Pisscubes Bitches About Curt Schilling: The Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Pisscubes Bitches About Curt Schilling: The Thread

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:Yeah, I just don't fucking get that part. Like the douche from Facebook. He's worth BILLIONS and he still does this shit?? If I ever made enough to allow me to live in luxury for the rest of my life without working, there is no fucking way I'd be working on anything but ridiculous pet project in film and music.

SELL THE COMPANY. GO LIVE LIFE.
Isn't he a huge nerd and control freak? He probably loves what he does.

I like what one of the co-founders is doing. He moved to Singapore in order to not pay US taxes on the sale and an article said he's been living it up quite well with models and booze. Living the dream.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

Zap Rowsdower wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:
F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:
F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:The fact that he made $140 million, as you said, by basically being able to throw a ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball forward very well...it's so beyond ridiculous that I can't even think about it without getting depressed.

Edit: not MADE, was given...this guy has never made anything.
I can't get any more made at that than capitalism in general. He didn't really get paid that well because he can simply through a ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball. He got paid that well because people who were already billionaire found a way to make billions more by _charging_ people to watch him throw a ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball.
Yes.

And when I'm a billionaire I hope I have the balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls (sorry) to look around my life, in every nook and cranny, and say to myself, "You know what I REALLY need now? More money!"
Yeah, I just don't fucking get that part. Like the douche from Facebook. He's worth BILLIONS and he still does this shit?? If I ever made enough to allow me to live in luxury for the rest of my life without working, there is no fucking way I'd be working on anything but ridiculous pet project in film and music.

SELL THE COMPANY. GO LIVE LIFE.
I'm still astonished that so much of the financial community bought into the hype of Facebook. I've been saying it was overvalued for years. Anyway, that was probably smart of the kid to sell high in the event of a Yahoo-esque collapse, he can still walk away work eleven figures.

Back to Schilling, he got paid by a billionaire so said uber-wealthy white guy could be part of something he can't by talent - a major sports championship. Schilling basically tried doing the same thing in a way, using his money and charisma to be a successful businessman, since his lack of business acumen couldn't do it. I'm speculating of course, but there has to be some sort of fraud involved in his company. Whether he was a part of it, I can't say, just don't count out the possibility of felony charges.
the financial community never bought into facebook... they bought into an IPO they could hype and due investors out of look and make $$$$$ on their fees. Fucking sharks for sure. Did NOT buy any of that crap, thank the Sweet Lord Hitler I get NYDM investment newsletters...
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Wang Mandu wrote:I like what one of the co-founders is doing. He moved to Singapore in order to not pay US taxes on the sale and an article said he's been living it up quite well with models and booze. Living the dream.
yeah what a swell guy :wank: he and schilling should team up in a new venture.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

that game, kingdoms of amalur...was actually fun
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote:yeah what a swell guy :wank: he and schilling should team up in a new venture.
Sorry if that doesn't jive with your Sunday school lessons but it's not like the other Facebook guy did anything remotely close to Schilling's blunders.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Chad wrote:that game, kingdoms of amalur...was actually fun
Schilling's studio didn't make it though. They bought out Big Huge Games while that game was basically completed.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

So I'm seeing news reports that 38 Studios, and the other studio(s), are roughly $100 to 500 million in the hole. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Brewster's Millions is such a good movie. Buying a glacier and towing it South. :lol:
Pisscubes wrote:I still don't get how they went through so much money and even worse how NO ONE told Curt-- first time "business man"-- that maybe this wasn't a viable model for a company.
Well the people that told him that were probably brushed aside and the people that indulged him probably made millions off his misfortune.

Beyond that, it always amazes me that these mega-millionaires don't have a single reputable financial adviser that sits them down and says, "This is how much money you need to live the rest of your life comfortably without having your house foreclosed on. Put that away somewhere. The rest of it you can piss away on your None Of The Above campaign."
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Reading the entire list of creditors brought the laffo

Clark the Locksmith :D
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

It finishes strong, too. $100 in unpaid cab fare.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Steal a TV, go to jail. Swindle tons of people out of millions and millions, all in the public eye, go home to your mansions and sports cars.

Capitalism: totally awesome.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Why do you hate freedom so much, Mike?

Let the market decide how the people who control the market get punished
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

spacehamster wrote:Steal a TV, go to jail. Swindle tons of people out of millions and millions, all in the public eye, go home to your mansions and sports cars.

Your whole elite standard of living is stems from all the giant cash that's flowed into your banks for a couple centuries. Make no mistake where that standard of living comes from.

And though a pile of notches down the list, I realize our USA standard of living is based on cheap labor from the 3rd world. Just, for the record anyway.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Zerohero wrote:
spacehamster wrote:Steal a TV, go to jail. Swindle tons of people out of millions and millions, all in the public eye, go home to your mansions and sports cars.

Your whole elite standard of living is stems from all the giant cash that's flowed into your banks for a couple centuries. Make no mistake where that standard of living comes from.
And where in the hell did I imply otherwise? I know what they're telling you over there, but Europe has largely capitalist economies too, they're just slightly more regulated than yours. When I say "capitalism", I don't mean "America". The exact same shit is happening here. Our political right is currently simultaneously trying to force legislation that means immigrants can be deported for petty theft and fighting tooth and nail to defend our banks' ability to aid foreign millionaires with their tax evasion.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I think about 98% of my anger over this would go away if Cvrt simply stated he was wrong and a touch hypocritical. He can go Tea Bag small government for all I care, just own up to the idea that you were enticed by government investment. Have some fucking accountability.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

spacehamster wrote:
Zerohero wrote:

And where in the hell did I imply otherwise? I know what they're telling you over there, but Europe has largely capitalist economies too, they're just slightly more regulated than yours. When I say "capitalism", I don't mean "America". The exact same shit is happening here. Our political right is currently simultaneously trying to force legislation that means immigrants can be deported for petty theft and fighting tooth and nail to defend our banks' ability to aid foreign millionaires with their tax evasion.
Honest question: Not to defend capitalism in it's current state, but if your country were to put strict regulations on banks, and all the tax evaders decided to take their money to the Cayman Islands instead, what would happen to your general standard of living?
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Cryptoplasty wrote: Honest question: Not to defend capitalism in it's current state, but if your country were to put strict regulations on banks, and all the tax evaders decided to take their money to the Cayman Islands instead, what would happen to your general standard of living?
Probably not that much. The banks don't just fund the country directly, they've funded, over the decades since about WW2, its transformation from a largely agricultural (and thus poor) economy to one based on technology and the service industry. At this point, that would probably be sustainable on its own. I'd be much more worried if the pharmaceutical corporations or Nestlé go belly up, it's them who really own this country, not the banks.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Wang Mandu wrote:Sorry if that doesn't jive with your Sunday school lessons but it's not like the other Facebook guy did anything remotely close to Schilling's blunders.
"sunday school lessons"? what does that even mean? schilling took taxpayer's money and wasted it. this facebook guy did everything he could to avoid paying taxes on one of the biggest cash windfalls a person could possibly earn for a relatively little amount of work/time/risk/capital put into an endeavor, which potentially has the same opportunity cost as tax dollars wasted on a bad loan, and at the same time is indisputably illegal. both of them are douchebags.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Why do you hate job creators, Geoff? The rich are the pillars of society. Where would we be without them?
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Thread is now entirely class warfare

buncha Odumbo apologists and Occupy Wall Street types
Ogre of Disgust
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Ogre of Disgust »

SchiLOLing, amirite? I wonder if at some point the relocating employees started tripping at the prospect of a startup willing to pay out their mortgages and otherwise cover relocation expenses when there wasn't even a product yet, in a super-tight market in a shaky economic climate?

"Nah honey, they're gonna pay for everything!" :lol:
POST SUCKS
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Pisscubes wrote:Article written by a wife of one of the employees:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1723 ... ks_out.php
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I want to tell a different, but not impartial, side of this story. I am telling this for two reasons. First, to raise awareness and help for any of the family or employees involved. Second, so other people know what companies can do.

I am not a 38 Studios employee, a big baseball star (who may or may not have trusted the wrong people), or some politician trying to prove a point. I am very involved though and affected by this disaster, as a wife and mother, who has moved the most important people in my life to a new state. I knew Rhode Island would be different, but hopefully still an adventure and maybe a home eventually.

We moved to Rhode Island at the end of December 2011. We opened our presents on Christmas Day, took down our tree on the 26th, and began packing and loading moving trucks on the 28th, all because my husband was hired by 38 Studios and told he had to start work as quickly as possible. We spent a month living out of a hotel searching day after day for a house to rent. My children could not get back into school and could not start a new life until we found a place to settle. Finally we found a place to live, paid deposits on the house, utilities, etc. and moved. We registered all three children at all three new schools, because we do have one in each - elementary, middle, and high school. Finally, our stuff is delivered and our life can start again. It's always hard to move and this is our second big move, but we finally made it to the point where we can re-build our support system and boy were we ready.

My husband has been in the gaming world for a long time. Most of his life has been spent working in this industry and he is well equipped to deal with the problems that go with it. He is usually hired when things are ready to be tied up and finished or they need someone with experience who can tell the left hand how to work with the right hand to meet the release dates set.

The first week he worked at 38 Studios he was concerned about the different teams and their ability to work together. He went to more than one executive during the weeks that followed encouraging them to make changes or deal with the release date issue. The company was not ready for him to do the job he was hired to do, therefore he was placed on other projects to wait it out.

Obviously, in the weeks to come our family had less trust in what we were being told. We did not have a chance to love 38 Studios or [founder and ex-baseball pro] Curt Schilling. We really only saw the landslide of mistakes and ultimate failure. We did not see this coming or could we have ever imagined how in 2012 a company could get away with treating employees this way. There have to be laws or safety nets or something … right?

So, on the 15th of May I sat down to pay bills and upon checking our bank account noticed we had not had our direct deposit made by 38 Studios. I called my husband and asked him to check on it when he got to work. When he came home that night he told me that he had to stay for a 5 o'clock meeting to find out they didn't make payroll. He was unhappy, but said that he was promised they were working on the problem and sure they would have it worked out by the next day.

The next day began at 7:30 am and ended at 7:00 pm. It took 10 1/2 hours to find out that they still could not pay him and didn't have any answers. On the May 16th-21st, my husband returned day after day, told to drive in to work and promised pay, but every day came home empty handed after late meetings and more promises. The longest day was 12 hours and each day we were spending more money on gas and more hope going out the window. During this time, we were also trying to keep our children from worrying while they spent each day hoping to catch a glimpse of their dad before they went to sleep.

By the 22nd we were really scared and feeling lied to, my husband decided it's time to work from home to save the gas money as did many others at the studio. At many times it occurred to us to just give up and move on, but we didn't. There was one main reason. If we left the company we would be responsible for the relocation costs of moving to Rhode Island from just five months ago and we did not have the funds to pay for that after not receiving paychecks. From May 22nd-24th, my husband worked from home trying to come up with ideas to get anything out the door and bring in some money to save 38 Studios. We also get another kick while we were down on May 22nd, when one of the employees' wives is at her pregnancy check up and is told that her insurance company has notified the doctor that it was ending at midnight on the 24th of May. When confronted, 38 Studios admitted they had been aware since the 21st of May that due to lack of payment for several months, insurance was going to be canceled on May 24th.

Again, they knew the problem existed and chose to not tell us or give us any notice. On the 24th of May, my husband was laid off officially after six days of wasted gas, with no payment of wages for all of May (1st-24th), no insurance, slim chances of ever seeing any money since the State of Rhode Island would be paid first by all asset sales, and had to drive in once more to get his belongings and attend a meeting on unemployment benefits.

