am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Antinatalism is like one of those shows where an audience watches four celebrity judges who are watching a performer, and then at the end the judges tell the performer (and the audience) if they're good or bad. Except there's no performer and no audience. There's no camera and no show. It's just an empty stage, in an enormous empty room, and the four judges are sitting in their chairs reviewing themselves. And they give themselves a zero :lol:
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

It's obviously completely subjective and there isn't manual we can consult. Nobody can be wrong, and as always I don't mean to offend anyone here. Over the years though I've been increasingly convinced that 'right' should be based on 'life', and that our assessment of meaning and purpose should start with a teleological "I am mammal."

What should we be doing? Well, where to start. We're alive... what does life seem to do? What is our fulfillment? It's obviously not pleasure, and I will tell you that children are an act of self-sacrifice for any healthy person or culture. To borrow a phrase, they will make the highs higher but the lows much more frequent. If you're doing it right. You suffer for this, because living for yourself is a child's job that we're all supposed to outgrow.

Our post-industrial impact on the environment and nature is absolutely demonic, but it is industrial. Pointing the finger at birth/sex/family is the real nuke imho.
Eight Bit Alien

Disclaimer: I am retarded though
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

most of your arguments seem to be pragmatic/utilitarian

you could consider it from a moralistic perspective: is it ethically sound to bring something into the world if it could suffer terribly? let’s say you decide “yes, i think it’s ok because i will dedicate all my resources to make sure my kid has a generally good experience” - in practice, people do this to the detriment of other things that should be more important. like… every parent would let 1,000 other kids die before they put their kid at risk. i bring this up because it’s an ethical issue, not because it’s a utilitarian issue. i’m already a selfish enough asshole - imagine me with kids to worry about!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

Those children are indeed truly lucky not to exist.

Most people don't suffer merely by existing, just folks who turn existence first and foremost into a problem to be solved. Easy solution for folks that suffer due to that, tho: stop existing.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Brutus Frank wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:02 pm
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:06 pm That premise makes no sense dude

You asked if the nuking of japan was racist fascism and the antifaschistische weeaboo is saying no :lol:
Speaking up against racism and fascism is something that all teachers (just like every other person working for the German state) in Germany are understandably obligated to do

Are some more passionate than others?
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
postaddiction
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by postaddiction »

FVBTVS wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:29 pm every good imax or 70 mm screening of this has been sold out in my movie neighborhood
I had to buy into the earliest show on the Thursday 6 days after opening to see the 70mm IMAX (one of 2 theaters in Texas doing it, so i figured why not just make the 90 minute drive for it). I got to the location right on time but parking/finding where to go in the mall/my need to piss was a complete fiasco and i ended up missing the first 30-45 minutes. I liked how the aspect ratio would flip back and forth between 1.43:1 and 2.20:1. I'm assuming that's just an IMAX thing. I think it was worth it, i just wish i would have left the house earlier.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrometer wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:02 pm i bring this up because it’s an ethical issue, not because it’s a utilitarian issue
:confused:

hipster holocaust wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:56 am
THE KILL wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:06 pm That premise makes no sense dude

You asked if the nuking of japan was racist fascism and the antifaschistische weeaboo is saying no :lol:
Speaking up against racism and fascism is something that all teachers (just like every other person working for the German state) in Germany are understandably obligated to do

Are some more passionate than others?
https://www.dw.com/en/why-copying-the-f ... a-66311564
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Well, Merz retracted that hilariously misguided statement about cooperating with the AfD like the next day, if memory serves.

The problem I have with this entire article and the limp-wristed response of liberals and centrists to these Nazi fucks is that nobody wants to address the real reason why people have "concerns about immigration" - the effects of the last 30 years of neo-liberal ideology are starting to show, particularly with the European pension systems that are already in trouble with the demographic shift only just starting, but if we wanted to acknowledge that, much less do something about it, we'd have to actually start taxing the billionaires and corporations that fund this entire fucking charade. And so the right's doing what it's always done - redistribute wealth upwards and blame migrants, welfare recipients, trans people and anyone else who's vulnerable for the resulting decline of everyone's standard of living.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Geeheeb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:03 pm he tried to kill his professor, is that in the film?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

its in there but only in the strictest sense. its not even remotely explored or developed in the slightest. it's almost there as an easter egg or gag for the people who read the book
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:01 am its in there but only in the strictest sense. its not even remotely explored or developed in the slightest. it's almost there as an easter egg or gag for the people who read the book
I thought it was there mainly to start the theme of human pettiness and how we're clearly not emotionally equipped to have the bomb
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:29 am
Well, Merz retracted that hilariously misguided statement about cooperating with the AfD like the next day, if memory serves.

The problem I have with this entire article and the limp-wristed response of liberals and centrists to these Nazi fucks is that nobody wants to address the real reason why people have "concerns about immigration" - the effects of the last 30 years of neo-liberal ideology are starting to show, particularly with the European pension systems that are already in trouble with the demographic shift only just starting, but if we wanted to acknowledge that, much less do something about it, we'd have to actually start taxing the billionaires and corporations that fund this entire fucking charade. And so the right's doing what it's always done - redistribute wealth upwards and blame migrants, welfare recipients, trans people and anyone else who's vulnerable for the resulting decline of everyone's standard of living.
Well he had to, even the higher ups in his party made unambiguous public statements about how cooperating with the AfD was totally unacceptable. Honestly, I was a bit relieved that his irresponsible attempt was almost unanimously rejected, even by the Bavarian prime minister who, like many of his colleagues, has attempted to emulate the right's rhetoric quite often in the past.
I don't have anything to add to your analysis of the situation except maybe point out how tragic it is that people, instead of welcoming immigration and voting for upgrading our education system (this way, many of the problems you described would be solved), demonize it.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Eight Bit Alien

Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

ahahaha amazing - thank you!

stoked to check out that cumtown whatever it is, but first...

seeing this movie on monday at the 70 mm imax with my dad and some people from my lab! I would have had the strength to skip it but wanted to do right by my pops. I will be making a donation to some anti-nuke fund. call me out if I don't post proof, please.

excited for the intermittent tits. boob-strobe!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I finally saw this and I guess I appreciate the way they tackled Oppie trying to poison his tutor with the apple as a way to speed up the narrative but its pretty inaccurate vs the reality of him getting kicked out of school and I guess I probably also watched the rest of the movie.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

What convinces people to sit down and watch this movie? Everyone says "it's good", but the premise sounds so boring. Also why does it need to be on and IMAX theatre experience? It's people solving equations and having interpersonal issues?
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Its a biopic of a pretty inaccessible guy made accessible by big ol bombs
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Convincing reasons to watch: The subject is interesting and it's dramatized with many high profile actors you can point at and say "I think thats the guy/girl from ____" or "Wow, they made ______ look really old."

As for reasons to see it in IMAX : after seeing it, I can't think of any (other than most movies are better in IMAX). It's a prestige flick, not a spectacle. For what it's worth, I didn't think it was that great.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

thanks.
i got a lot of movies i want to watch someday
Image Certified Poster
godofdeadlydeath
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

It's a great movie. I thought his wife was useless until that scene in the hearing redeemed her completely. RDJ, Dehaan and Dastmalchian are so good at playing pieces of shit. And Damon and Krumholtz are great too. Murphy deserved the Oscar, so did Nolan. Glad they won.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele