FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by FVBTVS »

playing doom and listening to aphex twin :pizza:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Hahaha what album
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

featherboa wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:25 am fuck yeah i love
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:42 pm Hahaha what album

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

cxwx wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:28 pm
featherboa wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:25 am fuck yeah i love

Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Guys for the love of god

Play dragon sector the remake
Linked on first page

Fucking jesus christ
Eight Bit Alien

I have a few more links to drop here.
Ive been a busy boy
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i want to get more into these but i'm hitting a slight mental wall with my m&k fluidity, i feel really rigid and tense and haven't figured out a controller yet so i keep playing on my xbox. console peasant problems

should i get a pain elemental tattoo

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:15 pm Guys for the love of god

Play dragon sector the remake
Linked on first page

Fucking jesus christ
I tried that Call of DOOM mod. Eh! It doesn’t have normal health pick ups. I’ll stick to Project Brutality, BUT I kind of want to beat regular old DOOM II with it. I’ve beaten DOOM 1 a hundred times, but haven’t beat DOOM II since 2001 or so.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Huh? Project Brutality won’t load suddenly. Guess I’ll delete everything and do a clean install on the SSD drive.
I don’t know.
Eight Bit Alien

this is so fucking interesting
the talented lady in this match was named BahdKo. She was a canadian person who was really really obsessed with Doom, and the competitive scene, in the mid fucking 90s when that was a totally obscure thing to obsess over. She made a whole big website with personal psychological/playstyle profiles of every DOOMer

https://www.doom2.net/index.html - main page
https://www.doom2.net/doom2/lmps.html - old demos (literally just little text files that record keystrokes for playback later)
https://www.doom2.net/doom2/lanparties.html - pictures of when she flew all over the fucking world and took pictures of people at LAN parties
https://www.doom2.net/bahdko/players.html - profiles of all the players. This is a fascinating thing to do, from a psychological perspective. They read almost as diary entries just as much as useful game information.

What a time capsule!
Eight Bit Alien

this baby is probably like 25 years old now
Eight Bit Alien

Gonna write a few new entries for my doom diary today

Played through a few levels by this guy Tormentor667, who's some kind of doom god. They're not total overhauls of the game, more like mostly-vanilla maps with absolutely master-class architecture. I've learned that this guy is responsible for making a lot of the new monsters that appear in other cool new maps. The WADs called Austerity and The Refinery in particular were spectacular, very atmospheric. The music was really cool, had a European denoscene kinda vibe that made me feel like I was on the ancient internet in 2002, knowing secrets that ultra-hackers use to steal music and program Amiga games.

https://www.realm667.com/en/

This guy also made a really, really interesting mod called Wolfenstein Blade of Agony. It's a mega mega overhaul of Doom, really a totally new game with cutscenes, money and stealth stuff. As much as I love killing nazis who have paranormal secrets, I found it super difficult and much more oriented towards slow sneaks... while lately I have been in the mood for extreme goregrind shotgun demon-core combat.

Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:52 pm Huh? Project Brutality won’t load suddenly. Guess I’ll delete everything and do a clean install on the SSD drive.
I don’t know.
Maybe you're trying to use it on a mod/wad that isn't compatible???
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Even on an SSD space isn't really so much at a premium why don't you have multiple install directories for some of the more "sensitive" mod files?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Eight Bit Alien

This shit was good too. Its one of these things where the devs have posted all kinds of content making the game seen long, but then you find out none of that has been released and only a 20 minute demo is available. Certainly no shade on them but it is odd how often you find that these days, especially when they make cinematic promo movies and tie-in prequels... in my mind that stuff might not work to build sustained hype if the release date is some ambiguous floating point in the future. I admire it all of course, but it is an odd tendency I notice in video games.

The demo had awesome sounds, and the final battle really satisfied my odd desire for large-scale battle wars inside the doom engine. All my guys died. I always reload a bunch of times to try to save my guys in games, but they all die every time.
Eight Bit Alien

Geeheeb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:31 am Even on an SSD space isn't really so much at a premium why don't you have multiple install directories for some of the more "sensitive" mod files?
Thats what i do. I think conflicts are rare though.
One thing that is annoying is that multiple gzdoom executables all seem to use the same settings file (INI type guy) which can fuck things up sometimes. I frequently make backups of that file and then delete the main one, so that a virginal copy will be created when i reopen the program.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I had to change from Vulcan to OpenGL because ????

Now Project Brutality will load, but not after a long load time. I don’t get it, this all just suddenly happened. Maybe Starfield raped my PC and its has STDs now.
Eight Bit Alien

The sudden change is odd.
PB takes a looong time to load for me, too. Now that you mention it, it wasn't always that way. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm suspicious
Eight Bit Alien

I've always used opengl though, i think most mods don't have a preference but many demand it?? I think its the doom default, could be wrong though

I also dont actually know what any of that shit is beyond a setting i have to toggle in fucking video game menus
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It’s seems fine now after switching to OpenGL and click different options back and forty, but I don’t think I actually changed anything. There was also a nVidia update, but that can’t be it.

Anyhow, Project Brutality + DOOM II + HD Texture Pack + DOOM Eternal Soundtrack pk3 = The Bill getting fucked up the ass by level 3. I’ve never died on level 3 EVER before.

I feel like Marv from Sin City, all bandaged up, yelling about the old days, the bad days, how its’s blood for blood. Nu-Lara Croft is telling me to calm down and take my medication.
Eight Bit Alien

Amazing!!!!
Eight Bit Alien

Im going to the shore for a week with my family. I tried again last night to aet up DOOM mods on a portable device. Russian build of brutal doom for switch was an improvement but still unplayable for me. Tried DUSK and it's okay, but the princess still feels the pea. Goldilocks knows that the super shotgun feels just right, and this other thing makes her homesick

I should use this as an opportunity to take a break. I should be making sure i have my autistic son's doctor's number written down. I should be getting a new suitcase so i can stop using a trashbag on every vacation. I'm only sleeping about 5 1/2 hours a night. I only think about Doom. I spent my lunch break reading wikipedia articles about Id Software.

I don't know where this came from. It's been a few weeks now.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

that was you 6696th post :invcross:

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I thought I posted about it, but that Blade of Agony is really good. I played some a few years back.

DOOM II Project Brutality is bad fucking ass. Especially now I’m getting new tier weapons.

Flamethrower can take out a Cyberdemon pretty fast if you can get close to it.