Sir Schwartz's Unstoppable Pro Wrestling Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Broken Into Pieces
O.G. Interwebber

Re: Sir Schwartz's Unstoppable Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Broken Into Pieces »

shit... from checking on the dates re. the Osirian Portal winning the Chikara tag titles, I just found out that Amasis had to retire a couple of months ago apparently due to spinal injuries received in a car accident :cry: :cry:
Image Image
Xbox 360: Pabo Byungshin
¡Viva los Rudos!
oskorei noise industries
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

BUNGVOX wrote:p.s. can someone tell me what the appeal of alberto del rio is? is he supposed to be like spic flair or something?
i'd say more of a Telemundo JBL.
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

The Bill wrote:So, honest to goodness, I did not read the Turd Dude's spoiler because I thought it would make me really angry, and the WWE would destroy Punk because there are still so many people in the arena that drools over Cena. and I still have hope. Check out my diary which I've been writing now for a few hours randomly here and there tonight like a damn fool ( and drinking and editing as I go). Two bottles of fine wine in. My silly choice, my last true night of freedom and I decided to discuss wrestling. Fuck it, it's the thing I've watched the most these last four months. I've seen countless "shoot" interviews, old times wrasslin', Attitude WWF and n.W.o. WCW and finally ROH. Also,a bunch of proper ECW:

A heel "pretty boy" will still bring in the broads. The young kids will still love Mysterio and Sin Cara, who is interchangeable.

Hmm? I was walking around in a circle like a chooch, then some things dawned on me. Cena compared himself to Hogan, hmm? HHH said the winner will be who he want's, hmm? Cena didn't say he respected the fans only HIS fans, hmm? And he got mad at Punk for expressing his opinion, even though he used to say everyone has their own opinion, hmm? I call Cena finally goes heel Summerslam, and Punk ends up bringing some young guys to help the fight, like Cabana and the Kings of Wrestling.

And with Mysterio being the number one contender on RAW. It only makes perfect sense that heel Cena crushes him, because Mysterio is still legitimately injured. Also, who's going to be the heel against the Rock. I know I've thought too much about this. Yet, I think my isolated insanity as finally produced fruit. I'm finally in tune with McMahon.

I hope this happens, I really hope. Pipe dream. In reality I imagine Del Boreo wins it from either champ. which is not good. He needs a few more years to become some one of matter. Any one really remember Shamus' or Swagger's title runs? It was good intentions, but both dudes aren't experienced enough. Slow build, dicks. Now a days they would give the championship to Nation of Domination The Rock, which would have been a horrible idea. Slow build, dicks.
Amen brother. We need a wrestling blog or something.

You guys know the Jim Cornette Dairy Queen story? Look it up on youtube, there's video that's hilarious but Cornette's story about it is gold. Cornette has some great shoot shit on Youtube.
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

BUNGVOX wrote:
The Bill wrote:So in roughly only two months time Mr. Anderson went from face to heel to face again? Oh TNA! Oh, Russo!
TNA is a bunch of crap. wish that company would fuckin drop dead.
pretty much. Joker-Sting could be my least favorite gimmick of all time.
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

TNA is garbage. There, I said it. They waste talent and push has-beens and rejects and piss away so much potential.

CZW--DJ Hyde seems a perfect fit for the booker of garbage can alley down in Philly. He puts his talents in uncompromising situations and expects them to risk their lives for peanuts. He's the star in almost every show of his I've seen. Again, so much talent, but so much misuse and abuse.

ROH--excited about the Sinclair stuff coming up; Adam Cole is an easy to hate heel and I'm excited to see his ass get beat. Hope they keep the Briscoes and the American Wolves and develop new talent from the indy scene.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

Turd Murder wrote:ROH--excited about the Sinclair stuff coming up; Adam Cole is an easy to hate heel and I'm excited to see his ass get beat. Hope they keep the Briscoes and the American Wolves and develop new talent from the indy scene.
if WWE ever gets back to giving a fuck about tag teams the briscoes would definitely be on the top of the list. same with haas and benjamin.

those are the kind of teams you build a tag division with.

ROH understands tag team action better than most companies.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

always thought mid to late 90's ECW always had the greatest tag team action going ever... so many amazing matches out of those guys from Eliminators, Putbulls, Dudley Boyz, Sabu / RVD, FBI. 2 Cold / Sandman, Spike / Balls... etc..
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

valgalder wrote:always thought mid to late 90's ECW always had the greatest tag team action going ever... so many amazing matches out of those guys from Eliminators, Putbulls, Dudley Boyz, Sabu / RVD, FBI. 2 Cold / Sandman, Spike / Balls... etc..
absolutely. paul heyman understood how to make a roster that was composed of both great singles competitors but also killer tag teams. in addition, he also had great tag wrestlers that could also be tapped for singles action if need be.

oh and don't forget:
the impact players [lance storm/justin credible]
dreamer and sandman [as the sort of 'megapowers' tag team]
the bad breed
any configuration of the triple threat [especially candido and bigelow]
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

BUNGVOX wrote:
valgalder wrote:always thought mid to late 90's ECW always had the greatest tag team action going ever... so many amazing matches out of those guys from Eliminators, Putbulls, Dudley Boyz, Sabu / RVD, FBI. 2 Cold / Sandman, Spike / Balls... etc..
absolutely. paul heyman understood how to make a roster that was composed of both great singles competitors but also killer tag teams. in addition, he also had great tag wrestlers that could also be tapped for singles action if need be.

oh and don't forget:
the bad breed
Also forgot to mention 2 Cold Scorpio (who I always thought was way underrated) and Sandman tag team always had great chemistry together.
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

I don't know if you guys are hip enough to follow my blog, but I did a piece on my experiences at a live ECW show. You can read it here:
http://blackcandlemagik.blogspot.com/20 ... ng_27.html
But I know some of you don't leave the board, so here's a cut and paste:
I call this story, the time Lindsey took me to an ECW show and it Turned into a Riot, and it is one that I truly cherish whenever it comes to mind, and also one that captures us at a crazy moment in our lives, totally scary but after it's over we pretend like it was nothing major, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I must start at the beginning. The very beginning.

As a child, I was obsessed with professional wrestling, the first time I really remember a storyline was when the WWF set up the feud with Don Muraco spitting on the Superfly, Jimmy Snuka. My little kid brain was convinced that spitting on someone was just about the most lowdown you got, and the Magnificent One had one coming. Security swarmed the Superfly, trying to hold him back so as to not maul his instant adversary. And sure, I can sit here now and think about watching that on the TV and being hypnotized by the event transfolding, but to me it was magic, magical battling and the eternal struggle of good and evil.

And I adored Mr. Snuka, and soon my whole family knew it because all of a sudden I had a Superfly poster in my bedroom and my brother-in-law Eric was taking me to wrestling matches at the Struthers Fieldhouse, where I watched all those warriors depict the Dramas of the Ages, even as I began to root more for the side of the heels.

So the majority of my lifetime at this point has consisted of an ebb and flow of watching wrestling and pretending it didn't exist anymore. I tuned in and out, for various eras and changes, and by the time my wife and I had moved with our friend Jay to New Jersey, leaving Ohio for the east, I had become a somewhat dedicated fan of the product that ECW was creating out of Philly. This was professional wrestling that had stirred the embers of my burnt out love with my childhood visions of the out of control and the reckless display. I was able to find on one of the local channels in the Kent/Akron area that played the ECW tv shows at two in the morning, purchased as infomercial timeslots but used to showcase the story lines and brutality of the independent federation. Then the guy I worked warehouse with at Gabriel Brothers taped the Barely Legal PPV and lent it to me. The Eliminators made quick work of the Dudleys, Taz is there, against Sabu in a grudge match I do not understand, and Terry Funk sacrificed his body and career to put over a whole gosh darn locker room of rebels and misfits and misunderstood workers who could reinvent themselves. It was so captivating and raw, it felt personal to me, the experience of feeling like a fan of this otherworldly product.

I never got a chance to see a live ECW event in Ohio. I think back then they may have passed through Cleveland but I either didn't know about it or didn't dare venture outwards. But we made the leap to NJ, into moving into a house of three others, plus my wife and I--and I kept taping the late night show because a channel on our cable carried it. But somewhere I found a flier that said they were going to do a house show in Elizabeth, NJ and my heart stopped and I started scheming.

I didn't scheme much. I told Lindsey and she told me she'd take me, so we had to go to Elizabeth to pick up the tickets in person for some reason, I guess it wasn't that kind of show. Had to pick them up in a record store down the street from the place where I saw my first real life pimp, leaning on his pimp mobile, like living the lifestyle or else doing a heck of an impersonation. It was that kind of place. Since then, I have noticed there is a prevalent smell that is exclusively Elizabethian in timbre, unforgettable but that day unnoticed due to the living breathing Diorama of a stereotypical ghetto, and we're just buying tickets on a Sunday night? You have to understand existence in Ohio was somewhat limiting in such otherworldly movie scenes. What I saw was the real thing, and we were going to come back to see ECW in a high school gymnasium. That was daunting. What was also daunting was ECW's penchant for turning the fans' seating areas into warzones, splattering across collapsed folding chairs and delighted fans, but I was not so worldly and didn't think that what I'd been watching could seem too real. I was well old enough to know by then wrestling was arranged, but that was when I realized what these guys put their bodies through to entertain their fans seemed a bit on the mideval side. But I loved it, and wanted to be a part of it like a little boy again, the kid who insisted on watching every Saturday afternoon and then with more and more frequency, hypnotized.

So, we know Elizabeth's kinda scary, but the area we go to is pretty uninhabited and kinda quiet and unlit. And we had to walk a ways to get from the car to the gym, so as we got closer it got louder and once we walked in the smell and the sound and the calibre of the people just about broke one under my nostril. The crowd seemed edgy, not just there to have a good time but there because they were there to see something chaotic and bloody and cathartic. We felt so young and out of place, like real outsiders, but no one seemed to take any notice of us. And then the show started, and everyone's attention was on the ring.

I can't remember the opening match, it was an obvious squash but still you were unable to take your eyes away. Taz wrestled second or third on the card, which was intense, when Taz was pushed as a badass worker you had to believe he was a cocky, arrogant badass, even though his opponents towered over him at times. I was buying it, at least.

But all in all, the card was wild and crazy but didn't really push the envelope much until the second to the last match. It was a three way dance, with Sabu, the Franchise Shane Douglas, and Tommy Dreamer, who seemed to be replaying the role his mentor Terry Funk played a few years prior in a similar stipulation.

It was not that epic battle, no it was more of a smash and grab match of high spots and a down the stairs bump that Tommy Dreamer took down the bleachers, and landed at my feet. He slowly stood, and I asked him if he was all right. "Yeah," was all he said and he cut through the front row to reenter ringside.

So, my wife had purchased us second row seats to this thing. I guess general admission would have been all right by me, but she has a hard time seeing at events like this, so I think she wanted to get up close and enjoy it with me. Well, it may have been just a bit too close. I don't know how many rows were set up around the ring, but Dreamer had rolled to a stop at the second row, through tipped chairs and a tangle of legs and bodies of people who were too entranced to move out of the way. But he was fine, and they worked the finish, and I couldn't tell you who won. Honestly the whole spectacle of it all wiped that memory away.

I do remember, though, a tenseness passing through the crowd when they knew which match was left: the Dudleys versus the newly cobbled team of the Gangstanators, formed from the leftovers of two great teams whose missing members had moved on from the Philadelphia federation. I was not so naive to believe even then that this match would be anything but chaotic, but I guess I really didn't put myself fully into the situation.

The whole Dudley entourage came out and did their pre-match routine, taking turns on the microphone to bait the hot crowd ever further. I think at that time they were finally coming into a gimmick that seemed to veer from their comedy roles they had played in ECW and were becoming serious heels who drew heat. As much as I admire him now, I hated Joel Gertner and how smug and self-assured he was. He was an unheralded genius as the team's, what, personal announcer? He was great later on the product's commentary but he had that window to say such angering things. And they were so smug, so smug to make you boo them even harder, and then a sound blared over the PA system, a sound of breaking glass that was unmistakably the first few seconds of New Jack's entrance music. Dre's sliding synth would kick in and you'd hear the approach before you saw New Jack and John Kronus coming down the entrance, through the exploding crowd.

It wasn't a wrestling match, in any sense of definition. It was World War Three, all in capital letters, the sensory overload of the men attacking each other with big swinging fists in every seeming direction as it spread from the ring to the floor, and from the ringside area it kicked over the barricade and entered the fans' space. And you had to move as the crowd surged, we were so tightly packed from the seats behind us that had gotten collapsed into the sea of chairs covering the gymnasium floor. We held our own the best we could, knowing it would have been somewhat unsafe attempting to weave through the crowd. Bodies would part and Big Dick Dudley was beating Kronus with his crutch, full overhead swings that went wild through people. More than one person was already bleeding, and there was blood on the floor, red on yellow, just feet before me.

And Natural Born Killaz kept playing, kept looping through the PA. It never stopped. It was the team's sole introduction and kept tensions high with electronic beats and shrill treble making everything vibrate. I looked to the ring and saw New Jack with what looked like was an X-Acto knife that he was using to carve the forehead of Bubba Dudley, forgoing any code of kayfabe and allowing the crowd to see the real bloodshed that disregarded any trade secret. He held him in the corner and worked at a wad of scar tissue until it flowed like a spigot. Things just seemed to be in the stages of collapse, and the crowd fed off the blood sacrifices on offer and became enraged, almost hostile as a form of worship. I began to fear for our safety. The security on hand were there in some unknown capacity, mainly to move the crowd out of the way when they would do their crowd spots, but in this melee, they seemed to be feeding. Less than an arm's length away a security guard had seized a kid, maybe 14 years old, and put him in a front facelock, similar to the chokehold Taz would use as his finish. But this kid's limbs were flailing and when I realized security had no intention of protecting the crowd, Lindsey and I seemed to agree telepathically, and then verbally confirmed, that leaving would probably be a good idea. Somehow we began weaving, desperate not to trip on a chair or a fallen wrestler. We cut back then across the gap between the crowd and the now empty bleachers. At the door of the gymnasium, I looked back, like Lot's wife, and while I did not turn into a pillar a salt I took a mental Polaroid of the chaotic carnage we were leaving behind. Natural Born Killaz was still playing and nothing could be seen but surging crowd.

Walking briskly back to the car, suddenly the shadowy streets of Elizabeth were not so easily fearful, even getting lost coming home did not phase me. But every time after that, I watched the shows and PPV's with a certain reverence, like I had shared in this thing they were fashioning for themselves, a kind of wrestling program that wasn't family friendly but rather an edgy alternative to staleness in the industry. They would go on, all of them, to change the business of wrestling in many ways, changes for the better and worse, but none so intense as the first time. There was a rise and fall to its history, and several attempted reinventions, but you have to deal with the law of diminishing returns here.

A few months later, I had heard of them doing a card in Woodbridge, a closer area to our home, a place we were somewhat familiar with, and we got tickets. In General Admission, for the better for everyone involved. In that short span of time the fire of ECW kept getting hotter, and the crowd was bigger but also a little younger, and just as vile and vulgar and just epic was the product. Maybe you gotta be up close to really feel the heat. All I remember is that New Jack had a singles match against Bam Bam Bigelow, and by that time he was the foreign object guy, something you could label and then so somehow contain it easier. But we still got up and sat in the back for the match. Lindsey wouldn't even look at the ring while New Jack was out there, just staring at her shoes.

