EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

The Bill wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:15 pm
Anyhow, Project Brutality + DOOM II + HD Texture Pack + DOOM Eternal Soundtrack pk3 = The Bill getting fucked up the ass by level 3. I’ve never died on level 3 EVER before.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/relighting/d ... g-v4-0165b

throw this bad boy in there!!
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:00 pm
Anyhow, Project Brutality + DOOM II + HD Texture Pack + DOOM Eternal Soundtrack pk3 = The Bill getting fucked up the ass by level 3. I’ve never died on level 3 EVER before.

Interesting. I run the game at 4K with one billion particle, and blood chunks and bullet shells and decals. I hope it doesn’t tank my PC.

I have to tell you the bullet shell and decal thing is awesome. As you backtrack you’ll see a sight that looks like it could have came out of the scene in Predator where the commando just fire thousands of bullets into the jungle.

Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

this is real and you can play it
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:00 pm

This didn’t end well.

I tried for a few levels and did not like. It’s pretty ugly and started lagging my PC in a few places. I deleted the mod and found that GZDoom demanded it to continue from my save points. Nope!

I tried Project Brutality with a megawad called Going Down. It was one of the greatest things I’ve played in years. Sigh, unfortunately, due to ???, the door opening scripting bugged out and I couldn’t continue. I even checked a walkthrough for sanities sake.

I tried a few other megawads but they weren’t clicking. I think there names are something like: Sunshine, Doom 2 Reborn, Alien something. Doom the way iD Did, Satan something, there were another 2. They were all highly rated on multiple websites. Eh?

So, I tried Sigil with PB. Was good so far but man, is it confined feeling. What’s with the claustrophobic level design, especially the roof.

I decided to go back to DOOM 1 again, but adjusted the tier system to know it has 9 levels to work with. Game of the Year!
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Ha, Project Brutality’s Quake nail gun is ridiculous, it has like 4 on the fly weapon modes.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

So, after episode 3 is an episode I never played before (Doom 1) and Sigil is actually, unofficially, episode 5.

May have to do that, indeed.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

That is a fucking abomination.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I don't see any mention of organoids though. She might be wrong

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

That rat will never beat the Cyberdemon, even if he save scums. Fuck you, ratso.
Eight Bit Alien

I've been slacking on this thread. My DOOM mania is cooling off a little but I still have a bunch of stuff to report on. I'm honestly losing track of what I've played.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:27 pm I've been slacking on this thread. My DOOM mania is cooling off a little but I still have a bunch of stuff to report on. I'm honestly losing track of what I've played.
Yeah, I beat Doom 1 properly and tried starting this elusive 4th episode and my interests kind of hit a wall.

Project Brutality has been my GOTY, but I binge drank it, now I’m getting sleepy.

This is kind of cool, though:

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

kind of?!

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:33 pmkind of?!
‘Kind of’ is passive aggressive for I need to try that shit, today.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eh, that jackass doesn’t exactly show how to get Doom to be THAT. I tried some things and nothing came close.

Also, that lighting mod can be wonderful sometimes but it’s brutal on my PC. I’m really starting to feel more PC’s age lately.

There’s even a Doom II level remaster/remix pack that’s awesome but is tanking my frames.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

New version of GZDOOM’s stable release is wonderful. Solid frame rates on shit that used to tank my computer previously. I can run that DOOM II remixes Mao pack with PB now.
Eight Bit Alien

Ill take a look! I found a really interesting, gigantic art-type map that absolutely crashes modern ports for some reason.
I really ought to continue my blog here, i haven't stopped playing even for a second.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I got that lighting mod to work better. Nice shiny floors. After detailed, none blurry or pixelated textures, shiny floors are my favorite.

I like lots of blood as well.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:57 pm EXTERMINATION DAY

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0xh1nsvw ... 6.zip/file

This is a full, 3-act campaign designed by the guy who made Brutal Doom. It has voice acting and fucking crazy shit!
It's got some of the craziest, most surprising fucking set-pieces imaginable; every little fucking detail and feature bleeds pure evil joy.
It's described as a remake of Doom 1 and 2, meaning that if you took the plot to both games and re-imagined how the levels would look given the modifications of Brutal Doom, you'd wind up with this.

The second chapter where you fight on Earth, with an army of Marines, against Hell... absolutely should not be missed.
I'm still working my way through Chapter 3, and although it's unbelievably hard I'm determined to complete the experience.

Going back to this…. did you play this with a project Brutality, or Brutal Doom? I’m assuming you need Brutal Doom as not to break any scripts.
Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:40 pm Going back to this…. did you play this with a project Brutality, or Brutal Doom? I’m assuming you need Brutal Doom as not to break any scripts.
Project Brutality! It was a fucking incredible experience, last night I was considering going back to do it again.
Almost nothing was broken, as far as I could tell. I would assume that the PB devs considered compatibility with Extermination Day a priority. The thing that was absolutely broken were the usable turrets in episode 2... fatal crash which was kinda sad, but definitely not a dealbreaker. I could honestly imagine not even noticing they were there.
Extermination Day is a great thing to playthrough with PB, because you get real progression with the crazy new weapons and all their upgrades. A lot of WADS I've played through with PB, you only really wind up with the same few basic weapons and almost never find upgrades. Part of this has to do with the length of the WAD I guess, but there's some deeper underlying mechanic that I can't ever quite figure out. It's disappointing in a way, it's like half the great shit in the mod never gets seen unless you use stupid console commands.
Eight Bit Alien

https://www.moddb.com/mods/recurring-ni ... -demo-beta

This seems like it's been pushed out into obscurity, since I guess it was never finished. It's a remake of Doom episode 1, but done by Sgt Mk IV, same guy who made Brutal Doom and Extermination Day. I think this guy is the best WAD author of all time - I can't explain how fucking fun it was to play through this, using Brutal Doom. His sense of design and his ability to make "moments" using nothing but goofy DOOM assets and his own mod mechanics is unparalleled. I enjoyed this very, very much and I'd put it in the top 5 wads I've played so far. I think Project Brutality is the mod to use for these maps, 100%.
Eight Bit Alien

He keeps saying it's "unfinished" but the only bug I encountered was that the music got stuck on every level - I'd wind up hearing the "end screen" song on every level which did suck. I figured out you can use console commands to change the song manually which worked out quite nicely.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:06 am
The Bill wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:40 pm Going back to this…. did you play this with a project Brutality, or Brutal Doom? I’m assuming you need Brutal Doom as not to break any scripts.
Project Brutality! It was a fucking incredible experience, last night I was considering going back to do it again.
Almost nothing was broken, as far as I could tell. I would assume that the PB devs considered compatibility with Extermination Day a priority. The thing that was absolutely broken were the usable turrets in episode 2... fatal crash which was kinda sad, but definitely not a dealbreaker. I could honestly imagine not even noticing they were there.
Extermination Day is a great thing to playthrough with PB, because you get real progression with the crazy new weapons and all their upgrades. A lot of WADS I've played through with PB, you only really wind up with the same few basic weapons and almost never find upgrades. Part of this has to do with the length of the WAD I guess, but there's some deeper underlying mechanic that I can't ever quite figure out. It's disappointing in a way, it's like half the great shit in the mod never gets seen unless you use stupid console commands.
You know you can set how fast and often you get new weapons under the Project Brutality options. Under spawns (???), move the “how many levels” slider to a little under the wad’s amount. For instance, Doom II had 32 levels, so set it to 29.

I selected an option under GZDOOM’s regular settings to spawn in multiplayer items, just to see. First level of DOOM II gave me the BFG…. I’m not complaining.