Self-taught drummers, what was your method of learning?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Pyrite Medal of Ignorance

Re: Self-taught drummers, what was your method of learning?

Post by Pyrite Medal of Ignorance »

i doubt they're for sale. soon enough ryan will be down here sludging it up with me anyway, and that will be PRICELESS. :awesome:
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

i've jammed with his hairy ass before, he's not too shabby i tell you.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute

stop talking about ryan's butt and the exchange of saliva, it makes me uncomfortable. thanks.

edit: HOUSE IS EMPTY! time to turn off the cat stevens and cause a ruckus. JAM!
Last edited by Pyrite Medal of Ignorance on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

i will not, thank you.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute

fine, then i'm letting this side of the record finish while i polish my knob...on my stereo. it's really dirty.
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

hipster holocaust wrote:dude he's got rocky's old drum set. if he doesnt utilize that, he's kind of a homo
I only have a rack tom and that giant kick.
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

i know. that's what air snare is for.
ratanda
How's them beans, ma?

Post by ratanda »

I don't remember exactly what I did but you have to keep it simple. I do remember being quite pleased that I could correctly play 2 consecutive measures correctly but then would mess up again.

Just start off counting to 1-4 on the hi hat. Add the kick drum on the 1, and the snare on 3.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

ratanda wrote:I don't remember exactly what I did but you have to keep it simple. I do remember being quite pleased that I could correctly play 2 consecutive measures correctly but then would mess up again.

Just start off counting to 1-4 on the hi hat. Add the kick drum on the 1, and the snare on 3.
or make it even easier and only hit the hi hat on the '1' and '3' counts. voila, you're lars ulrich.

hahah. i spent a little over an hour with that video lon posted, it was actually really helpful after i was able to stop rolling my eyes. I don't know if I buy andrew's theory about awkward thinking/drumming though. I mean, it sounded horrible but already better than it did yesterday...and I was definitely not all there today. Spent a good chunk of time with my bass, too...went to bed at noon and got up at 6. i really, really want to go mess with the drums again but my roommates would probably try to kill me in my sleep later if i did that...

GAHHHHH. so stoked. i hope it's a long time before i hit a slump and get discouraged again.

if anyone has any other videos to recommend (yeah, i know how to google -- i'm just hoping to weed out the crap) i'd be very appreciative.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

hipster holocaust wrote:voila, you're lars ulrich.
One of the most embarrassing things in the world is watching Lars trying to blast.
Spectre Vs. Rector
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Spectre Vs. Rector »

i used to play along to my rekids & tapes by having a rudimentary setup in the room: a hardback book for a snare, couple of paperbacks for toms, maybe some taped-up hangers for cymbals..? and as someone mentioned, start off slow and gradually get the blastin...
ImageImage

Spectre Vs. Rector wrote:a hardback book for a snare, couple of paperbacks for toms, maybe some taped-up hangers for cymbals..?

hahaha, good idea.

I downloaded Stick Control (can't remember if I posted that already, eh) so I guess I'll work with that tonight. :cheers:
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Unholy Massacre wrote:I believe Dave Witte's advice was always "learn to play along with AC/DC."
I will fight anyone who doesn't realize/recognize that "Back in Black" is a perfectly written album.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Bored, Esq. wrote:
Unholy Massacre wrote:I believe Dave Witte's advice was always "learn to play along with AC/DC."
I will fight anyone who doesn't realize/recognize that "Back in Black" is a perfectly written album.
lace those gloves up, muh man
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

hipster holocaust wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
I can't fight you...you're like a woman...
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Bored, Esq. wrote:
hipster holocaust wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
I can't fight you...you're like a woman...
fine. i win. bitch.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

hipster holocaust wrote: fine. i win. bitch.
Ha!

NP: AC/DC - Back in Black

Hell's Bells, Satan's comin' to you
Hell's Bells, he's ringing them now
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
fact.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Bored, Esq. wrote:
Ha!

that song fucking rules. besides that i'm not able to hear anything over the rumble of bon scott spinning in his grave.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

hipster holocaust wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Ha!

that song fucking rules. besides that i'm not able to hear anything over the rumble of bon scott spinning in his grave.
Good hipster reference...but it's meaningless. This album is fucking PERFECT. I worship it going back decades...it's also the only AC/DC I can take seriously outside of a few stray songs...

I haven't studied much AC/DC lore but they really hit it on this one. It will always be a classic.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

eh

christ john, shut the fuck up...
TheDrunkTankJudge
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by TheDrunkTankJudge »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
hipster holocaust wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Ha!

Good hipster reference...but it's meaningless. This album is fucking PERFECT. I worship it going back decades...it's also the only AC/DC I can take seriously outside of a few stray songs...

I haven't studied much AC/DC lore but they really hit it on this one. It will always be a classic.
True, at the time Brian Johnsons voice wasn't as annoying as it would come to be. I still wish that Bon Scott could have sang on it instead. Maybe Bon's death was what made them push that much harder to write the album the way it was written. Ya know trying to prove they could continue on...
R.I.P. Trebuchet

:what:

too much fun, guys. i'm having it. still sounds bad, but during those brief moments where i can hear a smidgen of progress i just about shart myself with glee. if i could remember what it was like to learn to read and write, it might be eerily similar.

awwww