Computer certs... who has'em?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Computer certs... who has'em?

Post by valgalder »

we have a new big client that heavily uses SAP, and I know next to nothing about it. I figure if I can become certified in this, i could easily move up the ranks because our company has almost nobody that knows about it either. Anybody have any experience, if it's worth getting, or how hard are the exams? Just doing some research now...

What other certs do you have? Don't care about A+ or Network+ bullshit.. that's a waste of time. Anybody have any Microsoft certs? MSCS, Cisco?
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Re: Computer certs... who has'em?

Post by soiled depends »

I only have computer tick tacs...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

I'm CompTIA Security+ Certified. All that does for me is make me extremely paranoid about the Internet...that, and an excuse to learn how to hack things.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

spanish captions for the hearing retarded??
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

jakebonz wrote:I'm CompTIA Security+ Certified. All that does for me is make me extremely paranoid about the Internet...that, and an excuse to learn how to hack things.
Do you get to do any penetration testing where you work?
ImageImageImage
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

soiled depends wrote:I only have computer tick tacs...
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

Got a couple. I'm certified in sexy and astral projection.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

Does anyone have any place to recommend using to get computer certs? What are some of the better ones to get? I feel I should better myself.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:What are some of the better ones to get?
The ones your company pays for
ImageImageImage
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

milkmandan wrote:
jakebonz wrote:I'm CompTIA Security+ Certified. All that does for me is make me extremely paranoid about the Internet...that, and an excuse to learn how to hack things.
Do you get to do any penetration testing where you work?
I've unfortunately never had to do any sort of network security stuff outside of my own home network. I have also tried to lobby for stronger website security with regards to user profiles and logins, but the people I've had the "pleasure" of working with don't really grasp the concept of strong passwords that require changing on a regular basis. I do my best to prevent SQL injection attacks, but it's hard to secure someone when they demand the ability to make their password "password". :|

But for fun, I've been known to use my PSP to break into unsecured wireless networks and change all of the settings just to be a dick, but nothing bad enough that a router reset can't fix. The PSP is a vastly underestimated hacking tool IMHO.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i got a number of them back before i changed fields (IT is awful), they didn't really do much for me but i didn't pay for them either. so, take all the free (sponsored) ones you can get but don't spend your own money on it.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

milkmandan wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:What are some of the better ones to get?
The ones your company pays for
My company will pay for any and all that I want... obviously I just have to spend the time and study up..

There is a network drive at work that has a plethora of pc cert / training, practice tests, etc. I know there's a bunch of CBT Nuggets, Testouts, etc. i'll have to look through them. Don't think I saw anybody on SAP though.. will have to torrent some of them and take a look at them.
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

For the most part from what I have seen, certs don't mean much to most people when you are looking for a job or looking to move up in the company. Mostly what people care about is that you have the knowledge, or can demonstrate the ability to learn. I have some certs, but they have never factored in my ability to get a job or move up. My work will pay for some certs which I might start taking advantage of.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

cibola wrote:For the most part from what I have seen, certs don't mean much to most people when you are looking for a job or looking to move up in the company. Mostly what people care about is that you have the knowledge, or can demonstrate the ability to learn. I have some certs, but they have never factored in my ability to get a job or move up. My work will pay for some certs which I might start taking advantage of.
Sure, it definitely depends. My company will pay you more just for having the certs, and plus it makes it easier to move around a bit more.. I've seen some companies that also don't care, as long as you said, have the knowledge.
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

valgalder wrote:
cibola wrote:For the most part from what I have seen, certs don't mean much to most people when you are looking for a job or looking to move up in the company. Mostly what people care about is that you have the knowledge, or can demonstrate the ability to learn. I have some certs, but they have never factored in my ability to get a job or move up. My work will pay for some certs which I might start taking advantage of.
Sure, it definitely depends. My company will pay you more just for having the certs, and plus it makes it easier to move around a bit more.. I've seen some companies that also don't care, as long as you said, have the knowledge.
If they will pay you more just for having them, then sounds like a solid idea.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

I've only heard that places that require you to have certs are places you probably wouldn't want certs. I got A+ Certification when I was 16. It qualifies me to work at Best Buy in the back shop maybe.

There's not many I'd ever consider, mostly ITIL, CISSP, VMWare Certified Professional, Sun Certified Java Programmer, Six Sigma, and that's about it.

Only time I was considering getting certs for promotions / pay at a job was because of customer perception or something. Even then, my employer was such a fucking cheapass they refused to pay for the cert, yet they were asking me to get it to help make the product look more legit (it was legit, again perception). Fuckers. Got a new job and got a 50% raise plus tons of bonuses, so you don't need certs to get far, but if you think of it as a substitute for a degree when you've already demonstrated you're not retarded, you're on the right track.

SAP and Siebel were worth getting certs in maybe 3 years ago. I'd recommend virtualization related certs mostly these days because I expect that to be the only growth area of IT for a while.
jakebonz wrote:I do my best to prevent SQL injection attacks, but it's hard to secure someone when they demand the ability to make their password "password"
Password salting makes it far, far, far harder to break passwords in case of a break-in on the backend. Also, two-factor authentication (see: Blizzard authenticators) will make sure even the most retarded passwords don't get broken. Of course, 2-factor isn't exactly cheap to do at a policy nor implementation level, so it's not exactly going to be a go-to or turn-key solution.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

ugggh ITIL
ImageImageImage
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

I almost have my CCNA (This is my second time through the program at my college) and A+ (My knowledge is way past the basic hardware/OS the test requires, I just haven't taken it) which comcast said I'd get the job if I had them, but of course, they didn't like me so their excuse to not hiring me was not having enough sales experience. (BULLSHIT) The guy that did the first part of my interview focusing on the hardware aspect of the job even told me I passed with flying colors.

I'll agree that a lot of certs don't matter when moving up in a company, unless that company is Cisco.
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

milkmandan wrote:ugggh ITIL
Have you SEEN what you can charge to be an ITIL consultant? I'll gladly take $200 / hr for a boring test with lots of memorization and little thinking required, thank you very much. Combine that with Six Sigma black belt certification and you'll never have to do any actual work but get paid like a lower tier exec for life. Holy shit it'd be boring, but that's the point of the paychecks - to make up for how boring your job is with fancy toys and lavish luxuries.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Gookstorm wrote:
milkmandan wrote:ugggh ITIL
Have you SEEN what you can charge to be an ITIL consultant? I'll gladly take $200 / hr for a boring test with lots of memorization and little thinking required, thank you very much. Combine that with Six Sigma black belt certification and you'll never have to do any actual work but get paid like a lower tier exec for life. Holy shit it'd be boring, but that's the point of the paychecks - to make up for how boring your job is with fancy toys and lavish luxuries.
Yes, but I've also SEEN how much my company pays for PeopleSoft consulants, Oracle consulants, performance tuning consultants, etc. $200 an hour can be had in many MUCH more interesting areas of IT, IMO.

Last year our dept had some leftover credits available w/ a training company, and so my director nominated me to join a few others in a week long ITIL bootcamp. It had absolutely nothing to do with my area of expertise, and was the most boring thing I have EVER sat through.
ImageImageImage
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Most people I interviewed at my last job with certs had exactly fuck-all knowledge about anything practical whatsoever. Just throwing that out there.
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

delmuerte wrote:Most people I interviewed at my last job with certs had exactly fuck-all knowledge about anything practical whatsoever. Just throwing that out there.
What do you do for a living?
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

delmuerte wrote:Most people I interviewed at my last job with certs had exactly fuck-all knowledge about anything practical whatsoever. Just throwing that out there.
I come across that quite a bit. They seem to have an MCITP, but can't tell you how to promote a domain controller.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Junior sysadmin, more or less. I work in the NOC at Dreamhost.com.
Charles Schulzerie wrote:
What do you do for a living?
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

ITIL cert and a couple of non descript things.

SAP is good for Australia as we have heaps of government departments with SAP that has been the bread and butter for many friends.

I suggest getting into project management roles if you have IT skills. PM's make more moeny than any of the code monkey's around here.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath