Gear thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Re: Gear thread

Post by cxwx »

godofdeadlydeath wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:39 pm I know it's a horrible company
Ssssshhhhh, quiet. You’ll get the board sued.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Found a pretty crushing tone running a guitar through regular guitar amps and also through a bass amp with an HM2 clone hitting just the bass amp.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I assume this has to do with the intonation at the bridge mixed with a badly cut nut or wrong size strings but how exactly do you get fret buzz on a fretless bass?
Ill body
/
Ill will
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

the neck needs a tiny bit more relief
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/gr ... ct-Pre-amp

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 97670,cs:1

Used gear prices make no sense ( assuming the one in the first listing isn’t trashed )

The average going price seems to be over $50? For a plastic pedal that was $35 new about a year ago? ( I’m assuming because Ola Englund likes it) I’m just glad I bought one then, I think Godofdeadlydeath also has one.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I picked up a Behringer MS-101 (Roland SH-101 clone) a couple years ago, but I didn't end up using it much - keybed sucked and didn't have a very thick low end, as I had hoped. I ended up selling it for $150 more than I paid for it, because it had quietly gone out of production last year. Two days after it had reached the buyer, Behringer announced a new 'vastly improved' version going into production. Kinda feel bad for the guy who bought it now.

I think it's great that Behringer is making this affordable gear, since so much of the out-of-production synth stuff is completely inacce$$ible for most people... but I've found that even with the updated features, the clones are kinda impractical when I use them. With the exception of their insanely cheap pedals, I've sold more Behringer products than I've kept. I have a Model D that I think is great, but it's not what I would consider versatile. Compared to other modern synths I have, the clones feel archaic: Create a patch you like? Better take a picture of the settings.

It seems like any time a semi-famous youtuber highlights an older + affordable overlooked gem, it immediately doubles in price on the used market, which kinda defeats the purpose. But that amp modeler pedal seems like it'd be worth $50, considering the SansAmp GT2 it's based on is still fetching over $100.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Hunter wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:12 am

It seems like any time a semi-famous youtuber highlights an older + affordable overlooked gem, it immediately doubles in price on the used market, which kinda defeats the purpose.
The JHS Pedals guy addressed this because people get mad when he talks about something and it goes up in price, he feels like he’s put in a no win situation because if he talks about something that he likes and wants people to check out it immediately goes up in price, but it wasn’t a pedal people knew was good in the first place, and then the same people who want one just because JHS said it was good then get pissed at him for saying it was good.

Nothing beats the Peavey Decade hysteria after that video where Josh Homme said it was his secret weapon and a piece of shit sitting in people’s closets for 40 years that was worth $40 ends up going for thousands. Looks like it’s come down a bit but people figured out a lot of those Peavey practice amps used identical circuits. Just look at this nonsense:

https://reverb.com/p/peavey-backstage-p ... IOEALw_wcB
Ill body
/
Ill will
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Look up a Bad Monkey on ebay and reverb, lol. Digitech has been back for all of 2 weeks and stated that they have no plans for a new one, so this...
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I remember people talking about the Bad Monkey being really under rated for years but only after JHS talks about it does the price shoot up.

I wish I had bought that used DOD Big Pig distortion I saw at a pawnshop over 20 years ago.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

https://reverb.com/p/dod-grunge-fx69b?h ... rce=google

This is just fucking stupid, they must have literally made 900 thousand of these things. It’s not even the original that says “butt” and “face” it’s the B version. Some mom a guitar center was going to throw one in the trash because she though it was broken and I bought it and two beers off her for $5.
Ill body
/
Ill will
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

Here's 1 of 2 Ibanez Rg7620s I'm in the process of refinishing/rebuilding.

Imgur is such fucking trash these days I have no clue if that pic will work.

Aside from that, anyone looking to buy a Line 6 G90 wireless rack unit for a deal?
i like to dissect women
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

cxwx wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:51 pm Nothing beats the Peavey Decade hysteria after that video where Josh Homme said it was his secret weapon and a piece of shit sitting in people's closets for 40 years that was worth $40 ends up going for thousands. Looks like it's come down a bit but people figured out a lot of those Peavey practice amps used identical circuits.
And then some shit company made of course an "amp pedal" recreation of the Peavey Decade and charged $300 for it. All nonsense. Homme was just trying to make the best with what he had, the Peavey Decade was just a shitty 8" practice amp.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Krieg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:05 am
cxwx wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:51 pm Nothing beats the Peavey Decade hysteria after that video where Josh Homme said it was his secret weapon and a piece of shit sitting in people's closets for 40 years that was worth $40 ends up going for thousands. Looks like it's come down a bit but people figured out a lot of those Peavey practice amps used identical circuits.
And then some shit company made of course an "amp pedal" recreation of the Peavey Decade and charged $300 for it. All nonsense. Homme was just trying to make the best with what he had, the Peavey Decade was just a shitty 8" practice amp.
I don’t think that’s exactly correct that he was “making the best with what he had” at that point, this was post Kyuss QOTSA recordings he was referencing so not exactly millionaire status but not starving artist either. What’s really funny is if you dig around the internet you can find videos of him claiming OTHER obscure or cheap shitty amps were also his “magic secret sauce special weapons” or whatever so there maybe a bit of bullshitting/ fucking with people involved.

That TubeWorks/MosValve amp he used in Kyuss is still reasonably priced.

As far as a pedal builder making a recreation of the preamp I’m fine with that if it puts it more in reach for someone who wants to obtain that sounds ($300 sounds a bit obnoxious )

Master Effects makes recreations of the Peavey Bandit and Ampeg vh140c ( I find it weird that the Ampeg seems pretty over priced but you can still get Bandits for under $300, I guess Entombed nerds don’t have that much sway)

EDIT: they also make a clone of the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head ( Schuldiners’ amp and I think it was on some In Flames records )
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

abdominalpillaging wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:13 pm Here's 1 of 2 Ibanez Rg7620s I'm in the process of refinishing/rebuilding.

Imgur is such fucking trash these days I have no clue if that pic will work.

Aside from that, anyone looking to buy a Line 6 G90 wireless rack unit for a deal?
Pretty decent mid/high level Ibanez. Prices for that model seem to be all over the map depending on the finish.

Even cheap gear prices seems to be going through the roof. I got a used 7 string GIO back around 2020 for $210 that the seller had tossed a Seymour Duncan Pegasus in the bridge and basically in perfect condition ( they were new at the time for $200). That same model now is $250 new with stock pickups.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

cxwx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:49 am Master Effects makes recreations of the Peavey Bandit and Ampeg vh140c ( I find it weird that the Ampeg seems pretty over priced but you can still get Bandits for under $300, I guess Entombed nerds don't have that much sway)
The Peavey Bandit is special to me, it was my first "big amp", and it was the beginning of my gear soul search, and after many years and gear I circled back to it. I think I paid 100 EUR for it second hand, but it is the one with the "red line", so it is not the trve one, AFAIK.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Krieg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:54 am
cxwx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:49 am Master Effects makes recreations of the Peavey Bandit and Ampeg vh140c ( I find it weird that the Ampeg seems pretty over priced but you can still get Bandits for under $300, I guess Entombed nerds don't have that much sway)
The Peavey Bandit is special to me, it was my first "big amp", and it was the beginning of my gear soul search, and after many years and gear I circled back to it. I think I paid 100 EUR for it second hand, but it is the one with the "red line", so it is not the trve one, AFAIK.
I have the teal one. Paid about $250 used many moons ago ( I probably got ripped off lol ) I didn’t even know it was an infamous amp at the time. Just that it was really loud for a combo amp and the Scorpion speaker was supposed to have a good break up.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Did up a partscaster a couple months back, went cheap since it was my first...

Red maple body with an ebony stain finish, grungy affinity neck but it cleaned up ok, chinese/amazon loaded pickguard & hardware. Mammoth Slinky strings for the wound G. No guide holes for the screws, very satisfying crunch piercing the virgin wood. Definitely gonna have to do this again.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

That stain job looks pretty nice.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Got my old beater guitar back from a friend who had it for about five years.

I felt kind of like a dick going ham on the whammy bar of another guitar they brought over and managed to break two or three strings at once. He said he was going to restring anyways. I was kind of amazed as I’ve never managed to break that many strings at the same time.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I found a guitar center catalogue from 2003. $169 BC Rich bronze Warlocks and 30 different Crate amps.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Rusty fuzz acquired, love it on bass. And a new mic, MXL 990 Blaze (yeah I'm just gay like that), and a Boss GT-001. Second time owning the Boss, chose it over the newer GT 1000 core because it has a couple of things the Core doesn't - an XLR jack, and the laser beam effect...which is really just an extra pitch shifter with LFO, but still pretty fun.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Warpsmasher wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:25 pm Rusty fuzz acquired, love it on bass.
:tup: it’s so nasty and decayed sounding. I was able to get a similar disgusting bass sound like Nighstick using it.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Guitar Centers credit rating down graded to Caa2 which is essentially sub junk bond status. Sucks for any one who has to work there. Last few times I was in one their drum department was totally dismantled and looked like a stock room, displays ripped apart and just boxes of crap piled everywhere.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I was at Target to show my solidarity for gay rights and to buy a rake and spotted one of those needle toys that you can push your fingers or face in stuffed into the candy bars at check out and I remembered seeing people put one on their floor tom to make it sound like some 80’s drum machine patch. Not bad for ten bucks.
Ill body
/
Ill will