LPs with Audio CDs / MP3 links appreciation

Music posts are a bannable offense.
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

LPs with Audio CDs / MP3 links appreciation

Post by pooptastik »

seriously! thank you for doing this. More bands should do this.

besides Buckshot Facelift, Torche, ASRA and Nile who else does this?
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Re: LPs with Audio CDs / MP3 links appreciation

Post by Dann O))) »

Opeth "Watershed" does.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Do any/all of the MP3s have DRM?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

sorry, what's DRM?
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

DRM = digital rights management = bullshit that decides where/when/how you can listen to the MP3s
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
_-_-_-_-
Streetcleaner

Post by _-_-_-_- »

I think all lps on Dischord do this now.
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

Also nice....

I bought the new Sacrifice CD in December from their Canadian label and they included a instant download at purchase time.
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

Necrometer wrote:DRM = digital rights management = bullshit that decides where/when/how you can listen to the MP3s
Buckshot Facelift's release contained a sheet linking to dl the album but i dont think they have any DRM since its a DIY release. i think they just want their name to spread. they even have their 2005 Demo up for download on their site.
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick

Post by CHUFFED beyond necropsy »

Looks like Relapse has started doing this, the Buzzov*en LP i bought has a download card. Touch and Go does, too. No DRM as far as i can tell, i can't really see indie labels doing that kind of thing. ALthough you never know, i guess.
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

Deathwish has this too. I always thought this was a great idea.
http://failed.bandcamp.com
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:i would so slap on a strap on and rape his ass.
Obesese Witherspoon
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Obesese Witherspoon »

Relapse does do it on all the new releases, no on the reissues like Mastodon and upcoming High on fire ones.
I fought for 2 years to get them to do it. It was like banging my head against the wall. No DRM from us.
Hell-haine wrote:she should stuff it in her vagina like any responsible female .
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

starting from what album?
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

yeah but i also like the fact that i can go anywhere and listen to the music. cuz you know...there's no mobile lp turn tables.
Obesese Witherspoon
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Obesese Witherspoon »

pooptastik wrote:starting from what album?
Do you mean when did we start with the Download cards? I believe it was the last Don Cab record back in August of 2008, and pretty much all since then. There may be some exceptions.
Hell-haine wrote:she should stuff it in her vagina like any responsible female .
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

noah thirteen wrote:I don't see the point....
Maybe I want to hear that old Gojira 7" on the Subway on the way to work one day....you should reissue that with a download code!!!
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

my dad and i used to make tape copies of LPs we'd buy so that we could listen to the record in the car. this is a shorthand version of the same thing. love it.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

Obesese Witherspoon wrote:
pooptastik wrote:starting from what album?
Do you mean when did we start with the Download cards? I believe it was the last Don Cab record back in August of 2008, and pretty much all since then. There may be some exceptions.
ah nice! didn't know!
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

Post by Barcass Grinder »

[quote="noah thirteen"]I don't see the point.... aren't people buying LPs in greater numbers these days because they're tired of the overcompressed and tinny sound of CDs and MP3s? Doesn't vinyl "sound better"?[quote]

I know a lot of xasthur fans who ONLY buy music on vinyl, then NEVER listen to their records and just download the mp3s online. This way they can own the album, keep it in mint condition (for re-sale later, if needed) and still be able to listen to it. These donwload cards are just catering to these fucks and fueling future eBay markup.

People are buying more vinyl these days because CDs have zero resale vaule, while vinyl usually goes up.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

So this is for...really lazy hipsters? Yay.
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

As someone who pretty much buys only vinyl (and listens to it all, thankyouverymuch, Barcass Grinder) it's nice to be given the album in digital format as well. It now puts my lp up there with your cd in terms of portable listening, which is pretty much the only advantage I see cds having. And if I download, put it on my iPod and burn it to cd, I've been given the album in three formats for the price of one. Why would anyone complain about that? I love it and I hope it becomes a standard.

Also, it's nice to see the record industry kind of throw up its hands and say "You know what? You people download these things anyway, so just take the mp3s. You actually bought something, so have something free in return."
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

noah thirteen wrote:I don't see the point.... aren't people buying LPs in greater numbers these days because they're tired of the overcompressed and tinny sound of CDs and MP3s? Doesn't vinyl "sound better"? When you put music on an mp3 you cut out all those great frequencies I like so much!!! That's why I spent 22 dollars on this LP!!!! MP3s are the devil!!!
I like to be able to listen to my records when I'm not at home and it's much easier to do when they give you mp3s, rather than me taking the time to rip my vinyl, which I'm capable of and have done many times, but it's a gigantic pain in the ass and takes a long time.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

12 Months of Mao wrote:As someone who pretty much buys only vinyl (and listens to it all, thankyouverymuch, Barcass Grinder) it's nice to be given the album in digital format as well. It now puts my lp up there with your cd in terms of portable listening, which is pretty much the only advantage I see cds having. And if I download, put it on my iPod and burn it to cd, I've been given the album in three formats for the price of one. Why would anyone complain about that? I love it and I hope it becomes a standard.

Also, it's nice to see the record industry kind of throw up its hands and say "You know what? You people download these things anyway, so just take the mp3s. You actually bought something, so have something free in return."
Exactly. And what are they losing by putting up a download code for someone who already purchased the album? Nothing.
tipton
Soul of the Martyr

Post by tipton »

12 Months of Mao wrote:As someone who pretty much buys only vinyl (and listens to it all, thankyouverymuch, Barcass Grinder) it's nice to be given the album in digital format as well. It now puts my lp up there with your cd in terms of portable listening, which is pretty much the only advantage I see cds having. And if I download, put it on my iPod and burn it to cd, I've been given the album in three formats for the price of one. Why would anyone complain about that? I love it and I hope it becomes a standard.

i say, if you buy vinyl of one of our releases which we are trying to start to do you can go ahead and download it for free (everyone else does anyways) its fine with me. but its not worth paying extra money for download cards and adding expense to the vinyl manufacturing cost. hell, in this instance anyways i say take advantage of the piraters free hosting.
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

tipton wrote:i say, if you buy vinyl of one of our releases which we are trying to start to do you can go ahead and download it for free (everyone else does anyways) its fine with me. but its not worth paying extra money for download cards and adding expense to the vinyl manufacturing cost. hell, in this instance anyways i say take advantage of the piraters free hosting.
Well, it definitely is something I expect/hope to see more from majors and larger independents like Relapse, Touch & Go, Alternative Tentacles, etc. And, to be fair, most of the albums that I've purchased with download cards I've already had on my computer. It's just nice that if I don't have it yet I don't have to go looking for it or rip the vinyl.

Any chance of seeing older Willowtip stuff on vinyl? Goatsblood, Commit Suicide, Kalibas and Rune pleeeeeeeaaaasse.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

tipton wrote:

i say, if you buy vinyl of one of our releases which we are trying to start to do you can go ahead and download it for free (everyone else does anyways) its fine with me. but its not worth paying extra money for download cards and adding expense to the vinyl manufacturing cost. hell, in this instance anyways i say take advantage of the piraters free hosting.
I bought a record recently (can't remember what it was) and the d/l card was just simply a piece of paper with the link to the download printed on it. Sure bigger labels can afford to do the fancy d/l cards and all that, but even the simplest form is a great step.