Re: the NOT WORTH ITS OWN THREAD thread could be revived

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:52 pm
Having fun is so cringe, people, stop being old and uncool!
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

I went to a Brian Wilson concert and it was just like that, except the music was good.
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 am I went to a Brian Wilson concert and it was just like that, except the music was good.
Bet you're old and still danced. Pfff so cringe :roll:
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Old people trying to relive their youth will forever be cringe.
It's even worse when their youth was also cringe.
Fact #7
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

:what:
Fact #7
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:43 am Old people trying to relive their youth will forever be cringe.
Why? They gave up huge parts of their life so they could raise kids, working their asses off etc. (how much of a conscious, informed decision this is is questionable of course, but this doesn't take away from the fact that most people give up so much fun and satisfaction for a life of frustration when they "grow up" and get a career and/ or kids). Don't they deserve being goofy idiots now and again?
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I don't think anyone is calling for a mass execution or anything. From an American cultural perspective though, understand that that style of music is strongly associated with cool young black guys, and although this may sound silly those artists cultivated an image of menacing, unapproachable criminality.

Those songs are very old; add to that that the performer is editing the lyrics to provide a sanitized version of the experience, and that the band absolutely fucking sucks. It creates a very ironic and funny juxtaposition between the vital and potentially dangerous content of the original culture, against the thoroughly accessible limp sterility seen in the footage.

Americans tend to blow through phases of popular music very quickly, especially in the rap scene. Stuff that was popular 4 years ago is often seen as terminally unhip in the present. This is really exaggerated with young black people, who seem inclined to abandon anything that's been appropriated (read: decoded and understood) by the white superculture. I've noticed a very strong tendency among Europeans to keep these discarded phases of American music and fashion, YEARS after its been relegated to the wastebin over here. I'm making a huge assumption here, but this discrepancy may be adding to your confusion over why these old folks would be viewed with such scorn; this stuff may just not seem as old and out-of-touch to you as it does to us. This is a stupid tendency of ours of course, doesn't mean we're doing things "right".
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

THE KILL wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:28 am
Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:43 am Old people trying to relive their youth will forever be cringe.
Why? They gave up huge parts of their life so they could raise kids, working their asses off etc. (how much of a conscious, informed decision this is is questionable of course, but this doesn't take away from the fact that most people give up so much fun and satisfaction for a life of frustration when they "grow up" and get a career and/ or kids). Don't they deserve being goofy idiots now and again?
I'm living that. I knew what I was getting into.
Not going to be dancing to kids bob cover of rap songs that were popular when I was in highschool.
Fact #7
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

None of those people listened to that music when they were young. They're just old normal people at a city run event and the context makes "back that thing up" ok to them somehow.
If you were like a youth or weren't wearing a polo shirt and tried to play that song for them in person, they'd be like whoa this is Inappropriate young man.
anyways eba's post is better.

I guess it's worse that there are bands and citys doing that, than that old doofuses are being goofy about it.
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Yakub watches onne ~*
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:21 am I don't think anyone is calling for a mass execution or anything. From an American cultural perspective though, understand that that style of music is strongly associated with cool young black guys, and although this may sound silly those artists cultivated an image of menacing, unapproachable criminality.

Those songs are very old; add to that that the performer is editing the lyrics to provide a sanitized version of the experience, and that the band absolutely fucking sucks. It creates a very ironic and funny juxtaposition between the vital and potentially dangerous content of the original culture, against the thoroughly accessible limp sterility seen in the footage.

Americans tend to blow through phases of popular music very quickly, especially in the rap scene. Stuff that was popular 4 years ago is often seen as terminally unhip in the present. This is really exaggerated with young black people, who seem inclined to abandon anything that's been appropriated (read: decoded and understood) by the white superculture. I've noticed a very strong tendency among Europeans to keep these discarded phases of American music and fashion, YEARS after its been relegated to the wastebin over here. I'm making a huge assumption here, but this discrepancy may be adding to your confusion over why these old folks would be viewed with such scorn; this stuff may just not seem as old and out-of-touch to you as it does to us. This is a stupid tendency of ours of course, doesn't mean we're doing things "right".
Many thanks for the detailed write up! It's super interesting to hear about these types of cultural differences, which I'm sure play an important role in how we think about this stuff. I don't partake in mainstream culture much when it comes to music (don't have a TV, rarely listen to radio and quickly skip over the non-oldie radio channels when I do), but whenever I'm at some party I'm surprised at how much old/ish stuff is being played, most often a mixture of everything from the last fifty years (sometimes, when nobody is guarding the PC, I try to sneak in the Maple Leaf Rag :yerma: ), so maybe you're right when you assume that we don't have these quick succession of phases, or maybe it's just that it's not as extreme here; after all, nobody listens to Dubstep here anymore.

Still, I don't see the need to be embarrassed at all when I go to a concert by a band I mainly listened to in the 90s (granted, I'm a fucking beast in the moshpit, so no shitty dancing on my side at least), which is what I was commenting on. Obviously, whitewashing gangsta rap classics of the type in the videos should be punished by death, no need for an argument there...
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

In Gladiator, is it generally understood that when Commadus lies on top of Lucilla, and puts his head on her neck, that he doesn't rape her because he jizzes in his pants and passes out?
Fact #7
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

People can hate on AI art all they want, but that doesn't stop this from being cool shit.

David Cronenberg's Galaxy of Flesh (1985)
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

ed asner relives his glory days
Image Certified Poster
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

I don't care about Tom Verlaine.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/kodiakscandi ... autoplay=1

\m/
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Watching Puttin' on the Hits almost 40 years later feels like a fever dream.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

holy shit
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road