Anyone kayak?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Anyone kayak?

Post by The Torsion »

I used to take my open kayak on the bayou in front of my parents' house all the time during spring and summer when I was in college. I knew some guys from Jersey that went surf kayaking up there a lot too, always wanted to try it. Anyone do any whitewater, or better yet, surf kayaking?
Haha,
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Re: Anyone kayak?

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

I do a little kayaking, just lakes and rivers though. My old landlord used to do whitewater, he was always trying to get me to go, I don't think I have the balance for it though.
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

Used to be my favorite summer-camp activity when I was 10-13 yrs old, me and gf keep talking about doing the Delaware Water Gap in the summer but haven't gotten around to it. Even on a placid lake it's a great workout and fun. I could see myself trying the wilder stuff too.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Can't wait for the spring to go kayaking.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

I still have that kayak. I need to hit it up sometime soon. It's a sit on top so you always get wet, and the water is still only about 55 degrees.
Haha,
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

Hell-haine wrote:Can't wait for the spring to go kayaking.
How does the spring go kayaking?
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

Fuck no, although I should. The first man-made kayak run(?) in the western hemisphere is right here in my town. I love canoeing down the St. Joe river in the summer but I may add kayaking this time around.
everyone is miserable, xasthur fans are bigger liars
-smoeone
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

toobin'
kale
kelly
lethal

Post by kelly »

Yes! This is my favorite! I don't own my own though because I don't have anywhere to store one. But it's easy enough to go to the rental places or borrow a friend's and there are plenty of places here to go to do it. We also have a natural springs river that is four hours long which is my first choice whenever I can get some people to go with me. We take two cars, park one at the beginning and one at the end. You can do a pretty leisurely ride down or workout going against current. The water is so cold but being out there is so fresh and amazing, and the water is so clear so you can see all the fish and underwater plants.
copstache wrote: fisshhshticksss
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

I grew up on a tidal bayou, so it was like a current. I'd go out and see if the tide was coming in or going out, then go out against the tide, come back with the tide. One time, at the mouth of a lagoon across from the house, I got hit by something under the water that nearly flipped me over. I didn't think much of it, but I saw my dad standing on the dock looking at where I was at with binoculars. When I got back to the dock, he told me he saw manatees all over the mouth of the lagoon. If I'd seen that manatee I think I would've pissed myself.
Haha,
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

kelly wrote: We also have a natural springs river that is four hours long which is my first choice whenever I can get some people to go with me. We take two cars, park one at the beginning and one at the end.
:moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome:
We're going kayaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

The Torsion wrote: If I'd seen that manatee I think I would've pissed myself.
No biggie, you were in water.
-smoeone
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Teebore wrote:
Nothing washes away the shame.
Haha,
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

The Torsion wrote:
Teebore wrote:
Nothing washes away the shame.
Who was I kidding. :cry:
-smoeone
kelly
lethal

Post by kelly »

Hell-haine wrote:
kelly wrote: We also have a natural springs river that is four hours long which is my first choice whenever I can get some people to go with me. We take two cars, park one at the beginning and one at the end.
:moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome:
We're going kayaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes ma'am :)

Torsion, that happened to me once when I was kayaking too! I remember getting kind of nervous, despite knowing they are totally harmless. Now I'm getting really amped to get back on the water. The weather is getting nice lately, but what's better is the really dreadfully hot days on the springs.
copstache wrote: fisshhshticksss
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Yeah, they're harmless, they're also gigantic.

Something a little scarier was when I used to work for a dredging company right out of college, and we had to swim with a grade rod with a prism on top for the total station about a thousand feet off shore so below sea level elevations could be measured where the boat taking the depth soundings couldn't get to because of sand bars. When you're in 15 to 20 feet of water in the Gulf, dolphins swimming near you suddenly seem a lot larger and more menacing. When I was swimming, I could hear their squeaks in the water, but I could never see them until they surfaced almost in arm's reach. Not gonna lie, I did not feel tough.
Haha,
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

Haha I got surprised by dolphins too at Fort Desoto beach, they hang out there pretty often.
It took me a second to realize they weren't sharks.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Hell, I knew they weren't sharks and they still scared me. They don't have big mouths and teeth but they can still beat you like a ragdoll, and they had 1000lbs. on me.
Haha,
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

The Torsion wrote:Hell, I knew they weren't sharks and they still scared me. They don't have big mouths and teeth but they can still beat you like a ragdoll, and they had 1000lbs. on me.
You never tapped out a dolphin before...
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

After almost drowning while whitewater rafting, I'm pretty much done w/ anything involving whitewater :tdown:

Kayaking looks really fun though, and I may take it up someday if I ever move to an area suited for it.
ImageImageImage
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

One time I was sitting out in the Pacific and a I look up and see a dolphin flying through the air straight towards me. I yelped. He landed about 2 feet away, splashed me. I think he was just bein' a dick.
kale
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I was kayaking yesterday... ate some chinese... didn't agree with me. I kayaked all over the place :(
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

ImageImageImage
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

I haven't been in a long ass time, the last time I went I was actually riding a tube down some pretty fucked rapids and got banged up as it was impossible to stay on the fucking thing. I want to go this summer, dunno where or when but I'm getting out of the damn house after all this winter bullshit
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

neckbeard wrote:One time I was sitting out in the Pacific and a I look up and see a dolphin flying through the air straight towards me. I yelped. He landed about 2 feet away, splashed me. I think he was just bein' a dick.
:awesome:

Well, they can be real dicks sometimes for sure.