am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Post by Necrometer »

I feel like nolan carries water for fascists and is always looking for chances to propagandize, so I'm pretty sure I know what sort of stance this movie will take

can we separate the nuke from the nukist ?

incorrect replies exclusively
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Necrometer

Re: am I a bad hippie pacifist if I pay money to see the oppenheimer moviemove

Post by Necrometer »

if anyone wants to instantly derail, by all means let's revisit how the batman 3 plot centered on the bad guy KILLING THE STOCK MARKET and expecting everyone to find that somehow horrifying :lol:
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

It's okay to watch IF AND ONLY IF you're doing so to contribute to age gap discourse
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

pirate it
Image Certified Poster
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I think you need see it on weed to negate the fascism. Nothing fucks with a purified aura - unless you got the jab, then all bets are off.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

hunter and I watched trinity and beyond while zonked about 15 years ago - can confirm
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

what's a moviemove
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I got nothing
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

you guys really think it's 3 hr pro-atom bomb movie? 🤭

i honestly don't really even like him all that much but i think he at least tried to wrestle with the morality of the endeavor (to the best of his ability)
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

"Just asking questions", fvntvs???
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Ross, I disagree with a lot of stuff you say here but in 20 years that's never made me less eager to read it. Go see the damn movie if you want to.
Eight Bit Alien

Also i absolutely cannot tell what's a joke anymore :lol:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:33 pmIt's okay to watch IF AND ONLY IF you're doing so to contribute to age gap discourse
actors' age gap is 20 years, 2x the gap of the IRL people. this clearly warrants further investigation :cheers:
FVBTVS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:38 pmyou guys really think it's 3 hr pro-atom bomb movie? 🤭
I think it will have the sheen of moral gravity through some horseshit trolley problem lens, but deep down I feel like this WAS an act of racisn terrorism and I don't think there will be a shred of that in the movie. I also severely doubt it's going to humanize the victims the way a how-you-say stephen spielbergo might do for a bunch of holocaust ppl
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:43 pmAlso i absolutely cannot tell what's a joke anymore :lol:
my feelings about this are serious but I really wish they'd go away. hence the jokey thread? I know it's silly to feel this way. I'm annoyed at myself for how many times this sort of thought has popped into my head. I think way way way too many movies pretend to be anti-war (via showing the horrors of battle) but actually glorify the whole affair and never tackle the fundamental grossness of humanity that is ultimately responsible for war.

now I'm getting all worked up about how the US sat on their hands while SUPPOSED SUPER VILLAIN hitler was running riot thru europe, but then quickly mustered up the mana to nuke a bunch of asian civilians once they were presented with the flimsiest of excuses

this thread might be more poison than cure for me. maybe MPD will post :brokenheart:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

First of all: wait what, Nolan is considered a fascist by some people? How did that come about...
Necrometer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:19 pm I think it will have the sheen of moral gravity through some horseshit trolley problem lens, but deep down I feel like this WAS an act of racisn terrorism and I don't think there will be a shred of that in the movie. I also severely doubt it's going to humanize the victims the way a how-you-say stephen spielbergo might do for a bunch of holocaust ppl
According to the history of Japan podcast (produced by Isaac Meyer, who has a PHD in history and focuses on "the relationship between the military and society in East Asia" - it's my favourite podcast, and it's been my impression that the guy always presents a fair and balanced perspective), bombing cities/ civilians was the normal and accepted thing to do in wars; the US didn't think the atomic bomb was in any way special, in their eyes, it was just a very big bomb. When I was in Japan, I visited both the Hiroshima and the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb museums, both were expectedly depressing places, and they both had the stance that using the Atomic Bomb didn't serve a military goal, but rather had to be used due to purely political reasons - which, according to Meyer, was simply not the case: the old argument that says that if the Japanese Empire hadn't surrendered, the US army would have had to invade the main islands and suffer a very high number of casualties (add to that the number of Japanese casualties - the US was convinced that the Japanese would fight to the last man before surrendering - and the number of overall casualties would have indeed been a lot higher than the number of people who died from the atomic bombs) is true. I have no doubt there were more factors involved, some of which were surely political, and yeah I'm not a historian myself, but all the evidence he presented sounded very convincing at least to me. Please note I'm not saying that using the atomic bomb was justifiable, but it's certainly not the case that it's as easy as saying "the Americans were racists and saw the Japanese population as expendable". It's certainly a very complex topic, and if you have any interesting sources on it, I'd be really eager to learn more from them.

One more thing: why should any director treat the Holocaust (when a deeply racist and fascist state committed genocide and possibly the worst crime humanity has ever committed) and the bombing of two Japanese cities (in which the citizens of a deeply racist and fascist state that had started the war they found themselves in were killed) treat the same? As a German, I'm not too fond of equating the two; every year, German neonazis organize rallies in Dresden, the goal of which is to equate the firebombing of Dresden in WW2 and the holocaust and thereby downplay the Holocaust. It's an integral part of nazi propaganda.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

MANY of my favorite movies are some variation on libertarian fantasies or fascistic propaganda. All those cop interrogation scenes where the bad guy is being tortured for information? Not good! Bruce Wayne could invest some of his insane wealth into social programs and have a bigger impact on crime in Gotham. There's a ton of examples that make me feel like a hypocrite for enjoying, but I guess I just dismiss it as lizard brain shit. Human condition.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

And you might want to read up on WW2 again, this summary is 90% nonsense...
Necrometer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:19 pm now I'm getting all worked up about how the US sat on their hands while SUPPOSED SUPER VILLAIN hitler was running riot thru europe, but then quickly mustered up the mana to nuke a bunch of asian civilians once they were presented with the flimsiest of excuses
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Eight Bit Alien

I think y'all maybe are carrying water for a troll thread
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Still gonna watch the Barbie movie and not this fuckin nonsense......
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i bet they'll put in that i am become death quote
Image Certified Poster
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

YOU THINK

my babrie tix are purchased with good clean 2nd-wave feminist corporate bux

I'll talk about the nukes some more after the kill elaborates on what heroic actions USA took in WWII pre-PH
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

remember that oppenheimer audio being used to hype up an impending godzilla movie

that shit was sick as hell
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

Necrometer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:29 am I'll talk about the nukes some more after the kill elaborates on what heroic actions USA took in WWII pre-PH
:lol: you are not going to trick me with this shit, I don't believe that this is your take on ww2
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:awesome: it truly is - there are receipts
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:57 amremember that oppenheimer audio being used to hype up an impending godzilla movie

that shit was sick as hell
some of the finest blueballing in recent cinema
Eight Bit Alien

R, you are absolutely a genius level intelligence. You will always have my respect and admiration as a thinker.

However we as a group must never ever fail to remind you that you are a MONOLITH of eccentricity :lol: