OH LAWD!

Re: Pisscubes Bitches About Curt Schilling: The Thread

Post by TF@work »

I'm assuming he was very sympathetic when Solyndra went ass over tits
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i haven't read enough about all of this and i didn't know the dude was supposedly some aggressive tea party type before he got, what, 100 million in loan guarantees? but can you allow the possibility that this is RIs fault and this dude is actually horrifically optimistically stupid but not some maddoff type character? and probably just like any other failed gaming studio out there they tried to do something impossible and its made all the worse because of its overlapping with state funding? or is all this totally redundant and beside the point
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

if Curt Schilling were an athlete, he'd be Jeremy Roenick

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
bloodsock was fake
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

fallbacktostone wrote:i haven't read enough about all of this and i didn't know the dude was supposedly some aggressive tea party type before he got, what, 100 million in loan guarantees? but can you allow the possibility that this is RIs fault and this dude is actually horrifically optimistically stupid but not some maddoff type character? and probably just like any other failed gaming studio out there they tried to do something impossible and its made all the worse because of its overlapping with state funding? or is all this totally redundant and beside the point
Basically I think the contention isn't so much that he's a swindler as he is a tremendous and very visible hypocrite that refuses to acknowledge his own tax money suckjobbing:
The Bahhhhstin Globe wrote:“The governor is not operating in the best interest of the company by any stretch, or the taxpayers, or the state,’’ Schilling told the Providence Journal, Rhode Island’s largest newspaper. “We’re trying to save this company and we’re working 24/7. The public commentary has been as big a piece of what’s happening to us as anything out there.’’

The former baseball star also disclosed that he has invested some $50 million of his own money into 38 Studios, and he risks losing it all.

“To be clear, I’ve never taken a penny out of this company,’’ Schilling told the newspaper. “If this company fails, I will be financially devastated, and so will other people.’’
Total :drool: of a human being, this one
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I generally agree with everything in this thread but believe there are some finer nuances to this but the situation is still flawed in most ways.

My biggest WTF?!? is how someone with ZERO business acumen thought he could enter a declining industry that is almost monopolistic outside of the emerging mobile gaming sector. Hell, EA has lost 17% of its value this year, and Blizzard Activision has regressed, even after releasing one of the biggest console games and a long waited PC game. Yet the failure is on the gubmint because he couldn't make good on their $75 million loan.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
metal5411
I hate my life.

Post by metal5411 »

LOL Rhode Island.
krudmonk wrote:Just fuck a robot that looks like her. It's Japan, retard.
monsterod wrote:Look, I'd rather be riding a rocket-propelled wild boar through space with a bottle of Maker's getting a blowjob from Mrs. Snozzberries. But at this point, I'd be satisfied with a brisk trot down the street from a common sow.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

so apparently according to npr rhode island was the one that approach schilling about the investment?
Gunther
Forum Administrator

Post by Gunther »

Pisscubes wrote:The story gets more bizarre. Apparently he put down 5 million in gold coins as collatoral on a DIFFERENT loan from a bank in RI in February for an undisclosed amount-- the day after KOA was released.
in like 2 years this mother fucker is going to call himself a "sovereign citizen" and start living in a shack in the middle of west virginia. jesus christ.
Black Jacques wrote:Gordon Lightfoot looks like he was freubds with ghengus John.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Zap Rowsdower wrote:My biggest WTF?!? is how someone with ZERO business acumen thought he could enter a declining industry that is almost monopolistic outside of the emerging mobile gaming sector.
Pisscubes wrote:Schilling is a blow-hard ego-maniac
before the collapse...
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2 ... ond-career
SCHILLING: It was a passion. I had to do something I had a passion for because I want to be the best in the world at it. I wanted to create a multibillion dollar company that lets me go out and let us go out and change the world and create a Skin Cancer Awareness Center that costs a quarter a billion dollars.

The Bill Gates kind of things, that was the initiative to founding this company and taking people with me along the way. Like I said we're at 400 people, incredibly talented, passionate people. It's kind of opening day on career number two.

HANNITY: I met a guy who helped found the company that does Guitar Hero, Rock Band, all those other games. A lot of smart people put together games that people want. Now, they become rich and then we're going punish them.

SCHILLING: That's a whole different -- like I said, everything is backwards right now from a successful business perspective. Small businesses are a massive part of the engine that drives this country.

When you have -- there needs to be a large broad sweeping restructuring of how people are incentivised to create jobs. Like I said, every dollar I can't commit to my company that's paid in taxes is paying a government that I believe is too big and doing way too much that I don't want done.
:fp:
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Gunther
Forum Administrator

Post by Gunther »

this is my favorite part of all of it
The 2010 financing deal requires 38 Studios to pay for the audit.
he's going to cry so hard about this.

there should be a reality show starring tim thomas and curt schilling called Real Americans.
Black Jacques wrote:Gordon Lightfoot looks like he was freubds with ghengus John.
aeser
git help.

Post by aeser »

been hearing about this in the news every day. can't believe that shitbag. yea, the government should bail out a video game company that failed to make a single game that anyone bought.
aeser
git help.

Post by aeser »

heard something to the effect of his reasoning for the state funding him was he was going to "create jobs" but the vast majority of them were in baltimore or something like that, not even RI?
aeser
git help.

Post by aeser »

Pisscubes wrote:The state should have recognized immediately this was a bad idea when no private investors wanted a part of it and should have done enough research to figure out 75 million really probably WON'T get you an MMO with development, marketing, servers, etc.
basically making any mmo in a world where WoW still has like 10 million subscribers is an exercise in losing your shirt, they have like 99% market share, you are not going to fuck with this, pick a different genre.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

You aren't going to be opening a quarter billion dollar skin cancer awareness center by staying small and profitable...
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Like I said, every dollar I can't commit to my company that's paid in taxes is paying a government that I believe is too big and doing way too much that I don't want done.
ololollolololololollolooll
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

"Sorry, Curt, but we're ending free agency. But hey, you're welcome to start your own league! Bootstraps and eagles and parades and such!"

--Hilarious Alternate Universe Bud Selig
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Pisscubes wrote:
Necrophilic Mallard wrote:You aren't going to be opening a quarter billion dollar skin cancer awareness center by staying small and profitable...
I don't even really understand what a skin cancer awarness center is.
I bet it has no windows.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

It's amazing that celebrities continue to convice people they actually care by starting charities. I would assume most people have figured out that they do these things purely for publicity.
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

The ultimate in leave-me-alone charity: Ted. Motherfucking. Williams.
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Wikipedia, in an attempt to make you weep into your Corn Flakes, wrote:Throughout his career, Williams made countless bedside visits to children being treated for cancer, which Williams insisted on going unreported. Often, parents of sick children would learn at check-out time that "Mr. Williams has taken care of your bill."
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

Ted Williams ruled.

I read Teammates by David Halberstam and totally fell in love with him, he was often times a prick, but you know he genuinely cared about the people he surrounded himself with.

Today's athlete that fits that mold is Jay Cutler. It's not just because I'm a Bears fan, but the guy does so much charity work that goes unpublicized because he doesn't care how people view him.

*except Cutler probably won't be a Hall of Fame level player. whatever
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:Would people really dislike an athlete who simply played hard and didn't bother anyone else?
No, because they have to pander to the media.

See Jay Cutler

*Also look at a coach like Belichick. He gives the bare minimum effort in press conferences and probably works harder than any coach, but it universally hated. Rex Ryan is a dumbfuck and is loved by the media because he flaps his gums all the time.
Last edited by DR. THRAXX on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

Cryptoplasty wrote:It's amazing that celebrities continue to convice people they actually care by starting charities. I would assume most people have figured out that they do these things purely for publicity.
Way to miss the point, angry goth man.
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

Pisscubes wrote:The whole branding thing is a great way to get idiots to think you're a SERIOUS BUSINESS MAN.

I know someone who wandered into a job as a SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERT-- a good paying one-- by conivncing them in the interview he would be BRANDING them and making them a BRAND with their WEB PRESENCE.

He started a facebook page and a twitter account and that was about it.
I've been debating whether or not to actually do this kind of thing on the side for a few local businesses. I really think some places would hire people just to run a Facebook or Twitter page for their business.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

krudmonk wrote:Way to miss the point, angry goth man.
I understand what the point is. I was making a statement, even if it was off point. Please accept my sincere apology is this displeases you.