Lycia

Music posts are a bannable offense.
triple clutcher v2.5b
This drum machine utterly confounds me.

Re: Lycia

Post by triple clutcher v2.5b »

Bored, Esq. wrote:Both Godflesh (their early stuff anyway) and Lycia use the simplest beats possible.
Lycia's programming was kind of interesting since it seemed uninformed by 'real' drumming at times ... there'd be some kind of lopsided kick/snare rhythm under a differently lopsided cymbal/tambourine rhythm, which if nothing else helped take the edge off of how horrible their drum sounds were.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Bored, Esq. wrote:Wow...girl music.
We just had a Xasthur thread though.
necrothrash
I like to smell things.

Post by necrothrash »

Dann O))) wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Dann O))) wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:It would be awesome if a band combined Godflesh and Lycia's sound.
Isn't that Jesu at times?
I don't know. I've only heard like...one Jesu song.
This is more like (Type O Negative)^fag

Not hearing the Godflesh influence at all....
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

necrothrash wrote:
Dann O))) wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Dann O))) wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:It would be awesome if a band combined Godflesh and Lycia's sound.
Isn't that Jesu at times?
I don't know. I've only heard like...one Jesu song.
This is more like (Type O Negative)^fag

Not hearing the Godflesh influence at all....
That tone!?!? How could it be anyone else?
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

triple clutcher v2.5b wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:Both Godflesh (their early stuff anyway) and Lycia use the simplest beats possible.
Lycia's programming was kind of interesting since it seemed uninformed by 'real' drumming at times ... there'd be some kind of lopsided kick/snare rhythm under a differently lopsided cymbal/tambourine rhythm, which if nothing else helped take the edge off of how horrible their drum sounds were.
Yeah, I've talked to guys before who tried to throw in "random" stuff in their programming so it "sounds more human." If there's stuff that sounds off in Lycia's drums it's because they had no idea what they were doing. But I guess that's what you're saying.

With Lycia...well, for me, it would be pretty easy to assemble a greatest hits CD and then just have that forever. About 58% of their material totally misses me.
_-_-_-_-
Streetcleaner

Post by _-_-_-_- »

I always thought that Justin Broadrick outdid all his Jesu stuff with this Godflesh song...

White Like Jesus
How's them beans, ma?

Post by White Like Jesus »

Bored, Esq. wrote: With Lycia...well, for me, it would be pretty easy to assemble a greatest hits CD and then just have that forever. About 58% of their material totally misses me.
This is how I'd do it, anyway:

1. The Dust Settles (part 3)
2. The Last Day
3. Nine Hours Later
4. Tainted
5. Bare
6. A Brief Glimpse
7. Cold, Black Room (from the Bleak sessions)
8. Pray
9. A Presence In The Woods
10. Baltica
11. It's Okay To Be Small
12. Frozen
13. Where Has All The Time Gone
14. Pygmallion
15. Later
mastoman
How's them beans, ma?

Post by mastoman »

in4later
triple clutcher v2.5b

Bored, Esq. wrote:Yeah, I've talked to guys before who tried to throw in "random" stuff in their programming so it "sounds more human." If there's stuff that sounds off in Lycia's drums it's because they had no idea what they were doing. But I guess that's what you're saying.
Yeah, it's not humanization so much as not treating a drum machine like it's just a drummer with plastic buttons and a 1/4" jack. I think it's mostly a feature of "Estrella" though, right now I'm listening to "Cold" and it's just lots of slow boom-tsssh. :tdown:
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

triple clutcher v2.5b wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:Yeah, I've talked to guys before who tried to throw in "random" stuff in their programming so it "sounds more human." If there's stuff that sounds off in Lycia's drums it's because they had no idea what they were doing. But I guess that's what you're saying.
Yeah, it's not humanization so much as not treating a drum machine like it's just a drummer with plastic buttons and a 1/4" jack. I think it's mostly a feature of "Estrella" though, right now I'm listening to "Cold" and it's just lots of slow boom-tsssh. :tdown:
Well...even with a song as cool as "Baltica", listen to how utterly annoying the drums are. That first/main beat with the shitty Alesis ride and hi-hat alternating, imagine a drummer doing that IRL. Ha! It's so irritating I can barely stomach the track sometimes.

But RE: that song, notice how easily it could be translated into metal and sound awesome. I'm guessing it would sound exactly like latter Unholy or Shape of Despair.
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

That song is totally Shape Of Despair.
triple clutcher v2.5b

Bored, Esq. wrote:Well...even with a song as cool as "Baltica", listen to how utterly annoying the drums are. That first/main beat with the shitty Alesis ride and hi-hat alternating, imagine a drummer doing that IRL. Ha! It's so irritating I can barely stomach the track sometimes.

But RE: that song, notice how easily it could be translated into metal and sound awesome. I'm guessing it would sound exactly like latter Unholy or Shape of Despair.
haha, I actually like that stuff ... IMO it's better than hearing ping-ping-pingpingping via the same ride sample. But I do agree that having a drummer play like that on a real kit would be super obnoxious though.

Now that I'm giving them a good listen for the first time in a while, I think Lycia is sort of like what depressive BM should be (assuming it's still boxy POD nonsense). It's morose and 'artsy' enough to namedrop when trying to woo girls who are wearing fishnets and too much eyeliner, but not so much that I'd feel embarassed for doing so. :awesome:
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

triple clutcher v2.5b wrote:when trying to woo girls who are wearing fishnets and too much eyeliner
Well, that's what it's all about, ain't it?

:tup:
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I do like me some loveliescrushing

sometimes I wish I had my Love Spirals Downwards CDs again, didn't I happen to sell those to you Dann?
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

mithrandir wrote:I do like me some loveliescrushing

sometimes I wish I had my Love Spirals Downwards CDs again, didn't I happen to sell those to you Dann?
Nope, I've had mine since they came out.