Music posts are a bannable offense.

Punokins

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 14

Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Smashing Pumpkins

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Been listening to their initial run of albums once a day all week. This stuff was the soundtrack to middle school for me, but I kinda left it behind for a long time. Revisiting it with more trained ears has been quite an experience. Corgan was a motherfucker guitarist and songwriter.

They seem to divide opinion - i remember a bunch of people here pretty much hating Billy, which I get. It seems like millennials like them and gen x are more divided??

I am so fucking bored these days :lol:
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: Smashing Pumpkins

Post by The Bill »

Corgan owns, runs, and operates a pro-wrestling organization. And I guess it aired on the CW.

https://www.nationalwrestlingalliance.com/
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

You just now learned that? You're slipping The Bill.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i really only took to listening to them for the first time in 2020 through old live shows and the first couple albums. chamberlin is fucking awesome. i couldnt get through that double album even though it has some bangers on it
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

cxwx wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:33 pm You just now learned that? You're slipping The Bill.
Whaaaa??!

I was thus informing The James
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

NO
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I saw Smashing Pumpkins on tour with Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam in 1991. It was nearly 2 years before Siamese Dream would come out and at least 3 months before RHCP's Under The Bridge started playing non-stop on MTV (and I think Smells Like Teen Spirit started getting rotation). No one had heard of the opening band at all... some act called Pearl Jam. Anyway, SP was really disappointing (I liked Gish at the time) - and this post feels more like an admission than any kind of brag.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

My wife has this story where she saw smashing pumpkins. They played for like an hour then stopped. A bunch of people left. Then they came back out and said "no that all the posers are gone the real show starts" and played for like 3 more hours.
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

That is pretty cool though
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

Smashing Pumpkins posers??

I saw them once as part of Lollapalooza 94. They actually sounded good and I think they played a Judas Priest cover. But that was 30 years ago and I could have just dreamt that last night
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I wouldn’t want to watch any band play for four cunting hours

SP have like an EP worth of songs I like, and those only sometimes. Also Billy Corgan is an idiot.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

Anyone who doesn't enjoy BCs songwriting doesnt actually enjoy playing guitar nor appreciate engaging songwriting; chances are they are as big of a meathead as Riley or Justin Horval.

I check out those records every few years, enjoy em for a week, then forget about them again.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Smiling politely
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Brutus Frank wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:18 am Anyone who doesn't enjoy BCs songwriting doesnt actually enjoy playing guitar nor appreciate engaging songwriting; chances are they are as big of a meathead as Riley or Justin Horval.

I check out those records every few years, enjoy em for a week, then forget about them again.
:tup2:
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Nope.

I saw a comparison to Dave Mustaine once that was so spot on, something like 'technically should have been the biggest thing in his genre, but was just too much of an opinionated idiot for the position of top dog...and then there's the matter of voice'. :lol:
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

riley-o wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:14 am I wouldn’t want to watch any band play for four cunting hours

SP have like an EP worth of songs I like, and those only sometimes. Also Billy Corgan is an idiot.
I tell that story to new friends (yeah right) and if they groan and roll their eyes at BC then get to stay.
Image Certified Poster
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

If you can listen to Mayonaise and not immediately flash back to the days of your first boner and a sense of wonder about the world, I genuinely feel sorry for you
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I didnt have a single erection until the day i heard die with your mask on by deadguy
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Toilet Fleet wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:47 pm If you can listen to Mayonaise and not immediately flash back to the days of your first boner and a sense of wonder about the world, I genuinely feel sorry for you
I understand you 🐎🐎🐎
Eight Bit Alien

It's EXACTLY like that
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

I didn't care for the early stuff. Siamese Dream has some bangers but some skippable stuff too. Mellon Collie whatever has some great songs and a TON of skippable stuff. That could have been 1 great album instead of a mostly boring double album. I was obsessed with Zero when that album came out though. I haven't heard anything past that.
Eight Bit Alien

The good guys are winning one of my polls for once
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Gotta grab that one yellow Walkman (you know the one) and damn right I’m bumping Siamese Dream as I walk to the local Hallmark tchotchke shop because they’re selling boosters of Fallen Empires for way less than anyplace else

Might even pick up a copy of Rolling Stone because that’s what the older kids do

That core memory got unlocked by this thread
Eight Bit Alien

This was an outtake. AN OUTTAKE

THIS WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH
Eight Bit Alien

Toilet Fleet wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:04 am Gotta grab that one yellow Walkman (you know the one) and damn right I’m bumping Siamese Dream as I walk to the local Hallmark tchotchke shop because they’re selling boosters of Fallen Empires for way less than anyplace else

Might even pick up a copy of Rolling Stone because that’s what the older kids do

That core memory got unlocked by this thread

Regular color discman but orange headphones, siamese dream, 7-11 for mad magazine and slurpee

jesus christ

I did that 3 mile walk multiple times a week just for beef jerky. I was almost never happier