Stranger Things

Music posts are a bannable offense.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Stranger Things

Post by hipster holocaust »

Good Job Ross :pizza:

Fuck off Whee
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Whee's track record on this stuff is pretty good
Wank night's cancelled
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

my favorite recent post of his is:
Shin Godzilla - 4
I never would have recommended this show to whee; the way the creature stuff is handled is the antithesis of wheedom

WAIT THOUGH - thoughts on the ash v evil dead series? I feel like you might not hate that, even though there are some nu-metal effects from time to time. the second episode of the current season had some insane shit in it that I'd be surprised to be permitted in an R-rated movie...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

I watched a bit of that Evil Dead show. There are some funny non-horror bits here and there but the "sit down and scream while blood is being sprayed on me" Troma gore stuff is tiring.

What's your beef on my Shin Godzilla score? I thought it was a good premise executed terribly.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

A nice thing to say about Stranger Things: I liked how the nerd kids were actually funny looking/ugly dweebs.

I've seen too much shit where the nerd looked pretty much the same as the bullies making fun of me for drawing Godzilla and Dawn of the Dead pictures in my notebook in middle school
cranial separation

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

yeah, totally agreed on the casting; not sure if it was apparent from the first episode but the kids manage not to ruin things with typical shitty kid acting
Whee of the Dead wrote:What's your beef on my Shin Godzilla score? I thought it was a good premise executed terribly.
no beef at all! I've heard SO MANY pro-godzilla people fawning over this as some miraculous rebirth, and it was refreshing to see you piss in the punch
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Whee have you liked any form of art or media produced in the 2000s
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

let's not ignore this ringing endorsement!
Whee of the Dead wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road - 7? It was a little too Terry Gilliam playing on a Robert Rodriguez landscape for my taste but I had fun.
green room, interstellar, and hateful eight got 8s

distaste for the force awakens (4/10) was also heartwarming - I am seriously glad that at least someone out there is driven crazy by the terrible elements lurking beneath the surface of some of these ultra-safe works
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I should amend that to if he likes any art/media from post-2000 that is connected to pre-2000 art/media

I guess a 7/10 for Mad Max is an example, but Still a 7/10 is about three points lower than anyone else on Earth rated it
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

thanks Ross for swinging by and defending me against Riley's accusation that I'm some sort of contrarian edge lord.

Riley, I just prefer the older stuff for millions of different reasons. Most of all because movie's seemed a bit more sincere and less manufactured and conventional. I don't just mean that in the sense that movies are made by the money men (although that's a problem as well) it's that a lot of this shit are made by doe eyed dweebs who just want to make their surface level fanboy reincarnation of whatever dumb shit they just saw five minutes ago and are held down by basic genre tropes, no grasp of the language of cinema, modern aesthetics, and whatever typical yadda yadda yadda bullshit like a ball and chain. And even when they do try to break away from this shit it's so smugly self aware and obnoxious and forced.

I could go on about more subjective stuff like that I just prefer the more languid look of movies in a pre hyper HD world but that's me getting off trail.

My Fury Road rating/criticism is totally fair
cranial separation

Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Also was one of the very few that warrior'd for It Follows on the movie thread so that may be a good deflection
cranial separation

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Whee of the Dead wrote:My Fury Road rating/criticism is totally fair
it honestly is! as I responded to you in the movies thread:
I get what you're saying. I could totally see you being put off by some elements (and with good cause). I saw the steampunk-y cirque de soleil earlier this year and this movie reminded me of that way way way more than it should have.
my sarcastic framing was just because (like riley said) it's a movie that so many people were giddy over. I think the love is justified, but there are a few cringey elements at work there. I think you and I pick up on a lot of the same stuff, but I can shrug it off. I'm repeating myself. I sincerely enjoy the way you're practically allergic to this sort of stuff:
Whee of the Dead wrote:doe eyed dweebs who just want to make their surface level fanboy reincarnation of whatever dumb shit they just saw five minutes ago and are held down by basic genre tropes, no grasp of the language of cinema, modern aesthetics [...]
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I wouldn't call you a contrarian in the sense that you're doing it simply to be contrary, but your tastes leave you predisposed to disliking the results before you walk in the theatre, so.. why do you walk in the theatre at all ? Are you simply constantly sifting through the bathtub of shit hopefully looking for the diamond, or do you have a poop fetish ? For example, why would a guy like you go see The Force Awakens ? I knew you would strongly dislike it, and surely you knew the same, so.. do you get a gratification from being smarter and better at knowing about the language of cinema than the people making the films ?
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

My friend runs the local movie theater so I get in for free and I love movies and I'm completely down for being surprised and putting my foot in mouth when I think somethings going to be dumb and turns out to be fun (I kinda liked snowpiercer and I retracted my original neg rating for 2014 Godzilla)
I don't understand the mud slinging I'm getting though. Am I really a big cunt because I think that a 250 million dollars buck rogers meets joseph Campbell movie with laser swords and robots shouldn't suck? That Star Wars is a wonderful universe that could have hundreds of wonderful and fun adventures and you have a built in audience that'll see any and all of these movies so why not throw the dice and not just make a remake?

And I know you were taking a dig at me with the "language of cinema" thing but honestly how often do you see a movie that looks and feels just like everything else you've been seeing lately, regardless of genre or budget. Consistent battering of the same camera techniques and editing styles. Remember when you could tell the movies you liked apart with something other than "this one's tone is a bit darker" ?
cranial separation

Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

or maybe I'm just filling in for Smegma
cranial separation

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

JJ Abrams is showing you something you didn't want to see

aka art
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Necrometer wrote:JJ Abrams is showing you something you didn't want to see

aka art
did you ever get around to seeing It Follows? I remember you talking about being curious.

It's retro qualities make discussion about it relevant to this thread
cranial separation

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

it follows was bullshit :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote:it follows was bullshit :lol:

:highfive:
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

From beginning and up until that stupid beach scene It Follows was great and the only retro horror flick I'd fight for.

Clarify your resentments.
cranial separation

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

re: it follows, I enjoyed it OK but had some issues. I can see both sides. same is true of babadook but I'm on board with that movie.
it follows 6/10 good camerawork, production design, and atmosphere; shitty narrative logic and application of music. I'm reading the internet trying to find out if there's anything I missed and I just find dorks falling over themselves trying to assemble a definitive explanation for what everything represents. :wank:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
"I think IT is an STD because it's bad for you and it's passed on by fucking"
"I think IT is actually death because it's definitely coming from you and it kills you"
I actually found someone claiming that the dark haired chick with the glasses was IT all along :ax:
I think I was most irritated by the loosey goosey rules of the thing. I know that's a stupid complaint but it made me check out since it sort of turned into a random array of scenes.
Black Jacques
Sweet Lord _______

Post by Black Jacques »

Started watching this lately, really enjoying it. I've got the house to myself for a week.
Watched the first 4 episodes back to back, then went downstairs to grab a load of laundry and one of my daughter's battery-operated toys started up on its own. Almost shit me pants.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if I didn't see a Mark McKinney KitH character every time I see Dr. Brenner tho.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

hahaha, total KITH modine - great call!
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

:lol: that rules BJ
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
tipton
Soul of the Martyr

Post by tipton »

Stranger Things and Atlanta have to be the most overrated shows I can recall in quite some time. :wank: