The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by ungodlywarlock »

awesome, i'm going to do this next time i play. you do mean leveling up the flame itself at the firelink shrine, right? i maxed it out there, so i should be able to head to the chaos girl and do that soon.
No, not the bonfire.
After you killed the Capra Demon, you must have started to make your way down into the depths. Once in the depths (and near the meat butcher, I believe), there is a room with a guy stuck in a barrel. Hopefully you saved him already and didn't accidentally kill him. If you saved him, he should be back at Firelink Shrine just chillin' cross-legged on the ground near the bonfire. When you talk to him, he'll offer to sell you spells and also upgrade your hand-flame. Spend the dough to raise it up to like +15 and then after that it's maxed (as far as he is concerned). After that, you can go the to old chick in Blighttown and pump it up to Ascended Flame +5.

Each time you upgrade that handflame, it will make your pyro spells nastier. Pyro spells don't scale off of intelligence initially, so this is how you make the fire awesome.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

oh shit, yeah i meant upgrading the pyromancy flame itself, not the bonfire flame. since doad said fireball+5 i didn't know if that meant you could upgrade a fireball spell or something? but i have the pyromancy flame maxed out at firelink, so i'll ascend it next time i play :tup:

also, for invading, i think i went like 0 for 15 before giving up. i invaded a ton of magic characters who were using crazy spells i didn't even know existed and it was honestly pretty embarrassing.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

hey, now i know i need to do that shit before that chaos girl gets killed off, so it's all good.

also, your earlier post: i thought the lightning spear+5 made it fairly easy to get through the sen's fortress boss and most of anor lando, so it might not be worth going back to get that sword at this point. just make sure you find the merchant after the bonfire in sen's fortress to buy some titanite so you can upgrade it.

and as far as i know, you have to have a +10 normal weapon (like some type of curved sword for quelaag's soul, for example) to use a boss's soul and create a new weapon. then you can upgrade THOSE weapons using demon titanite... which usually leads to something devastating as hell.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

sorta interesting interview with hidetaka miyazaki, director of dark souls. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211926p1.html gets into some of the design philosophy behind the game and what not.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Semi-annoying NG+ discoveries:

-Only Quelaana can further upgrade an ascended Pyromancy Flame, so now I have to go down to Blighttown everytime I want to do that, and I don't have the Lordvessel to warp to Quelaag's Domain yet. Derrderr.

-Anastacia of Astora is the designated Firekeeper for the bonfire at the Firelink Shrine, so if you let Lautrec murder her, that bonfire becomes unusable. Derrderr.

Today's glorious victories:

-Got Gaping Dragon's tail off and keel'd 'im on the first try
-Quelaag is basically a joke if you have Crystal Ring Shield
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

spacehamster wrote: -Anastacia of Astora is the designated Firekeeper for the bonfire at the Firelink Shrine, so if you let Lautrec murder her, that bonfire becomes unusable. Derrderr.
You can revive her.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Friendly Goatus wrote:
You can revive her.
Oh, so she just comes back and everything goes back to normal if you go after Lautrec? Nice. I'll do that today.

I'm pretty much back exactly where I was after 1.5 playthroughs in Demon's Souls here... everything is still new enough to be challenging, but the game is somehow actually more fun if you know where to go and what to do. This shit is so addictive, I swear.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

You also get Lautrecs awesome armor that way too
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Thanks, got it. Of course my problem is that since I have the entire Elite Knight set at +9, pretty much all other armor is useless to me. Lautrec's seems to have the highest curse resistance, though, so I'll use it for Seath this time.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

Well, I beat it and have started NG+. Will probably take a little break from the game to finish up some freelance and then play Skyrim.
But damn, what an awesome game. The music that played in the last fight almost made me kinda sad to fight him. :(
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

ungodlywarlock wrote: The music that played in the last fight almost made me kinda sad to fight him. :(
It sort of helped to calm me down during the fight. :tup:
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

yeah man, i just went back into anor lando to enter the painted world and was still seriously impressed by how amazing it looks. and aside from it containing probably the most annoying part in the game so far (the two archers), it was pretty tolerable as far as difficulty goes. probably my favorite area in the game up to this point
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I think yesterday I finally hit that point where I need to put this game down for a week or so before I get back to work on the platinum. I could actually go in about five different directions at the moment, but with every one of them I just don't feel like doing it, so I joined the forest covenant and, well, what Riley said. At one point I kept getting summoned to the same guy's game about three times in a row, and he was just standing around with the same White, waiting for people to invade so they could jump them. It's just ridiculously hard if you can't heal. I'll probably try again with the Darkmoon covenant (I still need nine, fucking NINE Souvenirs of Reprisal, dammit) - I'm thinking since you can get summoned anywhere in that covenant, at least you're not constantly running into people who are just waiting to get invaded.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

so i was in the catacombs and just got this message (and i have joined the gravelord covenant or whatever it's called): "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant." anyone have an idea what this means? as far i know i haven't beaten anything called the "gravelord servant" ? no one other sites seems to know what the hell they're talking about
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:so i was in the catacombs and just got this message (and i have joined the gravelord covenant or whatever it's called): "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant." anyone have an idea what this means? as far i know i haven't beaten anything called the "gravelord servant" ? no one other sites seems to know what the hell they're talking about
IIRC there's something or other that makes it so you can't be invaded by people in the Gravelord covenant anymore.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

I really wish I had learned about weapon ascention before going to anor londo: I'm going to have a stroke if I die one more time by these two. Maybe a +5 flaming iaito will do the trick this time around...
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Ghost Dad wrote:these two
Who, the archers?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

whoopsie! No, smough and ornstein. My pyromancy is pretty weak, so that approach is out the window.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I've never beaten those two without help, and I don't mind admitting this. Apparently the trick is to kill Ornstein first.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

spacehamster wrote:I've never beaten those two without help

you have no idea what you are missing

also I may have to start playing this again, I keep looking over at it longingly while I play Skyrim while nothing ever happens
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

spacehamster wrote:I've never beaten those two without help, and I don't mind admitting this. Apparently the trick is to kill Ornstein first.
Easier said than done. The enemy lock-on function is fucking me up, because ornstein moves around so much, and smough is so big that he obscures my view. I'm going to kill smough first though, as you get the added bonus of being able to acquire ornstein's gear.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

have fun with that as ornstein goes super saiyan on you
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

copstache wrote:have fun with that as ornstein goes super saiyan on you
That, plus Ornstein's armor is pretty much useless. Can't be upgraded, its only real advantage is the relatively high curse resistance, and Lautrec's armor has it beat in that department. It just looks really cool, and that's about it.

I'm trying to get Seath's tail atm, and it's driving me nuts. The trick where you get him to attack the gizmo that replenishes his health really doesn't work all that well seeing as how the side tails block the way to his rear. By the time I'm back there, he's always swinging it around again. Aghaghagh.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

copstache wrote:have fun with that as ornstein goes super saiyan on you
At least I'll have a bigger target to hit. I have a fast character, and even with dashing across the hall, I only get about 5 seconds alone with ornstein before slough comes charging in with an unblockable swing.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

JUST GIVE ME

FIVE SECONDS ALOOOOOOO
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES