indomitable nth-wave feminism thread [RAPE CULTURE 101]

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: indomitable nth-wave feminism thread [RAPE CULTURE 101]

Post by Spooky Apparition »

another man accused of rape completely blows it. note how he doesn't even acknowledge the victim's accuser's anti-rape culture warrior's trauma or how many women this story might have triggered in the last few months. he sure seems happy to be off the hook for a felony though :wank:
Late last year, Conor Oberst was accused of raping a woman after a Bright Eyes show in 2003. In February, he sued his accuser, Joanie Faircloth, for libel, claiming his reputation had been damaged by her accusations. Earlier this week, Faircloth, whose real name is Joan Elizabeth Harris, recanted her statements in a public apology.

Now, Oberst has issued a statement: "I have accepted Joanie Faircloth’s apology and retraction to clear my name. This has been extremely difficult and stressful for me personally and for those I love. I’m appreciative of the family, friends, fans, and business partners who supported me throughout this and look forward to happier times as we all move forward with our lives."
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -rape.html

"Considering that Faircloth has a long, public record of being a super-fan of Oberst and Bright Eyes, this feels a little bit closer to a story about an unstable fan than a warning tale about false rape accusations. Oberst’s dilemma is closer to that of other celebrities, like Madonna or David Letterman, who have had to deal with stalking and harassment from mentally ill people developing obsessions with them."

it's great that on the same day one story is posted that basically says falsely accusing someone of rape if you have other mental issues lets you off the hook and makes a discussion about false rape accusations irrelevant, and another story is posted saying that if you're falsely accused of rape you'd better deny it a certain way because society demands it.

btw, it really hurts me to bring up the guy from Bright Eyes in an even remotely positive way.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote:another man accused of rape completely blows it. note how he doesn't even acknowledge the victim's accuser's anti-rape culture warrior's trauma or how many women this story might have triggered in the last few months. he sure seems happy to be off the hook for a felony though :wank:
Late last year, Conor Oberst was accused of raping a woman after a Bright Eyes show in 2003. In February, he sued his accuser, Joanie Faircloth, for libel, claiming his reputation had been damaged by her accusations. Earlier this week, Faircloth, whose real name is Joan Elizabeth Harris, recanted her statements in a public apology.

Now, Oberst has issued a statement: "I have accepted Joanie Faircloth’s apology and retraction to clear my name. This has been extremely difficult and stressful for me personally and for those I love. I’m appreciative of the family, friends, fans, and business partners who supported me throughout this and look forward to happier times as we all move forward with our lives."
Not enough sore winners in the world. He should have ended it with "P.S. Now that the bitch cried wolf, I hope she does get raped, and now no one will believe her."
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Pisscubes wrote:"I bet he fed her Zzzquil in a creme brulee and then put a Rescue Rangers Viewmaster in her ass, you know?" :|
ahahahaha yes!

let's open a pool for what quasi-rapey thing this guy did

I'm banking that it was a bit worse than the notorious stare rape but that shouldn't deter anyone from putting down money on it
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

My guess is he did absolutely nothing, and that's exactly what she's pissed about.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:?
Spooky Apparition wrote:it's great that on the same day one story is posted that basically says falsely accusing someone of rape if you have other mental issues lets you off the hook and makes a discussion about false rape accusations irrelevant, and another story is posted saying that if you're falsely accused of rape you'd better deny it a certain way because society demands it.
you can't expect everyone on earth to think the same ways about all things every day, right? unless the same person wrote these two articles

the false rape accusation thing is a goddamned disaster for feminists so of course they'll be on full alert for any funny business. rape is constantly minimized and swept under the rug, then some horrible story hits the news and is a PR windfall, but then it's negated because of whatever the fuck that duke lacrosse woman was thinking? of course people will turn a critical eye to this CAH's dude's blog
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oh, also:
Necrometer wrote:
spacehamster wrote:What's funny is that anyone thinks this is a gender topic.
I didn't understand what this one was about - cross-dressing seems gender-y to me
I guess maybe I just see a story about a fucking two-year old kid here and not another theater in the Gender Wars. The kid is two. He barely has an identity at all, much less a socially/culturally coded gender identity that includes the notion that skirts are inappropriate attire for men. My guess is he a) thinks they're more comfortable than pants and b) he looks up to his older sibling and wants to dress like her because she's his big sister and he thinks she's cool. Except for the parents' idiotic reaction, there's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary going on here. This is about two millimeters removed from parents having to teach kids that it's not okay to wear sweatpants 24/7, no matter how comfortable they are.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I hear ya. Article about non-problem by guy trying to demonstrate how open-minded he is. That dad is definitely the target of The Onion's mockery with shit like this:
http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/im-no ... would--226
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Necrometer wrote:rape is constantly minimized and swept under the rug, then some horrible story hits the news and is a PR windfall, but then it's negated because of whatever the fuck that duke lacrosse woman was thinking?
What bothers me is exactly that, when incidents like these are viewed in terms of how they might affect the broader 'mission' behind feminism rather than the specifics of the situation. whether or not rape is constantly minimized and swept under the rug (a debatable point) has nothing to do with the merits of THESE accusations of rape. it's like every case has to be viewed in the context of the totality of interactions between men and women throughout human history. no one accomplishes anything.

you see that sort of thinking at work in that one guy's denial and the responsibility foisted upon him to shift societal mindsets instead of just trying to clear his name, or when a writer is afraid to condemn a woman who tried to ruin a man's career with a terrible accusation because it will "hurt the cause" or some vague shit. it makes it impossible to have an honest discussion when these arguments are less about the specifics of a situation and more about a preconceived notion of what has to happen in order to right past wrongs, change society at large, etc.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

you're making sense; my post was intended more as explanation than excuse
Spooky Apparition wrote:whether or not rape is constantly minimized and swept under the rug (a debatable point)
a lot of this stuff is really fuzzy and susceptible to whichever lens, but I don't feel like there's any question or reasonable debate about whether or not the extent/frequency/reality of sexual assault/abuse is largely hidden from society. maybe up for debate is why this happens: the shame and stigma victims face is probably the main thing, along with additional systemic/practical shit
Natas
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Natas »

Which one of these two is Roman Temkin?

antinatalism
Cause Of Death

Post by antinatalism »

The punishment for a false rape accusation should be actual rape.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

LOL natas
Pisscubes wrote:"He probably is lying and put his dick in her sleeping mouth" simply because you're worried about a backlash against feminism.
I said that because (1) I am dedicated to clowning, and (2) it's not covered by his definition of all the stuff he didn't do.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

antinatalism wrote:The punishment for a false rape accusation should be actual rape.
Would there be a designated person that performs these actions? Like a state executioner? There'd have to be some new term invented like "nonconsensualation"
Wank night's cancelled
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Post by Advances>|<MONKEY »

It would be a lottery that foxnews viewers would litterly get into brawls standing on line to play. I'm sure they dripple a tad merely saying the phrase "bitch.. in her... placce"

Whatevers going on, the idea that CYBERFEMINISTS are not doing enough in the real world rings sort of false when the primary goal of that is to shift social attitudes themselves.
"I AM THE LONE RANGER" = Donald Trump.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Lol

ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

0/ :pizza:

keep it in the 4chan zone
Natas

Post by Natas »

Going to def have to agree with necro-meter
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

That chick's face triggers me every time :tdown:
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i don't know, "i'm too healthy and can only move my upper body a few inches" is a pretty good line.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

copstache wrote:i don't know, "i'm too healthy and can only move my upper body a few inches" is a pretty good line.
Now I'm just glad I'm not the only one who laughed at that.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

those things always have a few good zingers but it's just way better suited to that other thread imo
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

A joke about saying it's rape when somebody calls you "ma'am" belongs precisely in this a-here thread and nowhere else.
Natas

Post by Natas »

I've been curbing my use of ma'am a little lately even though the thought of someone getting pissed off at it amuses me.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

disrespectfully disagree

(@ mike)
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.