USA like Rome? or the British Empire?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

USA like Rome? or the British Empire?

Post by caldwell.the.great »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/opini ... ef=opinion

I tend to think of the US as a pseduo-empire in decline. A country doesn't have to be imperialist in the traditional sense in order to be an empire, right? So, with a sagging economy, internal cultural strife (gay marriage, but also the divide between left and right, liberal and conservative, evolution and creationism), difficult wars on multiple fronts, and no strong leadership to be found, I wonder if the country is in danger of losing more than its world dominance. sometimes i dream about the entire country collapsing in on itself in some kind of weird civil war. is that sort of thing even possible anymore?

this guy doesn't think so, but the article isn't terribly convincing. curious as to what other more informed posters think.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Re: USA like Rome? or the British Empire?

Post by soiled depends »

caldwell.the.great wrote: sometimes i dream about the entire country collapsing in on itself
Me too...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

how are we not imperial in the traditional sense? if you have a US military base, you are an economic colony.

rome, i think, is the better comparison. rome fell because it got so large as to cross the event horizon of effective communication time. in light of the development of instant communication and near instant transportation in the 20th century, the US finds itself with the exact same problem: it cant utilize or mobilize it's forces (militarily, economicaly, socialy, and otherwise) effectively to deal with the problems it percieves to face.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR
Threads Endlessly Scrolled

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

caldwell.the.great wrote:
sometimes i dream about the entire country collapsing in on itself in some kind of weird civil war. is that sort of thing even possible anymore?
very possible.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

the russians keep hoping for it :)

so if we break up, what states do you figure will go to canada, what states will go to mexico, and what states will be left?

i'm guessing nobody wants ohio....

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

caldwell.the.great wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/opini ... ef=opinion

I tend to think of the US as a pseduo-empire in decline. A country doesn't have to be imperialist in the traditional sense in order to be an empire, right? So, with a sagging economy, internal cultural strife (gay marriage, but also the divide between left and right, liberal and conservative, evolution and creationism), difficult wars on multiple fronts, and no strong leadership to be found, I wonder if the country is in danger of losing more than its world dominance. sometimes i dream about the entire country collapsing in on itself in some kind of weird civil war. is that sort of thing even possible anymore?

this guy doesn't think so, but the article isn't terribly convincing. curious as to what other more informed posters think.

Sure it's possible---why not? Things could easily get much worse and make this recession look like a picnic. Desperation breeds panic and violence.

Inject 30% unemployment, hyperinflation, and extend that over a period of a couple years and hell yes, could be civil wars. Of course those involved would have no idea who they are fighting or what direction they plan to take things. Far from impossible.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

Zerohero wrote:Of course those involved would have no idea who they are fighting or what direction they plan to take things. Far from impossible.
Really good point. Who the hell do you fight in the next Civil War? will it be the poor against the rich? will it be industrialists against those who don't stand to prosper from their investments? The democrat/republican vs. the invading interests of the corporation? And what exactly could spur a lazy public into taking action? I like conspiracy theories, but I'm often skeptical about them. Yet, as time goes on, I become more and more convinced that our government is intentionally breeding a lazy and useless populace for the sake of easy domination (I'm being half-sarcastic). This neglect of political life, and the continued abuse of power by those in power, really scares me the more I think about it. And it's the kind of thing that could lead to collapse... but in what direction?

Hell, I wouldn't know who to fight. I wouldn't know which side was the right one to be on. It's not just black, white, and gray; it's black, white, and about a million shades of gray in between.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

you're killing people. theres no right side for that, just the one you find yourself on.

i imagine, though, that i would be basically Status Quo vs. Disaffected People. if Status Quo cant maintain a reasonable quality of life for the Disaffected, the disaffected will probably start killing anyone in uniforms. see also: every long term military action we've found ourselves in from vietnam forewards.

and in a country as selfish as this one, it's not hard at all for people to begin feeling disaffected and anomic when the chips are down.

oh, and i'm sure Disaffected People will kill each other a lot in that situation, too.
Last edited by John Jr. on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Really good point. Who the hell do you fight in the next Civil War?
you kill the people who does not have your consent to rule you.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.

John Jr. wrote:the russians keep hoping for it :)

so if we break up, what states do you figure will go to canada, what states will go to mexico, and what states will be left?

mexico can barely rule itself...it wont be able to take over a state. well...it may take over southern california by default but that is about it.

John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

you kill the people who try to kill, rob, or imprison you, i would assume.

John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

lets just hope it doesn't implode. if it does, though, i'm hoping for snow-crash.

sometimes, i think fiction has ruined me.

Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:

But those people won't be sitting around in lawnchairs in Podunk county.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

also, i figure that teacher and film-maker will both be handy skills if you're willing to consider a position as a local propagandist.

Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I'm also hoping for a warm, comfortable apocalypse where I live in a giant black tower and have a rec room.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

i think the trick is to convince the masters to believe the propaganda that YOU make, and then do your best to get "creative control" based upon a few basic concepts outlined by whatever movement you're working for. try working at a local warlord level, as goebbels-esque superiors in large parties can likely put a crimp in your style.

Zerohero wrote:

But those people won't be sitting around in lawnchairs in Podunk county.
no...they wont.

Pisscubes wrote:
John Jr. wrote:also, i figure that teacher and film-maker will both be handy skills if you're willing to consider a position as a local propagandist.
Oh, I'd be fucking AWESOME at that. I suppose the ethical turmoil would tear me up inside but my new masters would probably give me women and swank digs so... so be it.
just be aware that journalist/local propagandist do get targeted and killed.

John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

oh yeah, that's what happens to people of influence sometimes in a revolutionary atmosphere. that's why i would suggest co-opting your group of choice as early as possible. if you're not particularly violent, i hear blackmail is the way to go.

mastoman
How's them beans, ma?

Post by mastoman »

nothing at all is going to happen unless all the television stations and fast food restaurants shut down.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

a single well placed .22 will take out a satellite uplink dish, and fast food restaraunts keep about 2 days of product on hand.

Deez Nutz
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Deez Nutz »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

John Jr. wrote: Status Quo .
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

John Jr. wrote:the russians keep hoping for it :)

mexico can barely rule itself...it wont be able to take over a state. well...it may take over southern california by default but that is about it.
Texas will be in the hands of the mexicans within a week. All you fat gun totting xasthur fans will be too scared of yer neighbours to do anything once the shit hits the fan.