Mass Shooting Mass Effect Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Re: Mass Shooting Mass Effect Thread

Post by Zerohero »

Geeheeb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:53 am Mass effect in medicine are the problems caused by the mass of something (like a hematoma or tumor) in the body, ie. a brain tumor compressing neurons, nerves, or blood vessels and causing "effect" due to its "mass".

There was a shooting at Michigan State this week and mom was there teaching piano at the time. First shooting was at 20:18 and she called us at 20:30 asking if we knew what was going on because there were lots of ambulances and police everywhere. Just then Nixle text alerts came in (we subscribe because of our jobs) about the active shooter. She had just started driving away and escaped the campus wide lockdown by a few minutes. She called later on her way home to let us know that she was home safe and that she saw police from suburban Detroit speeding past, which is at least 90 miles away. She was very rattled and hasn't really been able to sleep since then.

Another family friend was coaching on campus at the time, at one of the buildings were there were false reports of shootings.

The hospital I work at is right next to campus, but is not the level 1 trauma center for the region - so all the gun shot wound (GSW) patients go to Sparrow, which is actually just a few blocks from my house. We heard sirens coming from all directions, and helicopters over our heads until about the time that the shooter was reported to be found dead. So even if we wanted to sleep, we could not have.

Neighborhood Facebook and Nextdoor were on fire with misinformation, most of it coming from the police scanner website: multiple shooters, shooter hiding in woods right next to my neighborhood, bombs or explosive devices, other reports of shots fired.

I have a spinal injury that I don't post about, but I am not able to lift so I can't really take care of patients - I didn't get ready to go to work, but a TON of my coworkers showed up including the C-suite. Even though no GSW patients showed up we did have lots of anxiety and other patients, and few were ready to work the next day so that shift really suffered too. A week before we had a hoax active shooter call to the closest high school (Okemos), and that primed people in different ways. Many people responded to the hoax by getting ready, and that did help some people shake off the cobwebs for the trauma / code triage workflows that we follow (though we see several level 1 traumas per week), but other people thought it was another hoax which leads to some dissonance among staff.

Medical staff are all so burned out right now, so even this event were we didn't even see a single patient really takes a toll on us as an institution. Sad. Conversations about mass shootings and prevention are also pretty weird here because, just like a lot of places, there is a wide spectrum of beliefs.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a personal brush with a mass shooting here, and you want to post about it - chances are I am not alone.
one of our friends lives in our neighborhood was in the Topp store the morning of that mass shooting last summer (bUFFALO)...he was working that sat morning half day, and his office near there, just getting a coffee. My wife knew one of the victims, the older lady that use to do a little freelance writing for the Challenger (black paper) and Buffalo news.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Dang ZH, that had to be really impactful for your wife.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Curious how many years it will be until we have 'Mass Shooting Survivor Support Groups' as a regular, normalized thing in society.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Necrometer wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:20 pm my bandmate/roommate was an EMT and he was in the ER with the non-abbott victims on the night that dime died. I think vinnie paul's hefty enough for that to be considered a mass shooting.

if you think combat guns are cool your dick is an innie
guys I wrote that post thinking vinnie paul had died the same night as dime

if that were the case, there would have been no HELLYEAH

gitcher

good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I can see how you would get that confused - would anyone really expect Vinny Paul to die of heart disease?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

https://www.startribune.com/man-shot-at ... 600296856/

I don't know the people who were shot or killed, but a lot of my friends and family know them very well. What I have read (via another message board, not trad. social media) is:
No one was kicked out. The shooters showed up, thought it was a party, got their sexual advances turned down by some younger queer punks and decided to unload. August was working the bar, had sold one of them a beer, and they shot him point blank. {LATER CORRECTED to Need to correct myself and say he was not shot point blank. The shot was from a yard next door and came after buying beers then exiting the show.}

I’ve lived in minneapolis for two years and Nudieland was a newer house, and definitely one that hosted shows that younger, openly trans and gay punks felt the most comfortable at. The shooting happened about thirty minutes after my band, the last of the night’s, set. It was a typical post gig backyard hang. I jumped in a bush and august died 20 feet away from where I landed. Many are injured but mpls is as strong and supportive scene as any I have encountered. Multiple who were injured are at the gathering of the juggalos at August’s partner’s house and eating good food, having a few beers and doing wippets like true minneapolis punks. We’re all gonna make it but are beyond horrified and any donations are going to truly go to those who need them.

A younger punk that I don’t know was in critical condition and undoubtedly had their life saved by someone at the show who knew how to medically handle the situation. Everyone else is a friend (one a bandmate) or at least friendly acquaintance of mine. In so many ways, so many of us are thankful that this wasn’t worse than it could have been. Thanks for all of your kind words and thoughts right now.

{UPDATE} - The cops don’t know fucking anything and this was absolutely a random mass shooting event and no one at the show knew any of these people prior

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

That was heartbreaking and angering to read. I'm very sorry. This shit just shouldn't be real.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

:/
Image Certified Poster
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

So completely fucked.