am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Post by Necrometer »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:23 amOPENING THIS THREAD!!!!!!
WITH NO SURVIVORS
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

hahahahahahaha

YOU POST LIKE AN INFORMED MAN
ADMIRABLE
BUT MISTAKEN
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

I'm immune to propaganda so
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Baaah yes i was wondering what would break first
Your sincerity
OR YOUR CANDOR
Eight Bit Alien

I absolutely love TDKR and I think about it much more than the other Nolanbats. It's fucking baffling at times, and i wonder if some aspects of the story weren't somehow rushed. The political commentary in all 3 movies is something that I didn't completely begin to understand until years later... they really are 100% neocon apologism.

One thing I puzzle over which is relevant to this conversation.... Wayne has a working green energy reactor. It also has a terrible flaw that can turn it into a bat bomb. So i guess that's just supposed to be an encapsulation of the "nuclear power could save the environment, but is also a danger to our wellbeing in other ways" debate.

What the fuck does that have to do with the movie's skepticism towards lefty populism (or whatever you want to call it)? Like during the BLACK GATE PRISON speech you can clearly see Nolan views revolutionary anti-capitalist rhetoric very cynically. But like... is he saying Bernie Sanders might ESPECIALLY kill us with nuclear if given the chance?? I don't understand how those two things are welded together :lol:
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Michael Madsen was in Wargames.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien

Necrometer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:33 pm if anyone wants to instantly derail, by all means let's revisit how the batman 3 plot centered on the bad guy KILLING THE STOCK MARKET and expecting everyone to find that somehow horrifying :lol:
Ok so this is going to be pretentious and silly so I beg forgiveness preemptively.

I view the ENTIRE movie as a psychological takedown of Bane. All of his strength is borrowed, and his stated motives are false. He is still in the pit, forever, and the stuff he does is a fake lie.

He's oedipal, doing insanely destructive shit to the world around him because the only thing he understands is "help mommy hurt daddy".

In TDK, the Joker thinks he understands everything because trauma enlightened him... but he sucks compared to Batman, who went through the same thing but performes nietzchemode self-overcoming and is ubermench creating new values for the people lagging behind. If Joker is nihilistic collapse, Bane is:

Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had—power.

He is really just worshipping the injuries of mommy... at the expense of all. So while it is ridiculous to see images of the poor frightened millionaires during the riot scenes, I think the point (however misguided) is just that IRL Banes doesn't actually have a plan to help anyone. Just a contempt for extant civilization, and their own mysterious sources of wealth and influence.

I thought of this movie constantly throughout 2020, it really is weirdly prophetic.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

that makes a ton of sense and gives me some interest in revisiting the movie (especially post pandemic)

honestly after the reveal it made me uninterested in watching it a second time, but it would be fun to take it in with this framing in mind.

I'm kind of confused - did you frame bruce/joker/bane ALL through a nietzschean lens? they're all on the same landscape but end up with different outcomes? that makes sense, if that's what you meant
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

SO the oppenheimer reviews are out and none of them even mention Japan as far as I can tell... not a good look, Chris

it seems like it will be a good moviemove in general tho

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/oppenheimer
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

necrometer, what about the bombing of dresden?
Image Certified Poster
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

featherboa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:52 pm necrometer, what about the bombing of dresden?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

isnt it kinda weird to make the Oppenheimer movie now when we should be getting people on board with nuclear stuff since fossil fuels are leading us to apocalypse?

or am I a pudding brain?
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Eight Bit Alien

Holy shit the reviews are good. Im not reading extensively to avoid spoilers, but every single one opens with flowery language.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

he tried to kill his professor, is that in the film?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

only one way to find out, kevin 🤑
Whee of the Dead wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:03 pmisnt it kinda weird to make the Oppenheimer movie now when we should be getting people on board with nuclear stuff since fossil fuels are leading us to apocalypse?
yeah I hadn't even thought about that. this sort of thing is pretty rampant, though... tree-huggers hate nuclear anything with a passion
featherboa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:52 pmnecrometer, what about the bombing of dresden?
is there a fancy movie about this?
Eight Bit Alien

NO BECAUSE OF ***THEM***
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 am
Whee of the Dead wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:03 pmisnt it kinda weird to make the Oppenheimer movie now when we should be getting people on board with nuclear stuff since fossil fuels are leading us to apocalypse?
yeah I hadn't even thought about that. this sort of thing is pretty rampant, though... tree-huggers hate nuclear anything with a passion

I wonder if fossil fuel secretly bankrolled movies like The China Syndrome and all those cold war apocalypse flicks like Threads and The Day After once the word on global warming was getting out there.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Eight Bit Alien

Racist question!
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Finally saw a trailer that got me amped about this movie

Really what got me excited was confusing Robert Downey Jr. for Jeremy Irons, which makes me wonder what other kind of movie magic they have in store for me
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:59 am
Necrometer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 am

I wonder if fossil fuel secretly bankrolled movies like The China Syndrome and all those cold war apocalypse flicks like Threads and The Day After once the word on global warming was getting out there.
Just stumbled across this fact about The China Syndrome:

The March 1979 release was met with backlash from the nuclear power industry's claims of it being "sheer fiction" and a "character assassination of an entire industry". Twelve days later, the Three Mile Island nuclear accident occurred in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. While some credit the accident's timing in helping to sell tickets, the studio attempted to avoid appearing as if they were exploiting the accident, which included pulling the film from some theaters.

Modern conspiracy kooks would be shitting themselves!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 am tree-huggers hate nuclear anything with a passion
Get back to me when we've actually solved radioactive waste "disposal" (i.e. storage, actually) and when we actually start including the cost of decommissioning nuclear power plants at the end of their life cycle in projections of how economical they are.

I don't buy in to anti-nuclear hysteria at all, it's just not a sustainable model in the long-term. It actually really pissed me off when European governments suddenly wanted to get rid of their nuclear power plants after Fukushima because popular opinion had turned against them. The risk of accidents was never the reason why nuclear power isn't a good idea.

But yeah, whatever, waah waah tree huggers. I'm just glad I don't have kids.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

there's a not-producing-power plant sitting on the beach here that's going to sit here for a million years just being dangerous
Image Certified Poster
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:15 am
Necrometer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 am tree-huggers hate nuclear anything with a passion
Get back to me when we've actually solved radioactive waste "disposal" (i.e. storage, actually) and when we actually start including the cost of decommissioning nuclear power plants at the end of their life cycle in projections of how economical they are.

I don't buy in to anti-nuclear hysteria at all, it's just not a sustainable model in the long-term. It actually really pissed me off when European governments suddenly wanted to get rid of their nuclear power plants after Fukushima because popular opinion had turned against them. The risk of accidents was never the reason why nuclear power isn't a good idea.

But yeah, whatever, waah waah tree huggers. I'm just glad I don't have kids.
The state I live in was being turned into a nuclear waste dump about 20 years ago. Not sure how much better or worse it's gotten lately, I should probably look into it.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

same here on Lake Michigan, and its right next to one of my favorite places to camp :(
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road