anyone else have pixelation problems on dvd's?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: anyone else have pixelation problems on dvd's?

Post by Necrometer »

this is a common problem

keep messing with the settings until you get your DVD properly tuned for 1080p and 240 Hz

good luck!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Maybe a DVD player that can upscale can help a little bit but the truth is most of the times CRT is better for SD material.

Can you see this pixelation from the viewing distance (bad) or only when you come close to the TV (kinda OK)?
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Then make sure the output is configured as 720p and check for any configuration related to upscaling.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

underrottingsky wrote:I've had a friend suggest hanging it on a wall for a better picture.
your friend is a newb; you will not get a decent picture until you mount it on the ceiling, the higher the better
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

Necrometer wrote:
underrottingsky wrote:I've had a friend suggest hanging it on a wall for a better picture.
your friend is a newb; you will not get a decent picture until you mount it on the ceiling, the higher the better

and hang it upside down.

in the garage.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i still have an old school tv and dvds look pretty good on it.

im not in any hurry to upgrade.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

VICTORY VHS
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

they are making a comeback.

vhs resurgence.
Glass Asshole
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Glass Asshole »

BUNGVOX wrote:i still have an old school tv and dvds look pretty good on it.

im not in any hurry to upgrade.

Same here. I'm not getting rid of it until it dies. It's a sony trinitron 36" and the bastard must weigh 200 lbs. :tdown:

Are these dvds you've purchased or copied? I've had that problem on ones that I've made because of choosing the wrong setting.
"God used me as hammer boys, to beat his weary drum today"

In Gorguts we trust.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Pixelization on dvds is called "block noise". Your player may have a block noise reduction setting on it. It's because dvds use mpeg 4 compression, which is why you notice it a lot in darker scenes. It's got nothing to do with your tv. If anything, it's because the tv is very clear that you notice it, which is a good thing.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

dvds are mpeg2 nub

neckbeard'd
Last edited by neckbeard on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kale
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

and that was news by neckbeard
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Whoooooooops. Mpeg 2, it is.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Jerrod wrote:Pixelization on dvds is called "block noise". Your player may have a block noise reduction setting on it. It's because dvds use mpeg 4 compression, which is why you notice it a lot in darker scenes. It's got nothing to do with your tv. If anything, it's because the tv is very clear that you notice it, which is a good thing.
LOL
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Krieg wrote:
Jerrod wrote:Pixelization on dvds is called "block noise". Your player may have a block noise reduction setting on it. It's because dvds use mpeg 4 compression, which is why you notice it a lot in darker scenes. It's got nothing to do with your tv. If anything, it's because the tv is very clear that you notice it, which is a good thing.
LOL
I thought that was the closest thing to a decent explanation in this thread Image
hard paranormal dong
RIP_GHOST BONER_RIP

Post by hard paranormal dong »

ok now can anyone tell me why my fucking dvd player is STUCK IN ZOOM MODE AND CANT FUCKING GET OUT! also it doesnt have the thing that hides the tray when closed and i have to pry it open with a knife sometimes.
BUNGVOX wrote:anyone who can throw that many maiden titles into a short statement is entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Necrometer wrote:
Krieg wrote:
LOL
I thought that was the closest thing to a decent explanation in this thread Image
It's actually a very good explanation. Minus the mpeg2/4 mixup.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

DVDs are 480p and you are using a 720p or 1080p display without any clever upscaling, then you are stuck with the dumb upscaling from the TV itself that would only duplicate information (pixels). The bigger the TV the obvious the pixelation.

Of course it has to do with the TV. And that's forgetting that DVDs are not mpeg4.

BNR has more impact in mpeg1 and has little impact on mpeg2, but it might help with dvds with shitty mastering.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Krieg wrote:DVDs are 480p and you are using a 720p or 1080p display without any clever upscaling, then you are stuck with the dumb upscaling from the TV itself that would only duplicate information (pixels). The bigger the TV the obvious the pixelation.

Of course it has to do with the TV. And that's forgetting that DVDs are not mpeg4.

BNR has more impact in mpeg1 and has little impact on mpeg2, but it might help with dvds with shitty mastering.
Actually, the original post has nothing to do with what you're talking about. The problem described is clearly block noise, and that same block noise will be there no matter what tv you watch it on. Until about a year and a half ago, I had a Sony Trinitron CRT, and I had the same problem. Still do, in fact. My DVD player is old. It's alright to admit you're wrong once in a while, pal.
HeyWard
DO THE DEW!

Post by HeyWard »

neckbeard wrote:neckbeard'd
That doesn't sound very appealing at all...
Metal Parties for NY Fuckfaces Check It: cluster FUCKED

delmuerte "That's like a 1/10th of one dick, unless you're Scott Ward. In that case, it's like 10 dicks."
rape bear "I forgot to add: Scott Ward's pussy eating skills."
copstache "scott ward: rapist"
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Jerrod wrote:Actually, the original post has nothing to do with what you're talking about. The problem described is clearly block noise, and that same block noise will be there no matter what tv you watch it on.
let double check with the OP again.
underrottingsky wrote: I've never even noticed this till I got an lcd tv.
Get it together.
kale
hard paranormal dong
RIP_GHOST BONER_RIP

Post by hard paranormal dong »

fuck you guys are nerds
BUNGVOX wrote:anyone who can throw that many maiden titles into a short statement is entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

I wound up getting a new flat panel partly because you can't even buy a non-flat panel TV really anymore and even downloaded DVD rips that are overcompressed look surprisingly decent (XBMC upscaling helps a lot of course). Sometimes the DVD produced was kind of overcompressed leading to block noise / pixellation problems that can't be fixed with almost any fancy algorithm known to man because it's similar to being given a low-quality mp3 and being told to produce the original CD audio sound.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

ffmpegftw
kale
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Jerrod wrote:
Krieg wrote:DVDs are 480p and you are using a 720p or 1080p display without any clever upscaling, then you are stuck with the dumb upscaling from the TV itself that would only duplicate information (pixels). The bigger the TV the obvious the pixelation.

Actually, the original post has nothing to do with what you're talking about. The problem described is clearly block noise, and that same block noise will be there no matter what tv you watch it on. Until about a year and a half ago, I had a Sony Trinitron CRT, and I had the same problem. Still do, in fact. My DVD player is old. It's alright to admit you're wrong once in a while, pal.

Let's see:

- Was there any problem with the old good CRT TV? No

- Did the problem show up with the new shinning TV? Yes

- Any other variables? No

I would say the TV introduced the problem. But you are making me doubt.