Ok, so time to lick our wounds, get back on the horse, and find a new job. At least we stuck it out and won't have to pay back our relocation costs according to the Chief Operating Officer. Wrong! On June 1st, we get a letter from Atlas Van Lines with 10 days to pay our overdue moving bill of a sizeable amount. Six months has gone by since our move. There was no notice at any point that this had not been paid and now we get a bill with 10 days to pay. Why now? Haven't they had 6 months to collect this? Didn't the company say we would be let out of our contract since they folded? Couldn't they have given us a heads up at any point before we were broke and our savings gone to feed our children? After all, a heads up on this might have alerted us to a problem with 38 Studios before we got to this point. Well on one page in a series, of approximately 45, we signed a document stating in tiny print that we would be responsible if the company does not pay. I don't know if most people are aware, but moving with three kids, a dog, and a cat from one coast to another is a bit tiring and this document was of course presented on the day our stuff arrived in Rhode Island, which was chaos.

So, there goes our credit rating no matter how hard we are trying to still pay for all bills with no income. We have no income, no time to prepare, and I will not let my children starve to pay for a move that did not exactly work out. Why hadn't Atlas collected from 38 Studios? We were told by an Atlas representative that they had a special working relationship with Curt Schilling, therefore they were trying to work with him. Must be nice to have at least 30 days, let alone six months to pay for this bill.

Am I angry? You bet! I have been taken for a ride and am having to take a handout from the government for the first time in my life. Who do I get to direct my anger at? Nobody! The ones responsible aren't around to chat with or pay for the consequences of their actions. At moments I think Curt Schilling trusted the wrong people, but at least he is having to deal with this mess too. At other times, I am angry and think Curt Schilling is a smart man and should have done better!

Where will we go and what is next? I have no idea and am just trying to feed my family and love them and hope moving my kids again won't completely break their trust in us or hurt them too much. I think we could have liked Rhode Island. I think of all the supportive people and friendly faces and how much kindness we have been offered since this happened from people we barely know. We will probably be moving away from this state and paying taxes and working somewhere else soon. It is a shame that certain politicians couldn't get past the need to prove a point about being against 38 Studios and see they were harming their state in the long run. I mean 38 Studios was already here and the way I see it anything that could be done to make it a success would only benefit Rhode Island. As it stands, there are close to 300 very talented people dispersing all over the country and out of Rhode Island. There is an empty building with no game to be sold and a bunch of equipment that will not come close to paying for what is owed more than likely. And worst of all, there are some great people here in Rhode Island that will not benefit from the boost in economy.

My husband is interviewing daily thanks to an amazing industry trying to make up for what has happened. He is a talented man, who feels somehow responsible for moving our family into this mess and wishes he could have saved this company and every person at 38 Studios' jobs. He is just trying to take away what lessons he can and move on.

Me? I blame a company named 38 Studios and all of their executives for moving so many families while knowing they weren't paying bills, weren't going to hit their dates, and were running out of money. Learn this lesson from our struggles so you never have to experience it first hand. Protect yourself and family any way you can, read the small print, and realize no matter how big the company is if they run out of money there is very little you can do to get what is owed to you.
I'm surprised the husband in this article didn't sew a baseball glove to Sshitlickings face while shoving a ben wah string constructed of baseballs and razorwire up his ass. That article makes me want to stomp in the skulls of republican's babies as their parents watch while wearing a che guevara shirt.
Wank night's cancelled
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

But he was trying to be a job creator
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Let the market decide how shitty of a job Curt Schilling did

Early results suggest very shitty

Somehow this is Obama's fault
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Pisscubes wrote:I don't know about other states but in MA we have the WARN law that makes is illegal in all but a very few situations for people to just close doors and not tell the workers. There are guidleines to when you should know you're going to face bankruptcy or have to close down and the employees have to be in the loop. From what I understand RI has something similiar and Schilling could face some law suites because of it. Larf.
The WARN Act is federal so it applies to businesses in every state. Individual states may have similar legislation though that requires matters supplementing federal legislation. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that the fines from any violation will come from Schilling's personal coffers. Corporations/LLCs etc have limited liability for the actions of their directors and officers. Unless the company was a massive fraud or shell company, he personally won't be responsible for outstanding debts and obligations. Moreover it's unlikely that the company had D&O insurance so any fines likely won't be paid.