Uncle Ross's hippie science apothecary [ft. neckbeard travis]

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: Uncle Ross's hippie science apothecary [ft. neckbeard travis]

Post by The Bill »

White vinegar does an amazing job of cleaning furniture and upholstery.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

IF by amazing job you mean stinking up the place
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Vinegar rules for everything

Very hard water here, best descaler

Safer than bleach for many things

Vinegar is #1!
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:46 am
Geeheeb wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:01 pmI’ve never had a cavity
you can't just drop this without context - what's your secret? you don't eat ice cream? vegan floss? gargling lithium? problematic gummies? WOKE gummies?
while I may have the short of the stick as far as my genetics regarding blood pressure and arthritis, I attribute my dental health to 2.1 things:

1) good genes regarding this, although my brother has several cavities. But I never drank sugary drinks, even as a kid.
2) basic saliva pH (back when I brewed beer I had pH strips and my saliva pH was always around 6)
2b) I have been to only one dentist office for my entire life, and when the first guy retired when I was 18 I have been seeing the other guy for the last 22 years. I think his treatment style is fairly conservative so what may be a pre-cavity that needs treatment with a dentist who has a boat payment due, Dr. Day will simply monitor. Nice guy too.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Y'ALL

this is a big one - I am sorry I didn't post this earlier

the intact food hypothesis

I'm an intactivist in all senses of the word, but if I had to choose, this would be my cause

PROCESSED FOOD IS BAD FOR YOU BECAUSE THE FOOD PARTICLES ARE PULVERIZED... AND WEAPONIZED for rapid absorption

we all know that people who eat processed foods are fucked... and those who eat more intact foods (fresh fruit & vegetables) are better off

but why? is it because produce has some cool nutrients that are helping the self-righteous food snobs? seems reasonable!

BUT NO! it's the fiber... but not only the fiber. the fiber, and the structure of the food itself (iirc this is called food matrix), make non-processed foods keep you feeling full longer. if you got that, you got less cravings, and you got a better chance of avoiding brutal obesity. satiety = longevity!

you idiots already know you shouldn't be eating takis or whatever. but WHY eat something "healthy"? for nutrients? maybe you're tempted to just take a multivitamin and have some workaround? it will not work. you're doomed!

what are the pro-tips here? there aren't many shortcuts... you just need to eat less atomized nonsense.

my favorite mind-blowing study compared whole-grain cheerios (which have some fiber) to oatmeal (also fiber), with comparable macronutrient content, and the oatmeal (intact food!!!) kept people's blood sugar steadier... vs the insulin rollercoaster you get with the processed version of the essentially the same molecules

this podcast actually does a good job covering this topic. it's been a while, but I remember three sections, with the intact food stuff being covered in the third. but the first section has some echoes of this idea, too!

LMK if you have any questions. happy thriving !!! :mrgreen:

P.S. eat nuts, they keep you feeling full and will help you avoid heart disease
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

hey necrometer was just reading a similar but different thing: you need to chew hard stuff.
If you only eat processed food, you don't chew and you have a tiny weak baby jaw. Then you get crooked teeth, snoring, sleep apnea...
I've been trying to think of things that are actually hard to chew. The only thing I can think of is cliff bars lol. feel the burn.
By hard to chew i mean like bones and roots whatever.

It's a chapter in the book Breath by James Nestor. Tolerable woo IMO.
Image Certified Poster
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:lhug: :rhug:

NUTS ARE HARD TO CHEW
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

UFOs are real and they cause brain damage, and maybe only certain people can see them.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i got some silicon thingies to chew on while. I just sit at a desk at home all day anyways. Maybe I"ll grow a "chad" jaw.

brogrammer out
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

lol
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:39 pm you idiots already know you shouldn't be eating takis or whatever.
go fuck yoeursruelf
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Yeah if takis are the food matrix then I'm about to wolf down a bag of them sitting in a fancy restaurant with Agent Smith
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/dini ... husks.html

HUSKS having a moment
Victor Nevarez had tried dozens of prescription medications and powders to manage his irritable bowel syndrome, and nothing was working. Max Wittek wanted to curb his appetite without relying on drugs like Ozempic. And Rachel Conners was just looking for a way to make chewy cinnamon rolls without any gluten.

They all arrived at the same solution: psyllium husks.

In a wellness economy that revolves around colorfully packaged supplements, boutique fitness classes and celebrity-endorsed diet pills, psyllium husks may seem an unglamorous throwback. Derived from a shrub native to South Asia, where they have been used for centuries as a digestive aid, the husks look like the bedding found in a hamster cage, taste like sawdust and turn gelatinous when mixed with water.

Yet in the United States, they’ve become a hot-selling item. From 2018 to 2022, 249 new psyllium-husk products were released in the country, according to data from the market research company Mintel. Sales figures for such a splintered category are hard to come by, but a spokeswoman for the mass-market product Metamucil — essentially sweetened, orange-flavored psyllium-husk powder — said its sales have grown by double-digit percentages over the last several years.
it goes on
Dr. Pieter Cohen, an internist at Cambridge Health Alliance in Massachusetts, said psyllium husks can be helpful for constipation or diarrhea, but “it’s not a wonder drug,” he said. “Getting enough fiber is important, and the best way to do that is through real foods: fruits and vegetables,” which taste better than psyllium husks and contain other nutrients, he said.
this guy is a total piece of shit - "real foods" are expensive, they have a bunch of pointless calories bundled with the precious fiber, and you have to chew them
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

chewing is good for you!
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I do bone smashing and I yaw on a pig ear all day. Wife left me and the fucking dog keeps stealing the ear, but my head looks like PS1 graphics polygons so I think I'm winning
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Is there something more homeopathic I should be using to bone smash? I've tried a hammer and an old kettle, both work fine, but I wonder if a digeridoo or coconut would be more in tune with nature
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I'm surprised how handsome I feel after hitting myself in the head with a kettle for six months!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I can't believe I didn't flag this in the first post (where I even talked about oral hygiene!) but one of my favorite (and the most alluring) hippie conspiracy theories is that fluoride exposure fossilizes your pineal gland, basically numbing your brain and killing the creative spirit

I guess it's founded in something pretty substantial?
Antifluoride lobbyists start with the fact that fluoride is not an essential nutrient and no disease has ever been linked to a fluoride deficiency.[11] In fact, fluoride is claimed to be a cumulative poison and biologically very active even at low concentrations because it interferes with hydrogen bonding and inhibits numerous enzymes.[12] Only 50% of the daily ingested fluoride is excreted through the kidneys. The remainder accumulates in bones, the pineal gland, and other tissues. Initial studies on animals showed that fluoride accumulation in the pineal gland led to reduced melatonin production and an earlier onset of puberty. The same researcher then showed in later studies that fluoride can also accumulate to very high levels in the human pineal gland.[13]

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6309358/
Those are real-deal citations! Or are they? Two of those are not peer-reviewed? Anyway... my mind (though calcified to oblivion) remains open...

I MENTION THIS because I recently encountered some real science about a fluoride alternative:
NANO-HYDROXYAPATITE!

this video explains the stuff, and - even better - I am in love with the woman in the video. by chance I ordered the same stuff (BOKA) she says she bought. in her before/after videos (2 months / 6 months), it does kinda seem like her teeth are less translucent in the "after" pics

she says NANO-HYDROXYAPATITE seems to offer some advantages:
• more similar to your tooth material anyway
• at least as good as fluoride in preventing cavities
• helps with sensitivity
And (not said by her), I read something about how it's a less "scorched earth" approach re: the oral microbiome, and I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Also renders teeth visible to spy satellites
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

shardays big natural remedies
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

RW, as my only freind who graduated from high school - if you help me decalcify my pineal gland, I will join feminism. And vote for whatever. I'll stop having kids I swear
I literally mean it

help me
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

man I am not even convinced it's a real thing, so I am not sure I can really begin to work on fixing the problem

but yeah... no matter how much concrete evidence to the contrary, some part of me will always believe that we've all been zombified in the name of heartier teeth
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Also what's up with psyllium and lead? I'm not trying to be more retarded, I can barely function as is

I legitimately ate tons of paint chips as a baby not joke
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

dude this was not even on my radar! seems kinda scary - thank you for noting it

https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/psy ... /psyllium/
^ this is the best comparison of products out there, but the full results are paywalled
5 out of 8 were contaminated with excessive amounts of lead — as much as 11 micrograms per 5 grams of psyllium husk (22 times the daily amount permitted in California without a warning label). Lead was found in all products, but those with the least contained only 0.4 to 0.6 mcg per 5 gram serving. One product had an unusually high amount of filth in the form of insect parts.
lol filth

I think I am OK because I buy yerba prima and some reddit person said it had the least lead (so... in the "not excessive" category)
a random reddit sciene hippie wrote:ConsumerLab did a test in March of 2021 and all of them had some level of lead. Their top pick (and the brand I use) is Yerba Prima Whole Husk with the lowest level tested. The next two brands were Organic India and NOW brand.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Descartes knew. Weept

Pineal calcification happens to lots of people even without NWO tooth slime. Nicotine is a bad one from what I've read so there was no hope for me - even though I spent much of my life with well water!!

All our brains are full of fucking pesticide and plastic anyway so we'll have to breed a small population of free range non-gmo humans to win the psychic war

I think yoga helps. There's always dmt bro