Explain The Term Hipster To Me

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Yonimusic
Gear in the Machine

Explain The Term Hipster To Me

Post by Yonimusic »

I am seriously confused. I had to wikipedia it and everything.

"Hipster" has been used in sometimes contradictory ways, making it difficult to precisely define "hipster culture" because it is a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior[s]."[1] One commentator argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity", and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."[3] Others, like Arsel and Thompson, argue that hipster is a cultural mythology, crystallization of a mass mediated stereotype generated to understand, categorize and marketize the indie consumer culture rather than an objectified group of people

Hipster, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty, and relaxed sexual codes.

I am not being sarcastic, please help me out here.
monsterod
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: Explain The Term Hipster To Me

Post by monsterod »

^well there ya go dude.
turn these off meatman.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

I, too, am very hazy on this whole "what the fuck is a hipster" thing, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Hooooo boy this thread is gonna be a doozy.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Yonimusic
Gear in the Machine

Post by Yonimusic »

So poseurs? :awesome:
From Blintzes to Crepes
Elitist Prick

Post by From Blintzes to Crepes »

Yonimusic wrote:The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty, and relaxed sexual codes.
I'm a retro hipster.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :( :( :( :cry: :cry:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I want to shout obscenities into her vagina and then whisper apologies into her butthole
monsterod wrote:I'm gonna skin my dick to this when I'm sober enough to cum.
Gunther wrote:shut up redneck
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

who is this doofus again?
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

just FOE & go
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Here is your prototypical hipster:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

pretty much any asshole that wears skinny jeans.
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

:theylive:
Yonimusic
Gear in the Machine

Post by Yonimusic »

Well I know what a douche bag looks like, but what do they listen to? Because I like garage/punk and have been told that is hipster. I am so confused :(
Yonimusic
Gear in the Machine

Post by Yonimusic »

Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Yonimusic
Gear in the Machine

Post by Yonimusic »

Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

strict
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by strict »

:yerma:
Last edited by strict on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

seriously
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

You came to the right place to ask.

Back in 2003 there was a powerful wizard named Johnlapse. I don't remember anything else about the story, but I'm going to lie and say that his worst enemy was a rapper werewolf whose powers were fueled by racism.

Johnlapse invented an immense wheel at the top of Judaism Mouvntain that he hoped would cripple his enemy once and for all. You could even see the wheel anywhere in the world just like the eye in those hobbit movies. The werewolf saw the wheel from his tower in Castle Frankenstein but he didn't care at all, and he would bark his most scathing diss verses out into the night, challenging the wheel; "Ayo my name is MC Franklin and I'm here to say, I must become president and not fail god... I shout fuvk ovv, and johnlapse watches on?! Tee hee yo?~ Knowe!?..."

But Johnlapses evil curse wheel wasn't stopped by the pummeling battle verses. Every time a little boy or a little girl would post the word 'nigger', the device would sputter into motion, grinding out crazy sparkly magic shit, and POOF the word 'nigger' would be replaced with the word 'friend'.

Eventually though that became really funny and cool to people so they would just say 'friend' on purpose, so Johnlapse murdered Richard Pryor in blind fury and decided to build a new component to his wheel. It was like a gigantic press that would actually flatten the word 'nigger' so that it would become a grisly epitaph, which read 'Richard Pryor RIP', so that everyone would fear Johnlapse and know not to anger him.

But pure magic was not enough to make this unearthly machination move. Johnlapse knew he needed powerful manual labor to keep his operation in a functional state. So he took an entire legion of ablebodied men and committed them to the clay and earth, and drew upon their brows a sigil, and the sigil was the mark of Kevin, and the mark was four upon each brow, and three upon each four to each of them. And at the end of the season, he plucked these man-seeds from the soil, and they had become hipsters.

Now I may hate women, but they say that to this day, if you look at the moon on any given Sunday and whisper "Conventional taste... conventional behavior..." you can hear the sniggers of the hipsters, their sarcastic mirth betraying anguish at the hands of evil Johnlapse the Wizard.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

If you are unlucky enough to find yourself in Japanese folklore you may be wandering around at night only to discover a hipster jumping on your back and biting the top of your head. Most people are completely fucked up by this and they never survive. But if you remember, you can say these magic words and the hipster will be commanded to leave you alone. This is how they go:

Just how deep do you believe
will you get up off your knees
will you bite the hand that feeds
will you chew until it bleeds
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

james wrote:You came to the right place to ask.

Back in 2003 there was a powerful wizard named Johnlapse. I don't remember anything else about the story, but I'm going to lie and say that his worst enemy was a rapper werewolf whose powers were fueled by racism.

Johnlapse invented an immense wheel at the top of Judaism Mouvntain that he hoped would cripple his enemy once and for all. You could even see the wheel anywhere in the world just like the eye in those hobbit movies. The werewolf saw the wheel from his tower in Castle Frankenstein but he didn't care at all, and he would bark his most scathing diss verses out into the night, challenging the wheel; "Ayo my name is MC Franklin and I'm here to say, I must become president and not fail god... I shout fuvk ovv, and johnlapse watches on?! Tee hee yo?~ Knowe!?..."

But Johnlapses evil curse wheel wasn't stopped by the pummeling battle verses. Every time a little boy or a little girl would post the word 'nigger', the device would sputter into motion, grinding out crazy sparkly magic shit, and POOF the word 'nigger' would be replaced with the word 'friend'.

Eventually though that became really funny and cool to people so they would just say 'friend' on purpose, so Johnlapse murdered Richard Pryor in blind fury and decided to build a new component to his wheel. It was like a gigantic press that would actually flatten the word 'nigger' so that it would become a grisly epitaph, which read 'Richard Pryor RIP', so that everyone would fear Johnlapse and know not to anger him.

But pure magic was not enough to make this unearthly machination move. Johnlapse knew he needed powerful manual labor to keep his operation in a functional state. So he took an entire legion of ablebodied men and committed them to the clay and earth, and drew upon their brows a sigil, and the sigil was the mark of Kevin, and the mark was four upon each brow, and three upon each four to each of them. And at the end of the season, he plucked these man-seeds from the soil, and they had become hipsters.

Now I may hate women, but they say that to this day, if you look at the moon on any given Sunday and whisper "Conventional taste... conventional behavior..." you can hear the sniggers of the hipsters, their sarcastic mirth betraying anguish at the hands of evil Johnlapse the Wizard.
:blackmeadow:
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Hipster:

Adj Someone who likes something you used to like, but now they like it, it's no longer cool anymore.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

white belt means grindcore
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

doomeddisciple wrote:Hipster:

Adj Someone who likes something you used to like, but now they like it, it's no longer cool anymore.