This poor girl, I thought, I've scarred her forever. But she loved me enough to bring me back and even took me to a WWF show the next year, in stadium seating that was safely attached to the floor. And we've been to several Ring of Honor shows in Edison as well, I don't know if she realizes just how amazing the matches we saw were, but the first ROH she got us second row seats that happened to be on the rail on the entrance ramp, and she wanted to touch them as they walked by and got mad when Austin Aries punched her outstretched hand.

One show we went to, she had decided to get up and go out of the Inman Arena and moments later, American Dragon Brian Danielson pitched Samoa Joe into our section, and went back into the ring for a suicide flip straight into the mess of crowd with Joe at it's center. On his way down he full on kicked this girl in the head, who took it like a champ. There I was again, in a sea of broken chairs and overweight fans too lethargic to move, and instinctively I went to pull Lindsey from the melee and fight our way out, but I remembered she was out on adventure, so I gave in to the insanity of the moment and surrounded the fallen wrestlers and cheered and yelled when the match went to a 60 minute finish.

I found her afterwards. I think she met Prince Nana, she said, and when I told her she'd just missed one of the most amazing wrestling matches I'd ever witnessed, she kind of went on with her business (whatever business Lindseys take care of when they're bored at a wrestling match), and I basked in the afterglow alone all the way home.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

cool story... Do you know if RF video has a fan cam of that show you went to? Would be cool to go back and watch it.. I was lucky to see ECW in their prime 10 or so times, and went to a PPV also.. some of the most fun times I think I ever had... it's cool looking back at that great and unique time that really was. The crowds are like NO other.. always so amped and generally smart. The wrestlers were always very fan friendly as well, hanging out as much as they could before or after events.
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

valgalder wrote:cool story... Do you know if RF video has a fan cam of that show you went to? Would be cool to go back and watch it.. I was lucky to see ECW in their prime 10 or so times, and went to a PPV also.. some of the most fun times I think I ever had... it's cool looking back at that great and unique time that really was. The crowds are like NO other.. always so amped and generally smart. The wrestlers were always very fan friendly as well, hanging out as much as they could before or after events.
I hear ya, and thanks for the compliment! Having been to a few indie shows in the wake of ECW passing, I never felt the same energy like an ECW show. I've had Necro Butcher wearing his Crimson Mask slug Jay Briscoe and ask me for my chair in Edison, but amidst the chaos, I never felt in danger. I was scared at the show in Elizabeth.

Goddamnit I love wrestling!!!
kmfcm
I hate my life.

Post by kmfcm »

The Bill wrote:So in roughly only two months time Mr. Anderson went from face to heel to face again? Oh TNA! Oh, Russo!

complete with blood streak hair

it's April again

(Angle is pissy off over his ex wife again too?. . . .yeesh)
"the fuck is this?, the fuck is that?"
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

valgalder wrote:
BUNGVOX wrote:

oh and don't forget:
the bad breed
Also forgot to mention 2 Cold Scorpio (who I always thought was way underrated) and Sandman tag team always had great chemistry together.
i was just adding to your list brotha. i know there is gonna be some ECW on my tv tonight. i got a bunch of the old episodes converted to DVD. i have about 15 hours of shows and PPV.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

BUNGVOX wrote:
valgalder wrote:
BUNGVOX wrote:

oh and don't forget:
the bad breed
i was just adding to your list brotha. i know there is gonna be some ECW on my tv tonight. i got a bunch of the old episodes converted to DVD. i have about 15 hours of shows and PPV.

yeah I know.. I just remembered them being a team.. although short lived.. I think 2 Cold has the TV title during the same time and he started to call himself 2 Gold.. I'm sure there are a ton of guys i'm completely forgetting..

