I you were forced to listen to some metalcore

Music posts are a bannable offense.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Re: I you were forced to listen to some metalcore

Post by zombiehead »

I got into Metalcore in the late 90s with all those Victory bands like everyone else. Deadguy, Bloodlet, Integrity, Sick of It All, Integrity, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis and so forth. That quickly changed once I got more into Death Metal though, but yeah, bands that stole Slayer riffs was "Metalcore" to me back in the late 90s or so. I guess before this, the metallic hardcore bands like Warzone and Judge were probably called Metalcore too. (bunch of bands listed here, to lazy to re-read though).

Then when all those At the Gates clone bands started popping up, that became the new Metalcore. Then that slowly creeped into Emo territory.. and now everything is Metalcore.

The first bands I remember being described as Metalcore was Biohazard and Life of Agony. Which are honestly, very close to Crossover Thrash. As matter of fact, I would consider Biohazard's first album to be purely Crossover Thrash. That album kills, but I didn't hear that album back in the day, on their popular stuffs.

Anyways, I wasn't around for the first few Metalcore phases.. but I do likes me some Refused

and they're borderline thrash at times...
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

zombiehead wrote: The first bands I remember being described as Metalcore was Biohazard and Life of Agony. Which are honestly, very close to Crossover Thrash. As matter of fact, I would consider Biohazard's first album to be purely Crossover Thrash. That album kills, but I didn't hear that album back in the day, on their popular stuffs.
I am pretty sure the term was around, though obviously not the dominant term during the cross-over era as well, I'm sure older guys on this board may attest to this but I remember when I was first getting into underground metal, reading articles from old zines and interviews from older scene dudes that described SOD, Cryptic Slaughter, and the Cro-Mags as metalcore sometimes as well. Maybe there was even an 80's zine called Metalcore?

To me, it's all cross-over of some sort, it's metal dudes and hardcore dudes in bands together, or just dudes, like myself, and like a lot of people younger than me, who grew up liking elements of both sounds/scenes though not particularly relating to either particular one nor feeling culturally tied to either necessarily. There are great bands, and decent bands, and shit bands, obscure bands and mainstream bands who may fit the metalcore description and if 'metalcore' bands and fans as a whole have to own up to the shittiest examples of that sound, it's no less than Death Metal having to own Six Feet Under, or Black Metal having to own Ancient, and on and on. I guess I would consider myself a metal guy mainly, but I've never been a long-hair, leather jacket and motorcycle type, I wouldn't really consider myself a hardcore guy though I've always listened to punk and hardcore pretty much as long as I listened to metal.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
kmfcm
I hate my life.

Post by kmfcm »

Hororo wrote:
chrusti(ns)anity wrote:
Hororo wrote:If you say so, I believe you but I'm still surprised to read it since I've never encountered the term associated with these bands. It doesn't matter much anyway. What does surprises me is that people would consider Coalesce, Converge, Gaza or Deadguy as some sort of guilty pleasure.
I don't see them that way, though. I think that was the point of the thread intially, but the term has existed longer than the shit bands associated with it these days, so it morphed into "bands I like that could be called metalcore, either by modern or past standards."
Alright then. And I completly agreee with kmfcm too, what these bands are doing now is just pop. It's not bad, but it's as catchy and "safe" as a Lady Gaga song.
especially the ones that "ironically" cover Lady Gaga songs
(has anyone done that yet??? I know someone did that "Ke$ha" song)
"the fuck is this?, the fuck is that?"
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:
zombiehead wrote: The first bands I remember being described as Metalcore was Biohazard and Life of Agony. Which are honestly, very close to Crossover Thrash. As matter of fact, I would consider Biohazard's first album to be purely Crossover Thrash. That album kills, but I didn't hear that album back in the day, on their popular stuffs.
I am pretty sure the term was around, though obviously not the dominant term during the cross-over era as well, I'm sure older guys on this board may attest to this but I remember when I was first getting into underground metal, reading articles from old zines and interviews from older scene dudes that described SOD, Cryptic Slaughter, and the Cro-Mags as metalcore sometimes as well. Maybe there was even an 80's zine called Metalcore?

To me, it's all cross-over of some sort, it's metal dudes and hardcore dudes in bands together, or just dudes, like myself, and like a lot of people younger than me, who grew up liking elements of both sounds/scenes though not particularly relating to either particular one nor feeling culturally tied to either necessarily. There are great bands, and decent bands, and shit bands, obscure bands and mainstream bands who may fit the metalcore description and if 'metalcore' bands and fans as a whole have to own up to the shittiest examples of that sound, it's no less than Death Metal having to own Six Feet Under, or Black Metal having to own Ancient, and on and on. I guess I would consider myself a metal guy mainly, but I've never been a long-hair, leather jacket and motorcycle type, I wouldn't really consider myself a hardcore guy though I've always listened to punk and hardcore pretty much as long as I listened to metal.
I know its been around longer than that, the zine proves that, but I was just saying when I first heard the term..
Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

I don't know. A lot of bands in this thread are bands I never considered metalcore. Some hardcore bands with metal influences and vice versa, which yeah, that should actually define metalcore but for some reason when I think metalcore I think of shit that's more nu-metal based, hence why I kinda just brush it off almost immediately.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

heh, how did this turn interesting? laziest OP ever
kale
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

i guess it depends who you ask and what year it is
kale
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

neckbeard wrote:heh, how did this turn interesting? laziest OP ever
itt: old dudes remembering better days gone by
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

count me in for Deadguy/kiss it goodbye

does Cattlepress count? i really like that 'Hordes to Abolish the Divine' cd, even though everyone always says its inferior to their earlier records which i never actually heard... i like how it's mid-tempo and super stripped down
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

was the BBTS split with luddite clone mentioned? i mean, that and the EP are all they every did that was worth a shit.

sorry, that's the only one i could find
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Astronaut
I like to smell things.

Post by Astronaut »

" mosh metal "
SKI DOO
git help.

Post by SKI DOO »

keelhaul

playing enemy
Mendicant
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Mendicant »

I have Melbourne band Mindsnare playing atm for the first time in ages and they are pretty decent metalcore - probably Australias best band of that style although I don't exactly keep tabs on the scene
From Blintzes to Crepes
Elitist Prick

Post by From Blintzes to Crepes »

fuck you, I'm gonna listen to Norma Jean and 18 Visions (before half the band left to form Throwdown and Bleeding Through) because of this thread.
Friendly Goatus wrote:I want to shout obscenities into her vagina and then whisper apologies into her butthole
monsterod wrote:I'm gonna skin my dick to this when I'm sober enough to cum.
Gunther wrote:shut up redneck
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Oh yeah? I listened to Sworn Enemy because of this thread!! :o
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Killing Time and Merauder were metalcore.
Haha,
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Love that video.
Haha,
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

I had a couple of their cds, only liked that one though
Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

Hell-haine wrote:Oh yeah? I listened to Sworn Enemy because of this thread!! :o

From Queens New Yawk .............

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
MUTHA FUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

zombiehead wrote:I had a couple of their cds, only liked that one though
Same here.
Haha,
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

From Blintzes to Crepes wrote:fuck you, I'm gonna listen to Norma Jean and 18 Visions (before half the band left to form Throwdown and Bleeding Through) because of this thread.
Were you in da OC back then?
kale
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

neckbeard wrote:
From Blintzes to Crepes wrote:fuck you, I'm gonna listen to Norma Jean and 18 Visions (before half the band left to form Throwdown and Bleeding Through) because of this thread.
Were you in da OC back then?
Probably working the make-up counter at Macy's.
Haha,
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

other than some of the mentioned

for the love of - feasting on the will of humanity
blood has been shed - novella of uriel
Stabbable Corpse
...to the other side!

Post by Stabbable Corpse »

i havent heard much but I sorta used to like Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus