Boxing thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Whiffleball Ace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Whiffleball Ace »

Pisscubes wrote:Hahahaha-- I know Mayweather can be an arrogant dude, but listening to a group of rich white doctors talk about how they were rooting against him because he, "Needs to be shown some humility" and because he's "So arrogant" made me laugh as I could just FEEL how hard they were fighting themselves from calling him "uppity".
I'm not a big Mayweather fan, in fact, I don't like him primarily because his fights are so boring, but, at this point, I'm perfectly fine with the notion of admitting that he IS probably one of the most impressive athletes alive, and also that he just might be a genius. As per the most recent fight, I think it was one of his best -- a master class in defense, counter punching and conditioning.
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Whiffleball Ace wrote:I'm not a big Mayweather fan, in fact, I don't like him primarily because his fights are so boring, but, at this point, I'm perfectly fine with the notion of admitting that he IS probably one of the most impressive athletes alive, and also that he just might be a genius. As per the most recent fight, I think it was one of his best -- a master class in defense, counter punching and conditioning.

Yup exactly how I feel about the guy. He's without a doubt the best fighter of our generation and a top 5 all time boxer. But his fights are without the most boring things ever. Especially his last 4 or 5 fights have been just horrid and the only time he actually hurt anyone in those fights it was a sucker punch.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

He's the "best" of this generation and fighting guys who let him put his best on display - His post 135lbs career's benchmark is how well he has sold winnable fights to maximise his profit and minimise his risk.

He is not the most exciting fighter going - The last time he put on an all out offensive display was when he fought Gatti at 140 and really put it on Arturo.

I think he could have won a lot of tougher fights at key times that would have really put some distance between him and Pacquiao in the debate for the best fighter from 2000-2010 - But Pac took that accolade because he took on the bigger challenges and finished the majority of his fights emphatically.

If you look at Floyd's fights from 147 up - Starting back I guess around 2005/6 or something - He fought like Mitchell, Judah and Hatton at 147 who were really 140lbers, Baldomir who was convinient only because Baldomir upset Zab and had the belts and Oscar who had already struggled with Steve Forbes in the fight prior to Floyds.

This period here was when he reallllly could have made a concrete play not to be just the best pure boxer of his time (and there's an argument for Bernard Hopkins to be made against that title) - But a true ATG Welterweight. As it is, he rates pretty well - But there were just so many more meaningful fights he could have taken especially in that 147 pre-2007 retirement phase to lock him a lot higher on the legacy front.

Prime Margaritto, Cotto, Vernon Forrest, Shane Mosley 5 years younger and more vital, Paul Williams and most certainly Pacquiao.

All of those fights winnable for Floyd - Plus giving him a stronger argument when he said stupid stuff like Sugar Ray Robinson isn't as good as him cause he had 19 losses (Which is ridiculous when you consider SRR only lost once in his first 130 odd fights to a middleweight who he then beat like 4 other times).

It was the 30th anniversary of Ray Leonard v Tommy Hearns first epic fight yesterday - I would pick both of those guys to dismantle Floyd's shoulder roll - Ray knocked our Floyd Snr who utilised that style - And there's a pretty decent list of welters throughout history I would pick over Floyd as well - I absolutley concede that Floyd would be a handful for any fighter on that list and do not take away from his breathtaking skills.

But the thing that most irks me about Floyd is that I think he wasted a lot of his talent on lower risk fights.

I would like to see him fight Marvella at 160 - A very winnable fight for Floyd at this stage of Marvella's career - Marvella is the linear 160lbs champ and give Floyd a fight to do something more for the legacy over the already ridiculous bank balance.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Hey doomeddisciple you might want to check out the forums here at http://www.boxingscene.com/

You make a valid argument on Floyd's career and I agree with most of it. But you might want to test that argument on the guys on the boxingscene forums. Some of those Floyd fans can make valid counter points so you might want to check it out. It's a pretty cool place and I have a lot of fun talking boxing on it.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I used to post on East Side Boxing so I have worn the full fury of the Floyd nut hugger brigade before.

I also used to post on the Cyber Boxing Zone which was populated with the most knowledgable and experienced boxing people until it died a year or two back.

I haven't had the energy to join another community - I accept that my post above overflows with my own opinion on the matter - But my central issue is that Floyd himself has agreed with my main point in many interviews - If his opponents are hand picked and he's making 40-80 million a fight on them, then keep hand picking them opponents.

I am a bit more romantic about boxing history and have a longer term view as is afforded those that don't get pucnhed in the head ribs and liver for a living!!!
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

doomeddisciple wrote:I used to post on East Side Boxing so I have worn the full fury of the Floyd nut hugger brigade before.

I also used to post on the Cyber Boxing Zone which was populated with the most knowledgable and experienced boxing people until it died a year or two back.

I haven't had the energy to join another community - I accept that my post above overflows with my own opinion on the matter - But my central issue is that Floyd himself has agreed with my main point in many interviews - If his opponents are hand picked and he's making 40-80 million a fight on them, then keep hand picking them opponents.

I am a bit more romantic about boxing history and have a longer term view as is afforded those that don't get pucnhed in the head ribs and liver for a living!!!

I posted on eastside boxing a bit but I thought boxing scene was much better. Ah so you are familiar with the Flomo nuthuggers?! Yeah we got those we also have the pacroid nuthugger. Guys that only like slick boxers which means they only like Floyd and Adrian Brohner. There is also the never ending Mexico vs Puerto Rico flame wars!!! And then you got the Vitali-Wlad nuthuggers dont even gim me started on those assholes! Seriously join up I wanna talk boxing with you on it and i really think you would enjoy it!
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

golovkin/stevens tomorrow night should be entertaining, mark it
Last edited by Chad on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Chad wrote:golovkin/stevens tomorrow night

golovkin looks like a horror movie clay doll but he is an incredible fucking puncher

should be entertaining, mark it

Steven has been talking mad shit for the last couple of week. A pissed off Triple G will be interesting.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

Pistol Whip wrote:

golovkin looks like a horror movie clay doll but he is an incredible fucking puncher

Steven has been talking mad shit for the last couple of week. A pissed off Triple G will be interesting.
no doubt, I'm looking forward to this fight more than any of the remaining PPVs, seriously. golovkin is on matthysse levels of explosive fun to watch for me. the fact that Stevens is not a shitty fighter makes it so interesting...quality matchup
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Shut the fuck up Chad you fuckin lisping fucking fag.
Haha,
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Chad wrote:
Pistol Whip wrote:

no doubt, I'm looking forward to this fight more than any of the remaining PPVs, seriously. golovkin is on matthysse levels of explosive fun to watch for me. the fact that Stevens is not a shitty fighter makes it so interesting...quality matchup

Agreed I have wanted to see GGG against a bit better compatition. One can only hope that a matchup with him and Sergio Martinez can be made in the future.

Hey I was meaning to ask you what did you think of the Marquez vs Bradley Decision?
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

:pizza:
Last edited by Chad on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

Pistol Whip wrote:Hey I was meaning to ask you what did you think of the Marquez vs Bradley Decision?
agreed with it, but disliked his comments after. however, he did kinda prove himself. bradley is laughable to some cause he is chipmunky, but he is an elite boxer. he won that fight, IMO, if not overwhelmingly
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Chad wrote:
Pistol Whip wrote:Hey I was meaning to ask you what did you think of the Marquez vs Bradley Decision?
agreed with it, but disliked his comments after. however, he did kinda prove himself. bradley is laughable to some cause he is chipmunky, but he is an elite boxer. he won that fight, IMO, if not overwhelmingly

Me personally I thought the fight could have gone either way and to be honest I thought Bradley fought like a complete bitch. 65% of the punches he landed were non threatening jabs while Marquez was obviously landing the bigger harder shots. The fight was a complete stinker boring from begining to end and Bradley may be in the elite fighter bracket but who's gonna pay to watch his fights? If Pac wins maybe we might see a rematch but thats about the only money fight he can get right now.

What comments did he make? I was so disgusted with the fight and the money I pissed away on it that I changed the channel.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

he said he ''gave him a boxing lesson'' - which I thought was fucking dumb and disrespectful to say. he wasn't utterly rude or anything, he gave Marquez some respect, but the tone of it got dumb considering how the fight went
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Chad wrote:he said he ''gave him a boxing lesson'' - which I thought was fucking dumb and disrespectful to say. he wasn't utterly rude or anything, he gave Marquez some respect, but the tone of it got dumb considering how the fight went

What the fuck he landed a bunch of jabs and didn't throw anything with power because he knew he would get countered almost at will. Thats not a boxing lesson it's boring ass points fighting!!
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

New man crush on 3G - Exciting middleweight - Marvella must come out of hiding.
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

I just watched Mike Tyson's one-man show on HBO. I fucking loved it. It reminded me that "stupid" and "uneducated" are 2 completely different things, and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
Pro-Mike :tup:
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

I don't know, but I'm going to start scanning the guide because I want my old man to watch it. I laughed until I was out of breath, I gasped and put my hand over my mouth, and I got teary-eyed more than once. It ruled. Watch it by any means necessary. He even talks about THE JEWS.

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Chad
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

watching marcos maidana embarrass adrien broner last night was so great
hyperviolence
Static Migration

Post by hyperviolence »

wasn't broner supposed to be the next big thing in boxing too? I have sortve tuned out of boxing over the last few years but i feel like ive heard that guys name. maidana has a habit of stopping hype trains, victor ortiz was being primed to be the next de la hoya before he met him in the ring a few years back. now that was a great fucking fight
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

:lhug: :rhug:
Last edited by Chad on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I enjoyed Golovkin on the weekend more than I got amped for the long overdue Pac May - I am concerned it will turn out to be a massive hyped event but that compubox will reflect that Fifty Shades of Grey Dude lands more shots on the chick than the winner of the bout - But I'm happy to be wrong - #50shadesofmay
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

rumors of a Lomachenko undercard?

this is nothing to expect the worst from

we should enjoy the hype for once

bask in it
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »