EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Finally took a look at SCYTHE, using Brutal Doom. Very creative and i see why it has such a good reputation. Extremely hard with BD on a higher difficulty setting, though. These doomboys are really fond of "slaughter" scenarios where 400 monsters attack at once. I really enjoy moments like that, but i think they shouldn't happen frequently in sequence right after one another. It kinda sucks because the first bunch of levels in Scythe weren't like that, and now i kinda feel bad for losing interest.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

FUCK. Vern'd
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:42 pm Finally took a look at SCYTHE, using Brutal Doom. Very creative and i see why it has such a good reputation. Extremely hard with BD on a higher difficulty setting, though. These doomboys are really fond of "slaughter" scenarios where 400 monsters attack at once. I really enjoy moments like that, but i think they shouldn't happen frequently in sequence right after one another. It kinda sucks because the first bunch of levels in Scythe weren't like that, and now i kinda feel bad for losing interest.
When it comes to the slaughter maps, I think Meat Grinder is the way to go if you aren’t going to do vanilla.

Eight Bit Alien

I tried meatgrinder for like 40 seconds, but need to give it a more substantial try. The videos look cool as fuck!

this guy is still doing his thing, I dunno why I find him so charming hahaha
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I tried Brutal DOOM 64 version 2.666, and I might be in love. The game was always fine with me, but this is so much better. The changes, additions, and ultra violence is wonderful. You know what it feels like? Like a 1980’s Italian horror film. Argento and Fulci do DOOM.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Not really been DOOMing, but these might be for later, especially the circus levels:

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Haven’t DOOMed at all recently but I did try the above post’s Circus level pack and it is good, of what I played (Brutal Doom), but like a lot of the shit I try I got my ovaries handed to me. I really think I need to buckle down and beat DOOM II proper with Brutal Doom to get the hang of Revenants and Mancubus. And friggin’ crowd control, ‘cause the imps gave me hell.

Anyhow, there’s two in this video (Headless Chicken & Autumn Harvest) that I’ll collect for later:

cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Has anyone played "The Plutonia Experiment"? I guess it's the hardest official Doom wad. I've watched a play through of it and it looks ridiculous.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien

I played through it last month... albeit with Project Brutality, which changes up the difficulty both - and +. If you save and reload liberally you can pretty much get through anything tho.
It's pretty crazy, very clever. Enjoyed it a lot, much more than the other official episodes I played. Felt more like 'arcade' type levels, short and often employing wacky gimmicks that are fun.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I played Doom on the 32X.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:42 pm Haven’t DOOMed at all recently but I did try the above post’s Circus level pack and it is good, of what I played (Brutal Doom), but like a lot of the shit I try I got my ovaries handed to me. I really think I need to buckle down and beat DOOM II proper with Brutal Doom to get the hang of Revenants and Mancubus. And friggin’ crowd control, ‘cause the imps gave me hell.

Anyhow, there’s two in this video (Headless Chicken & Autumn Harvest) that I’ll collect for later:

I will check out this vid man thanks. I've been taking a bit of a break because I lost like four months of productivity to DOOM obsession, it was getting weird. Not quit totally but just not playing every night.

I will probably jump back in 1000% when the new Brutal Doom update drops!!
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I also had Cosmic Carnage which kind of sucked, but I still played the shit out of it. 32X Space Harrier was awesome though. A near perfect arcade port.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

cxwx wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:58 pm Has anyone played "The Plutonia Experiment"? I guess it's the hardest official Doom wad. I've watched a play through of it and it looks ridiculous.
No, nor have I played TNT, No Rest for the Wicked, and never finished Sigil. Honestly, a lot of fan made wads just seem more interesting and visually superior to the official maps.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Happy 30th Birthday to DOOM.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2023/

Also, Sigil 2 was released. Eh, Sigil 1 is good at first but it wears its gimmick a little too proudly, and things get annoying pretty quick. If tight places and ledges is your cup of tea, have at it. Not for me.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien

That was cool, and pretty much exactly how i remember 1989-1995

Ill definitely give Sigil 2 a shot at some point but the first one did leave me a little cold. Cool fucking ideas for the levels and all, just not the most fun I had with a DOOM wad ya know
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:03 am That was cool, and pretty much exactly how i remember 1989-1995

Ill definitely give Sigil 2 a shot at some point but the first one did leave me a little cold. Cool fucking ideas for the levels and all, just not the most fun I had with a DOOM wad ya know
I saw a clip of Sigil 2, and my skills aren’t there, yet. But still, the narrow ledges and all that, not feeling the gimmick. Seems real cheap. Hey, play Street Fighter 2, but now you can’t jump or block.
Eight Bit Alien

HORDE MODE
Eight Bit Alien

SNARF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:38 pm
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:37 pm Snarf
:shock:
:lol: :lol: i missed this
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

We were talking DOOM on Christmas.
Eight Bit Alien

Dont really understand tbh
Eight Bit Alien

goddamit

i got the new brutal doom update and now im going through extermination day again

i cant do this shit. i cant handle it. i dont know why this is such a brutal fucking drug to me

im so fucking wired now.

demon mode
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

My big ideas to play all these DOOM mods have pretty much flushed away, but Brutal Voxel DOOM has my attention.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Brutal Voxel Doom is kind of blah. The voxels are cool in theory but much uglier than the 2.5 sprites. Plus, this is Brutal DOOM lite at best. The weapons are fine, but the enemies are basically French vanilla, and not luxurious Belgium dark chocolate like real Brutal DOOM or Project Brutality. Forget about the blood and gore, it’s lagging behind shit like Call of Duty, never mind a “brutal” mod.

I tried the newest Brutal DOOM release. Nice as always, but might be little too rough on my PC.