kafka, Hesse, Nietzsche, Camus, Rousseau, Hume and Voltaire. I've read the upanishads. I've read 90% of Plato, and about 70% of Aristotle and a whole pile of lesser known greek philosophers. On top of that, I've accrued a further 600 books on philosophy, psychology, sociology, science, feminist theory and literary criticism.

I think I made up for lost time.
amos galore
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by amos galore »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:
bloodybloodlicker wrote:You know who reads?

Glenn Danzig.

Everything about this video rules. I laughed after almost every line. I think I could listen to Glenn Danzig say "Welcome to my book collection" over and over again for hours.
:tup: he is the wolf

and I read, though not as much as I used to or would like to now because of the fucking internet.....can't pry myself away. If I wasn't constantly moving, looking for places to live, cars, jobs, and things to do I may have more time to read. Fuck. I am currently reading 4 books and haven't gotten past 100 pages in each.
bundlesofvitals
OH LAWD!

Post by bundlesofvitals »

Wow, that video...his comments...his giggles... :tup: :tup:
Hotchka!
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Hotchka! »

in the last few years ive only read comic books

five years ago was the last time i read a novel and that was Candy by Terry Southern which i believe was the last novel to be banned in the country

right before that was the last nonfiction book i read which was By Blood Betrayed: My Life With Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh by Lana Padilla

i read the newspaper on saturdays
Frickin' Slayer
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Frickin' Slayer »

n e one hav suggestions on where to read books besides n bed? and y do u think reading n bed may not be a good idea? bc seriously, wenever i read there i like end up falling asleep. and my apt doesnt hav n e like desks or like places i culd read like sitting up,not to mention its not all that well lit n most of the rooms.
http://myspace.com/scarydeathmetal
riley-o wrote:i'm also a scorpio, not an aries.
Frickin' Slayer
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Frickin' Slayer »

underrottingsky wrote:I'll have plenty of time to read when I fuck up one day and land in prison...just might hit them weights to.
"Ain no stupid peep-oh innuh prison"

http://myspace.com/scarydeathmetal
riley-o wrote:i'm also a scorpio, not an aries.