DAW recommendations?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
heresy is progress
My Penis is Broken?

DAW recommendations?

Post by heresy is progress »

getting specs together to build a decent DAW pc. looking for good recommendations for software, audio interfaces, midi controllers, etc. what do you use?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: DAW recommendations?

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I am posting in this thread so that I may peruse it at my leisure.

AKA ifl
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Get a MAC.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
heresy is progress
My Penis is Broken?

Krieg wrote:Get a MAC.
:drool:
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Here's my setup:

Macbook pro w/ Ableton Live 8 Suite + Max for Live
Presonus Firestudio mobile Firewire audio interface
Line 6 POD X3 for Guitars
KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors
Akai APC40 Midi grid controller
Native Instruments Maschine for programming drums/sampling/step sequencing/etc
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller for controlling live w/ my feet while recording guitars
Various VST/AU's

If you are looking for a good soft-synth to use, and are interested in learning the ways of modular synthesis, I HIGHLY reccommend dropping cheddar on U-HE ACE http://www.acesynth.com/
ImageImageImage
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

what do you want to accomplish? what is your price range?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Hardware

Pod X3 for guitars
M-Audio Fast track (i think) interface for recording other live sound
Korg PadKontrol for recording live drums
M-Audio Axiom 49 keyboard for... keyboards
Korg NanoKEY keyboard for when i don't feel like whipping out that huge axiom
M-Audio studio monitors- cheap but decent enough for recording because i mix on headphones

Software:

Ableton Live
Renoise- i use this for pretty much everything these days except recording audio and final mixes. I just used it over the weekend doing some freelance work and it was a lifesaver
Apple Logic- i have this but don't use it very often
Reason 4- i like it but i use it less and less these days. in its place i've been using...
NI Komplete- $500 is a steal for how much shit you get in this

all this is funny because mostly i just dick around with all this stuff and maybe do freelance work once or twice a year
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Brain Bates "The Way of The wyrd" was the best book ever released on DAW.
heresy is progress
My Penis is Broken?

Geeheeb wrote:what do you want to accomplish? what is your price range?

I want to be able to record basic demos - track vocals, guitars, and drums & be able to play VST instruments. looking to spend $600-700 on hardware; have no idea about software yet.
heresy is progress
My Penis is Broken?

copstache wrote:Hardware

Pod X3 for guitars
why would you need a separate interface for guitars? seems like you could use the M-Audio for both? I'm pretty clueless about these things though, so fill me in...
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

might have got the pod first. might want more channels. might like the way the pod sounds.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

I have a shitty amp and live in an apartment so micing an amp is right out. I was running the guitar into guitar rig but i'm not really a huge fan. I like the pod's modeling way more. Plus I just plug the pod straight into my monitors when I just want to play and not record. Before I'd have to go through my computer and that's annoying.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

have you tried splitting it in stereo, running one signal to the POD and the other to guitar-rig and blending them, yet? being able to run a wah on only half of your tone is an interesting and awesome thing. being able to run compression just on the high-end is a lifesaver.

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

heresy is progress wrote:
copstache wrote:Hardware

Pod X3 for guitars
why would you need a separate interface for guitars? seems like you could use the M-Audio for both? I'm pretty clueless about these things though, so fill me in...
I also live in an apartment, so micing an amp isn't an option. I like the ease of use as far as the POD is concerned. There are software options available, but I'm familiar and comfortable with the POD, so it works well with me. Plus I can use it without connecting it to my laptop, which is nice :D
ImageImageImage
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

John Jr. wrote:have you tried splitting it in stereo, running one signal to the POD and the other to guitar-rig and blending them, yet? being able to run a wah on only half of your tone is an interesting and awesome thing. being able to run compression just on the high-end is a lifesaver.
The cool thing about the x3 is that you can run two distinct and separate tone paths at the same time. You can blend them or send them over l/r or record them over multiple tracks simultaneously recording via USB. It's a really nice piece of hardware.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

fucking nice. if i have to buy one more power supply for my j-stations, i swear i'm gonna swap to pod....

copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Yeah even if you traditionally hate pods it's still worth test driving an x3 at some point. They really stepped up their game on that one
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

It owns
ImageImageImage
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

i'm not afraid of modelers, i just did not like the one that i tried MANY years ago and haven't really given them a second thought. my j-stations do plenty good for what i use them for, but the damn power supplies have the wart in the middle of them and tear up in an instant. the digitech replacements are something like $35 a piece, and i'm about to order my 4th one in 10 years.

Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I got a Line 6 UX1 and I'm using Podfarm now. I'll never go back.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I don't really know what to recommend I guess. I'd say whatever interface you get you should try to get more than 2 inputs.

What do you already have?

Do you need mics?

Do you have an amp you can record? If you have an amp you like with a line out you can use free convolution software to simulate a cab.

Do you have a space to record drums in (if you plan on doing that)? If not, can you move your computer?

I'd say that $700 is a start, but once you get going even with ultra DIY ethic, you're gonna need want a few things that can't be covered in this budget. Is the computer included in that too?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Bored, Esq. wrote:I got a Line 6 UX1 and I'm using Podfarm now. I'll never go back.
They also throw in podfarm for free* with the x3 for some reason. I honestly have nothing but positive things to say about it

*"free" because you Already dropped $400 on their premium hardware basically
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Well, I d/led other amp modelers and various plug-ins and Podfarm worked the best for me, I was able to get the tone I wanted. So I just stuck with that. I'll probably try out some other plug-ins in the future...
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

Copstache - do you use Guitar Rig at all? I recently picked up Komplete 6 and haven't used it yet. curious how you like it.