Rate the last stand-up special you've watched

Music posts are a bannable offense.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Rate the last stand-up special you've watched

Post by ghost boner »

I figure we should have a place to talk about these as they probably slip through the cracks in the movie and TV threads. Anyway,

Zainab Johnson: hijabs off - 6.5/10. I saw her live once and she ruled but this was nothing special

Shane gillis: beautiful dogs - 9/10. The first ten minutes alone had me fucking dying. Best special I've seen since Billy Wayne davis' last one
formerly ghost boner
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Re: Rate the last stand-up special you've watched

Post by Hunter »

Nate Bargatze's Hello World (on Amazon Prime) - 8/10 - I remain highly skeptical of anything that's noted as "clean comedy," but this special is surprisingly solid. Easily the best clean material I've heard in quite a while.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Jimmy Carr, His Dark Material - 8.5/10

It's Jimmy Carr

Pete Holmes, I Am Not For Everyone - 8/10

When he's got clunkers they clunk but when he's talking about fuckin somebody's daughter it's a winner
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

yeah that pete holmes was pretty good i forgot i watched that one. the old timey basketball bit destroys
formerly ghost boner
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Joe Pera: Slow & Steady - 7.5/10
Ripped the audio track from youtube and listened to it believing he was an old man, which made it a bit more hilarious than it actually is, the guy's younger than I am. Anyway, couple of good zingers in there.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

ghost boner wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:33 pm Shane gillis: beautiful dogs - 9/10. The first ten minutes alone had me fucking dying. Best special I've seen since Billy Wayne davis' last one
I need to watch this again because it hit me kinda weird. His first special came out of nowhere, didn't know who he was. Instant 10/10 for me, like easily one of the top 5 specials I've ever seen. I rewatched it 4 or 5 times, which i never do.

I think my expectations were so high that is skewed my experience of the new one. I definitely liked it but it was like a warm 7, which must be wrong. I must have been broken that night

I also thought it was a little weird that he was reusing material from the first special??!!
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

I never heard of him before my cousin recommended that special so I didn't know jokes were reused but that blows cause now I wanna watch everything he has

Anthony jeselnik: Caligula - 8/10. Seen him a few times live lately and he's absolutely destroyed so I'm going back watching older stuff I haven't seen and it's definitely weird to see him smile/chuckle now that he's got that stoic look down solid
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I’ll catch a little standup if the Mrs. is watching them on the Netflix as I mosey around the house. The female stand ups friggin’ stink!
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

nikki glaser, sarah silverman, jen kirkman, whitney cummings, kim congdon, and plenty more all slay dude. if you havent seen sarah silverman: jesus is magic CHANGE THAT NOW
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Wisdom. Bonnie McFarlane and Roseanne Barr are hall of fame heavyweights too.

Her career is a mixed bag overall, but Maria Bamford is in my top 5 alltime. She is a real artist like louis and patrice imho

In defense of the bill i do think there's an ecosystem of absolute fucking dogshit netflix standup and all the broads there are probably horrifically shitty. I dont even fucking bother looking at netflix anymore unless its someone
I already like
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

I like Maria Bamford. She reminds me of every adult i knew who grew up repeatedly molested, tho
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I’m talking about these Netflix broads she’s watched. And, no, I’m not going out of my way to see a chick do standup.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

The Bill wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:40 pm I’m talking about these Netflix broads she’s watched. And, no, I’m not going out of my way to see a chick do standup.
She's pretty fucking funny, tho
Eight Bit Alien

Brutus Frank wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:40 pm I like Maria Bamford. She reminds me of every adult i knew who grew up repeatedly molested, tho
I don't remember exactly but I believe she described herself as having been "gingerly molested" in Bonnie McFarlane's documentary :lol:
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:46 pm
Brutus Frank wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:40 pm I like Maria Bamford. She reminds me of every adult i knew who grew up repeatedly molested, tho
I don't remember exactly but I believe she described herself as having been "gingerly molested" in Bonnie McFarlane's documentary :lol:
Goddammit id prefer I was wrong
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

I never really got into Maria Bamford. Give me a good place to start. Also I just remembered Whitney Cummings was on my flight the other day and I stood next to her at bag claim but I was violently hungover and therefor did not say anything to her
formerly ghost boner
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

The last Maria Bamford special I watched was a set she did in her parents living room, and that was a few years back - and it's bizarre (good). Since then, she's been doing shows for individual people who request them *in-person* and then pays them for their time. I think that's her way of workshopping material. I need to see "Weakness is the Brand."
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

any good michael rapaport sets?
Image Certified Poster
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:53 am The last Maria Bamford special I watched was a set she did in her parents living room
i put this on and went back to work on the computer and it's impossible to keep up with.

IN FOR LATER
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien

Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:53 am The last Maria Bamford special I watched was a set she did in her parents living room, and that was a few years back - and it's bizarre (good). Since then, she's been doing shows for individual people who request them *in-person* and then pays them for their time. I think that's her way of workshopping material. I need to see "Weakness is the Brand."
She is a completely magical human. Just from another place
Eight Bit Alien

ghost boner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:06 am I never really got into Maria Bamford. Give me a good place to start. Also I just remembered Whitney Cummings was on my flight the other day and I stood next to her at bag claim but I was violently hungover and therefor did not say anything to her
Verno, try to find THE MARIA BAMFORD SHOW - its a series of like 36 short clips she did for a defunct website years ago. She had a mental breakdown and went back to live with her parents, and while locked in her bedroom she made an entire tv show where she played every character. Its fucking weird and once it gets going quite funny

Her standup is a bit of a mixed bag imho, he main thing is these "voices" she does, imitating people in her life like mom, dad, sister. It sounds lame but somewhere in there she found something really special, and i think that web series was the best showcase.

She had a netflix show that i was excited about but it turned out to just be her hanging out with some fat freind, which is the downfall of so many funny broads in my experience
Eight Bit Alien

And of COURSE you had that experience. Of course you did :lol:
Eight Bit Alien

I'm going to try hard not to abuse this thread but I'm telling you brothers, I may fail
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Blow this thread up man. I need new shit. Will defo check out some Bamford soon!
formerly ghost boner
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I saw Pete Holmes live "with Surprise Guest!" at Largo the Cornet when I went to LA a few years back. He had a solid set, good times all around... and then he brought out his guest: Bill Burr! "Hell yeah, what a stroke of luck" I thought. Bill started out with a disclaimer about how he's there to workshop new material. "Oooh, I get to witness the process of A MASTER! VERY COOL" I thought.

Mr. Burr proceeded to bomb in a way I didn't think was possible for an all-time-great. I mean, it's impossible to even consider, right? I've seen him turn an actively booing crowd to his side - a modern day 20th level comedy wizard. Well, his jokes weren't very funny, to be completely honest. He had a bit about how his friends shamed him for staying at a Trump Hotel - and how much he loved his stay there. "Trump may be a terrible president, but he's great at hospitality - he knows how to run a hotel! They should just let him do that, and that's all he should be able to do." I mean, it's not exactly a great premise - I think he was trying to pull the old switcheroo, which is his forte. He stuck on that for around half of his set, trying to find that parts that would work... occasionally making comments about how the crowd was super liberal and he should have expected that in LA. Part of me is happy to have seen something like that, as I have to imagine it's a rarity.