Madlib thread is ____ for _____

Music posts are a bannable offense.
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Madlib thread is ____ for _____

Post by caldwell.the.great »

Just picked up a couple of Madlib-related records today:

1) The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble, "Miles Away"

sounds like a slightly spaced out lounge jazz record with bigger bass lines and a lot of emphasis on atmosphere. lounge-like may be a little misleading as nothing about it sounds wonky or cheap. totally not what i was expecting, but enjoying it a ton. reminds me of the Brazilian "jazz" records he did awhile back as Jackson Conti, but less smooth and more psychedelic.

2) Madlib Medicine Show, No. 1: Before the Verdict with Guilty Simpson

labelled a hip-hop record. have only listened to portions of it, but sounds more like what i was expecting from Madlib. '

My only real exposure to him prior to these two records have been mp3s on mix-tapes and the Madvilliany record. i've read up on him a little, but he's so all over the place that i can't keep up: Jaylib, Beat Konducta, Yesterday's New Quintet, Quasimoto (heard a little of this), tons of remixes and mix tapes, and production credits out the ass.

Anyone want to suggest a good place to go with him? He makes Bob Dylan look lazy and soon he'll be giving Jandek a run for his money.

Feel free to talk about related artists, too, because I seem to like a lot of the guys Madlib works with: MF Doom, J Dilla, etc.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: Madlib thread is ____ for _____

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Start at the beginning if you haven't heard those yet. Lootpack - Soundpieces or my personal favorite Quasimoto - The Unseen (totally bugged out shit)
No Cunting Elves
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Another vote for The Unseen and Lootpack.

Madlib puts out wayyyy to much stuff for me to keep up with. Early Yesterdays New Quintet is great. It just seems like every time I get around to listening to a new Madlib album, he's got 4 projects or mixtapes prior to that which I didn't know existed. I just have accepted that I'll stumble upon stuff at one point or another, because otherwise I'd get burnt out pretty quick.

If you like J Dilla, then get Donuts, which is instrumental. Jay Stay Paid is great too, mixed by Pete Rock.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Also check out Madlib's brother Oh No. He's put out some good stuff too like "Exodus Into Unheard Rhythms" and "Dr. No's Oxperiment." He has another one out, "'Dr. No's Ethiopium,' inspired-by and sampled-from rare 60s and 70s Ethiopian funk, jazz, folk, soul and psychedelic rock."

One of my favorite Madlib beats, from "Champion Sound"
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

will definitely check those out.

the Madlib Medicine Show stuff is pretty cool, but feels a little haphazard. There's a lot of remix stuff from Guilty Simpson, which isn't bad, but I feel like it breaks up the album in unnatural ways. Plus there are a lot of strange edits and cuts that sound half-assed. Not sure if that's the remix's fault or if it has something to do with Madlib or maybe its just the sequencing.... Once I get it settled in my mind that it's a collection, I think I'll be able to enjoy it more. I want to pick up one of his mixes just see how it compares.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com