once in a while a really cool wrestling channel will pop up on Justin.tv and i'll watch old ECW footage or shoot interviews for days straight.. still fun to watch all those old matches years later. I really can't follow any new stuff at all unfortunately.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Mother fucking damn it. Why? I though you dudes were on a role of awesome. Although the Kevin Nash business is highly interesting. And Phoenix lost! I'm thinking these last few months were them blowing smoke up our asses. They better pull some fucking fine ACES out of this shit or I'm pissed. This Monday's RAW is the last bit of wrestling I get to see until about a month's worth of media cut off. When I get back this shit better be in tip top shape. Well, worse case The Rock is coming back, and The Bill has always enjoyed The Rock even though The Bill was The Bill back in 1990. Yeah, The Rock is a better The Bill, anyhows.
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

well that was a fun couple of weeks. fucking dogshit company.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Luca Blight wrote:so I guess...I'm glad I didn't brave going to the grimy sports bar down the road to watch this shit?
No, not really, but Daniels can put on a damn fine match. He's like the new WWE Kurt Angle. i think him and Barret wen real stiff at one point.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i don't understand WWE's insistence on putting spic flair in the spotlight over CM punk who is a bonafide megastar.

good fucking job WWE.

assholes.
Sgt. Pat O'Phile
Keep it thick...

Post by Sgt. Pat O'Phile »

Who is that fucking Miz guy anyway? And how is he that annoying?

I'm watching this right now and I swear to god - if Cena wins or that spic somehow gets involved, I'm ditching non-japanese pro wrestling altogether.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

Sgt. Pat O'Phile wrote:Who is that fucking Miz guy anyway? And how is he that annoying?

I'm watching this right now and I swear to god - if Cena wins or that spic somehow gets involved, I'm ditching non-japanese pro wrestling altogether.
cena does not win. but really that's the only good thing that happens. the rest of it is a bunch of bullshit.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i love how they have taken this whole angle and completely botched it up.

it will be a miracle if they manage to make things right.

p.s. fuck the whole 'money in the bank' concept.
godofdeadlydeath

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

So, basically, you guys will only be happy if CM Punk is on top in a dominant fashion? I've been interested in WWE again because of the unpredictability, and last night's ending certainly threw more than a few wrenches into the works. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Nash might be past his prime, but as an enforcer or hired hitman type of guy, I think he could be pretty awesome. Who hired him? HHH? Stephanie? ADR? I want to know, so I'm going to keep watching. It might end up in a McMahon-centric mess, but at least the way they did it was unpredictable. Where does this leave Cena now? How about Punk? Will Rey beat Alberto for the title tonight? Call me a fanboy, but I thought it was a pretty solid PPV overall.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

BUNGVOX wrote:i love how they have taken this whole angle and completely botched it up.

it will be a miracle if they manage to make things right.

p.s. fuck the whole 'money in the bank' concept.
Summerslam left a very bad taste in my mouth, indeed. Stephanie being all over it foreshadows a bunch of crap coming to RAW, as well.
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

I was a but let down by the show's finish, I must say; not that the match itself wasn't excellent, believe me, it was much less clumsy than their last PPV encounter, Cena & Punk put on a hell of a show. It's just I didn't care for

and here I spoiler
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
the partycrashers! You know what, fuck Del Rio and his quasi racist gimmick. He is not champion material in my opinion. He's all gimmick and nothing else. WWE screwed the pooch. Gotta tell it the way I see it. They had a golden goose and instead of laying an egg they left us holding handfuls of goose shit. Brown ain't gold.

I can't get used to calling AMDRAG Daniel Bryan, but boyo, he can wrestle! Him and Skippy Brit worked a classic, yet stiff, wrestling clinic. I hope no one got seriously injured.

On the list of horrible wrestling color commentators, Booker T is right behind the American Dream in sheer gibberish coming out of that guy. Good lord! The rest of the card didn't really interest me much, sad to say. Sheamus/Mark Henry was interesting concept but the finish blew donkey balls. And Big Sexy shows up fresh from the hair salon, the dye still glistening in his beard and ponytail, good to see the old man can still powerbomb a 222 pound superstar. You fat fucking spotlight hog, did you blow HHH to convince him to do this angle? You shit all over what was, until he showed up, an interesting ambiguous finish, and I thought Monday would be fun (re rematch) But HHH can't sell facially worth a shit. Fuck him too.

Ugh, the all to familiar sting of wrestling let down. I have hopes for RAW tonight, but if they drop it, I'm all set with their BullShit.