First episode of Twink Peaks premiered 20 years ago today.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

First episode of Twink Peaks premiered 20 years ago today.

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Kyle MacLachlan played FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, who headed the investigation of Laura Palmer's brutal murder on Twin Peaks. Michael Ontkean played Harry Truman, Cooper's assistant.
t
April 8, 2010. Back in the summer of 1989, I was invited to a sneak preview of a TV pilot. I didn't know anything about it, but the moment I heard its opening theme music, I got shivers that didn't go away. This was TV the way I dreamed it could be — funny, menacing, mysterious. In fact, it was so weird and wonderful that, as I walked from the theater, I remember saying, "Too bad no network will ever put it on the air."

Goes to show what I know. What I'd seen, of course, was the pilot of Twin Peaks, and several months later, ABC did put it on the air, creating an instant sensation. It wasn't simply that the program was a hit or that Time put David Lynch on its cover, dubbing him a genius. Here was a show that had everyone talking the next day about the startling things they'd seen the night before — you know, a spooky reflection of the long-haired Killer BOB, or the time that the sexpot Audrey Horne tied the cherry stem into a knot with her tongue.

By now, everyone knows the plot. In the small lumbering town of Twin Peaks, a high school girl, Laura Palmer, is found wrapped in plastic — she's been murdered. Enter Special Agent Dale Cooper — wittily played by Kyle McLachlan — a chipper FBI man obsessed with coffee, diner food and Tibetan mysticism. Cooper soon discovers that far from being an amusingly offbeat outpost of innocent Americana, Twin Peaks is a bubbling caldron of vice. Everybody has secrets, which are uncovered in a fashion that might be called leisurely.

If you ask Lynch what he cares about most, he'll tell you it's creating a mood you want to be in. Twin Peaks does that with a vengeance, from its dark, slated photography to the incomparably enveloping score by Angelo Badalamenti. Keeping us off balance, the tone leapfrogs between the silly and the sinister, the comic and the tragic, never more so than in Ray Wise's dazzling performance as Laura's father, Leland Palmer, who's sobbing one moment, breaking into song and dance the next.

Twin Peaks smuggled avant-garde into prime time, brimming with a surrealism you just didn't encounter back then. Remember that weird room with the dwarf who talked backwards? It took cultural stereotypes — the straight-arrow FBI agent, the teen hottie, the wannabe James Dean, the corrupt small-town businessman — and pushed them until they exploded. The result was an often-hilarious show bursting with raw emotion.

For all its brilliance, Twin Peaks did lose its way. The first season was astounding, as were the episodes in the second season that solved Laura Palmer's murder. But the others were pointless, and the world quickly turned against it and Lynch. When he brought out his Twin Peaks movie, Fire Walk with Me in 1992, it was pilloried — even though, after a lousy first 20 minutes, this story about Laura Palmer is one of the most wrenching portraits of teenage life ever filmed.

But Lynch has always outlasted those eager to write him off. His 2001 movie, Mulholland Drive, recently won most critics' polls as the best film of the past decade, and Twin Peaks is today recognized as a landmark. His work always feels dreamily timeless, and watching the series now you're struck by how much has come out of it — for instance, Stephenie Meyer's use of the Pacific Northwest in Twilight. It blazed a trail that led not just to The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but to HBO series like Deadwood and Six Feet Under.

Yet the real importance of Twin Peaks lay not in its direct influence — there's still nothing quite like it on TV. It mattered because, like Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective in Britain, it revealed the untapped possibilities of television. And like all the greatest works of pop culture, it did something more. It broadened public taste. Laura Palmer, Agent Cooper and the Log Lady didn't merely entertain us. They left the American mainstream a whole lot wider.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Re: First episode of Twink Peaks premiered 20 years ago today.

Post by soiled depends »

Hey look at that, a skyclad thread about sittin' on the couch with his thumb up his ass.....
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Hahahaha... Twink Peaks!!! I'm leaving that fucker like it is!
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

soiled depends wrote:Hey look at that, a skyclad thread about sittin' on the couch with his thumb up his ass.....

I told you, once you get a few years under your belt at a decent job, you can sit around in your free time too.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

jesus christ someone ban this guy to his corner
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

riley-o wrote:jesus christ someone ban this guy to his corner

Do I ruin your otherwise awesome Reeelapse boardin' experience? if so, good.
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

Show sucked.
Xbox live: dashboardmelted or HAPF
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

F/K/A HAPF wrote:Season 2 sucked. and Northern Exposure was better.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

All lameness aside, I have this on DVD and still watch it. It remains haunting, IMO.
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
F/K/A HAPF wrote:Season 2 sucked. and Northern Exposure was better.
No. Neither show were worth watching. Twin Peaks had promise and blew their load too early. Northern Exposure would have been better if it had never been recorded and was known only through oral tradition. Too bad anyone wanting to talk about it will be dead in 10 years from heart failure due to morbid obesity.
Xbox live: dashboardmelted or HAPF
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Hahahaha... Twink Peaks!!! I'm leaving that fucker like it is!
the K is right between the N and the P... it's so easy to visualize his fat fucking paw just dragging ass between the words, hitting random keys on its sluggish path to mediocre thread authoring
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

Post by IwishIwasalittlegirl »

Season 2 gets a pass because of the sheer awesomeness of the final episode.
The key to permanent consciousness increase was a hole in the skull. To restore the full brain pulsation of infancy. The key to more consciousness is sitting in the next room over. How can I know this and not unlock the door?
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

Bored, Esq. wrote:All lameness aside, I have this on DVD and still watch it. It remains haunting, IMO.
Agreed. I didn't realize there were so many Twin Peaks detractors.
http://failed.bandcamp.com
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:i would so slap on a strap on and rape his ass.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Necrometer wrote:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Hahahaha... Twink Peaks!!! I'm leaving that fucker like it is!
the K is right between the N and the P... it's so easy to visualize his fat fucking paw just dragging ass between the words, hitting random keys on its sluggish path to mediocre thread authoring

retardation is impossible to cure...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Necrometer wrote:

Vaguely Fox News.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

skyclad post your BMIQ

that's your IQ divided by your BMI
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Necrometer wrote:skyclad post your BMIQ

that's your IQ divided by your BMI

Post your need to know my BMI. That's your obsession with me divided by your lack of worthwhile things to post about.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I have a need to know your BMI, based on my desire as a researcher to gather evidence to support or refute the reliability of your claim that you are not fat much longer.